PDA

View Full Version : Battery for winter

erjs05
10-31-2013, 02:30 PM
We live in New England and I've always charged my battery and brought it inside for the winter. Is there a downside to leaving it on the camper and keeping the camper plug in all winter? Right now it's sitting in the driveway with a fully charged battery and the camper is plugged into a 30amp service, thanks for any advice.

Festus2
10-31-2013, 02:45 PM
I've never bought my batteries in over the winter and as long as the water levels are maintained and they are in a fully charged condition, they have done just fine. You can use a trickle charger on them or plug in your RV to shore power on a regular basis and let the converter charge them up. You don't have to leave your RV plugged in all the time - just make sure the batteries don't become discharged or are left to sit with little or no water.

bp926
10-31-2013, 02:49 PM
erjs05

I have always left the tt plugged in through the winter. I will every so often unplug to give the battery something to do. I had my last battery over 5 years.

Brian

erjs05
10-31-2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys.

AlCorr
03-07-2014, 04:17 AM
erjs05

I have always left the tt plugged in through the winter. I will every so often unplug to give the battery something to do. I had my last battery over 5 years.

Brian

I do the same, leave it plugged to shore power all winter, while unplugging once in awhile to give the batteries something to do.

GaryWT
03-07-2014, 05:37 AM
I, for whatever reason, take the battery out for the winter and have it sitting on a shelf in the basement. I will put it in the end of this month or April and the trailer will be plugged in until October. In the days that we had a golf cart, we use to charge the batteries and hope they made it through the winter without freezing. Anyway I am sure it is fine either way.

TLB
03-09-2014, 08:39 AM
I pulled mine in September and but a battery tender on it for the winter.

bsmith0404
03-09-2014, 11:52 AM

X2...well Oct not Sep.

moose308
03-11-2014, 02:30 AM
battery tender from Harbor freight works great

Cracker727
12-04-2018, 02:41 AM

What make and model of battery tender do you use?

RagingRobert
12-04-2018, 02:59 AM
Yes a battery "tender" is perfect. A trickle charge will eventually overcharge your battery and can be dangerous. Just passing on some good info I received from here. Mines set up in the garage.

RagingRobert
12-04-2018, 03:02 AM
Here's the one I purchased from amazon.
"Battery Tender Plus 021-0128, 1.25 Amp Battery Charger is a Smart Charger, it will Fully Charge and Maintain a Battery at Proper Storage Voltage without the Damaging Effects Caused by Trickle Chargers"

spade117
12-04-2018, 06:46 AM
"Battery Tender Plus 021-0128, 1.25 Amp Battery Charger

I use the same one.

UsTwo
12-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Well I leave my battery in and use a solar charger I got from Amazon. Just finished 4th year on the same battery.

PARAPTOR
12-04-2018, 12:10 PM
Decided to add this info from a portion of another post since it has a reference to Batteries in storage as well as Gen Maintenance. :banghead:

Over the last 6+ years I have never removed the batteries during the winter storage months. The first 4 years I did not have the Raptor hooked to power using a 15 Amp connection but ran the generator once a month under load around 45 minutes. during this time the on board converter charged the battery during that time with no issues.

The last 2+ years in storage I have had the Raptor hooked to power with an extension cord and rely on the on board converter to take care of the batteries. Same generator procedure, of course when the gen fires up the transfer switch transfers power from the 15 Amp service to the Gen.

Knock on wood over all these years I have had no battery or generator issues

RagingRobert
12-04-2018, 12:49 PM
I guess there's many ways to maintain a battery but when in storage you have to remove it and maintain it elsewhere. You never want to let it die and freeze.

PARAPTOR
12-04-2018, 05:32 PM
I guess there's many ways to maintain a battery but when in storage you have to remove it and maintain it elsewhere. You never want to let it die and freeze.

Members store their rigs differently in the winter months, some of us store the rig near their home, some do not have access while in storage, some have access to power and some not, therefore as you stated different ways to maintain a battery.

sourdough
12-04-2018, 06:55 PM

This quote would not be correct for many folks. I've never done that and never had any issues, in fact lots less work than removing the batteries, finding a place to put them, put battery tenders on them etc. Mine just take care of themselves...….more or less:D

66joej
12-05-2018, 05:09 AM

I'm thinking you mean pull them if there is no AC power to run the converter.

RagingRobert
12-05-2018, 06:45 AM
Yes, my trailer is stored in a outdoor facility with no hydro and a lot of winter. I would have to go there every what 4-6 weeks, bring the generator and charge it. Much easier to bring it home. I wish I had a big enough driveway....

chuckster57
12-05-2018, 07:13 AM
I wish I had a big enough driveway....

RV storage was a requirement when we were buying and found our house in 2000.

RagingRobert
12-05-2018, 07:23 AM
That will be in the next retirement house along with a bungalow and neighbours way over there somewhere :) When I bought this house many years ago, we had a tent and a sleeping bag to tow around :)

Stumpy75
12-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Here's what I use.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITK8S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1