PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Not Pumping

Springer
11-04-2013, 06:30 AM
2013 Cougar 327 RES. Was set-up with antifreeze in the fresh water tank, turned on the water pump but never got any flow. Can hear the pump working. Anyone out there have issues with their pump? Is there a valve I'm not aware? Only thing I can think of is that the line from the pump to the tank is not connected.
I called my dealer but they were no help. I will eventually install an in-line bypass so in the future I won't have to put the antifreeze in the fresh water tank.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Springer

Jables
11-04-2013, 06:39 AM
How many gallons did you put in the tank? It'll take a couple of cases most likely to pick it up. I just ordered a quick connect fitting and a chunk of hose for my flojet pump so I can winterize without stinking up the tank.

therink
11-04-2013, 06:54 AM
X2- you will likely need at least 6 gallons of antifreeze to reach pick up tube in the tank (depending on where it is set). It is much easier to install a bypass valve and hose on the inlet side off water pump. Camco makes a kit or you can make one with material found at most home stores.
If it is just a priming issue, try turning on the pump and open one cold faucet and let pump run for a minute or two. By opening a faucet, it allows air to leave system as pump builds up prime.

JRTJH
11-04-2013, 06:55 AM
As Jables said,, You've got to get enough fluid in the water tank to reach the pickup hose. Usually, if you drain the tank completely, it will take a couple (maybe more) gallons to fill the tank enough so your pickup will be submerged. This is one of the reasons many of us don't drain the tank and pour antifreeze into it. It takes a good deal more antifreeze to winterize this way. Pumping from the antifreeze container into the water pump usually is cheaper and easier to accomplish.

If you're intent to continue winterizing from the tank, and assuming your water pump was working to pump water before you drained the tank, then add more antifreeze until the pump starts picking it up.

MarkS
11-04-2013, 06:57 AM
Also, the trailer needs to be level or tilted toward the FW pump inlet for the pump to pump from a nearly empty tank.

Springer
11-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. There is at least 4 1/2 gallons of antifreeze in the tank. It is sitting level at this time. Maybe because we opened all of the faucets the air was unable to purge.
My last rig had the in-line bypass and I thought this one did also. I'm in agreement that using the fresh water tank is not the best method and will rectify that shortly.

Having to take it by the dealer next week any way for an issue with entry steps but will try an additional 2 gallons to see it that was the issue.

Thanks again to all who replied. I love the information and helpfulness of the members.

Until Spring

JRTJH
11-04-2013, 07:52 AM
If you can access your water pump, all you need is the Flojet elbow adapter and a few feet of clear vinyl hose and you're set to pump antifreeze into the pump inlet. It's a simple "pull the blue lever, remove the inlet hose, insert the antifreeze hose, push the blue lever" and you're set to go. The adapter costs about $3 (much cheaper than filling the tank with antifreeze up to the pickup point !!!!

Springer
11-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks John. Another option to explore.