PDA

View Full Version : And Yet Another Winterizing Thread

K4BEV
10-29-2013, 07:19 AM
Wouldn't it be better to put Olive Oil in the toilet instead of antifreeze?
It seems to me that OO would help keep the seals lubed better than the pink stuff would....
???

Festus2
10-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Oh no!! :eek: How did you find out about Olive Oil? :confused: Wait 'til JRTJH and Geo read this post! Being a fairly new member, you probably don't realize that you have opened, not the proverbial "Can of Worms" but a Bottle of Olive Oil.!!!!....:D

JRTJH
10-29-2013, 07:33 AM
FESTUS 2, I was typing while you posted..... DARN You "barely beat me" but you were first with your "warning about JRTJH and Geo" LOL Now, whose turn is it to bring the lettuce ????

Either would work well. OO has a possibility of becoming rancid with the "heat/cold" cycles and could attract rodents by the smell.

Antifreeze has "siliconized lubricants" (according to the advertising) that help "condition and lubricate" the seals.

I do like the smell of "fresh" olive oil, but after it sits for 4 or 5 months, it does havea particular odor that isn't always pleasant. Antifreeze, on the other hand....... :)

Besides, the way I winterize by blowing out the lines, then adding antifreeze, when I flush the toilet and get a good flow of "pink", when I let off on the pedal, the "pink" just naturally fills the bowl to the right depth for storage :)

Jim W
10-29-2013, 07:43 AM
Wouldn't it be better to put Olive Oil in the toilet instead of antifreeze?
It seems to me that OO would help keep the seals lubed better than the pink stuff would....
???

I use anti-freeze in the fall in the toilet to winterize the camper. I than will add the Olive/Peanut oil in the spring when I de-winterize the camper. This was the procedure outline in a book that I bought when I first started pulling a 5er. Been using this procedure every since with no issues what's so every.

Jim W.

K4BEV
10-29-2013, 07:56 AM
(tx)
Guess I'll stick with the pink :D
I'm one of those guys that's just not a fan of rats & other rodents - or yuck smells either.

BTW - When we got this trailer I read about every post on this site - That's where I read about the OO and the seals --- Or at least I think this is where I read about it. Sometimes I'm not sure about.....
What were we talking about :confused:

JRTJH
10-29-2013, 08:22 AM
This is where you read about the olive oil and seals... Not the "marine seals" but the "toidy seals" You can "thank" Geo for that.... I think I recall that he "started it all" :cool:

hankpage
10-29-2013, 08:25 AM
(tx)
Sometimes I'm not sure about.....
What were we talking about :confused:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1587 I'm not sure either, but I suddenly have a craving for salad. Maybe someone was looking for extra virgins or was that a different forum. :D

Festus2
10-29-2013, 09:26 AM
[ Maybe someone was looking for extra virgins or was that a different forum. :D

Dream on, Hank. Dream on. As a Moderator, you should know that this is a family-oriented forum and there are some topics that we just can't talk about. Dream on.

SAABDOCTOR
10-29-2013, 10:14 AM
FESTUS extra virgin is a show on the cooking channel... what you talking about?:D

hankpage
10-29-2013, 10:24 AM
EVOO of course .... now back to my cooking forum. :rolleyes:

geo
10-29-2013, 10:33 AM
This is where you read about the olive oil and seals... Not the "marine seals" but the "toidy seals" You can "thank" Geo for that.... I think I recall that he "started it all" :cool:

Hmmm, as I look at the archived posts and threads . . .

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4959

It certainly appears to me that "geo" is far down on this list of posts . . .

Now who is the first post? :D

And the second post? :eek:

And the third post???????

And who started this all . . .

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2097&page=2

And poor, innocent, kind, gentle, and naive Geo gets blamed . . . :rolleyes:

(Well, I did send that PM to JRTJH . . . didn't I?)

Ron

hankpage
10-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the update Ron. Being #3 I guess I will just have to try harder in the future. Everyone knows that #1 and #2 are the real trouble makers anyway. They just drag us into it every time. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1107 , Hank ......... I guess it is okay to blame it on Jim, since he has gone over to the dark side.

Festus2
10-29-2013, 11:28 AM
FESTUS extra virgin is a show on the cooking channel... what you talking about?:D

Barney -
The CRTC, the Canadian TV watchdog, would never allow a TV show called "Extra Virgin" to hit the airwaves. That's why I've never heard of it. Besides, why would I watch a cooking channel when I can watch hockey? or the World Series?

The next time we go cross the border, I'll see if I can pick up "Extra Virgin". I've heard that "you're never too old to learn".... right, Hank? Which USA network carries it? Hope it isn't on after 9 pm.

geo
10-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the update Ron. Being #3 I guess I will just have to try harder in the future. Everyone knows that #1 and #2 are the real trouble makers anyway. They just drag us into it every time. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1107 , Hank ......... I guess it is okay to blame it on Jim, since he has gone over to the dark side.

Hank -

Yessir! You are correct. We get blamed and we are just so innocent! My, my! :D

Ron

JRTJH
10-29-2013, 12:08 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :rolleyes:

Mark TC
10-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Ok, I have a question or two about a new Outback RV, is it ok to put spray foam around all the holes in the floor for the plumbing and wiring? Also is it ok to seal the underpinning anywhere I see there may be some gaping or openings? I want to make it as tight as possible for the winter for I live in the country and do not want to open it up to mice or critter damage late. Any helpful hints?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Festus2
10-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Spraying those openings with foam would certainly be ok. On some interior gaps that are often found in storage compartments, the use of brass and/or steel wool in addition to the foam has also been used. It seems that some rodents easily chew their way through the foam and the wool makes their work a lot tougher. Seems like they haven't developed a taste for steel wool! Brass won't rust so this may be a better but more expensive option.

hankpage
10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
X2 on the foam ... Just be sure the cavity you are filling is open at both ends or the expansion of the foam can cause damage.

theeyres
10-29-2013, 07:43 PM
After I got mice in the trailer I filled every gap I could find with foam and it seemed to work just fine. It took awhile to get rid of the mice but I finally did.

geo
10-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Ok, I have a question or two about a new Outback RV, is it ok to put spray foam around all the holes in the floor for the plumbing and wiring? Also is it ok to seal the underpinning anywhere I see there may be some gaping or openings? I want to make it as tight as possible for the winter for I live in the country and do not want to open it up to mice or critter damage late. Any helpful hints?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MarkTC -

If you have slides - Just do not fill the holes where the toothed rail and the polished rod (hydralics) come out of the frame. And be sure to check around the end cap.

Ron