PDA

View Full Version : Blew out hitch grease fitting

jerseyphil
10-28-2013, 02:06 PM
I have a Valley 16K 5th wheel slider hitch. The center grease fitting (for the left-right swivel) looks like a larger screw-in type zerk, but the two side fittings (for front to back swivel) are drive-type grease fittings. They press into place. There are no threads in the hitch for these fittings.

Well..... I just received my air compressor type grease gun and proceeded to blow out one of the side fittings. Obviously too much pressure. The fitting broke partially in the hitch. I got the piece out with an easy-out, but now I need to replace it. Glad my travel season is over. This is not an emergency.

Has anyone else been as stupid as me?? Has anyone else done this?

My local auto stores seem to only have the screw-type zerks. I will probably buy online, but the size is a little confusing. I have to measure the hole in the hitch for the press-in fitting.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Phil

Bob Landry
10-28-2013, 02:15 PM
I would drill and tap it for a screw-in fitting and not have to deal with that again, and do all of them while I was at it.

JRTJH
10-28-2013, 04:06 PM
I second Bob's suggestion. If you don't have much in the way of tools, a new drill bit, the correct tap, a tap handle and a handfull of new "screw-in" zerks and you won't ever have to worry about that again. Total cost, probably less than $20 and an hour of your time.

jerseyphil
10-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys. I do have the taps. I agree that is the best alternative.