PDA

View Full Version : septic systems

Steve S
10-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Hi, I want to hook up to a septic system that's 100 feet away and was wondering if it's possible. Also there's a lift pump 20 feet away that shoots off everything to the field and I was wondering if I could just hook in to that?
I was told that I can't send solids through it.
Any ideas or ways that I can do this?
(tx)

geo
10-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Hi, I want to hook up to a septic system that's 100 feet away and was wondering if it's possible. Also there's a lift pump 20 feet away that shoots off everything to the field and I was wondering if I could just hook in to that?
(tx)

Get a macerator pump that hooks to the sewer dump connection and dump to the septic tank via a hose. Don't dump to the pump and the field. Our fresh water supplies are polluted enough. Use the septic system.

x96mnn
10-25-2013, 01:49 PM
It depends on the lift station if it can handle solids or not. One designed after the septic tank will not work but one placed before should have no issue. Your issue may be the lift station driving sewer back through your system if you install it after the lift.

As for a 100 feet away, as the saying hoes **** flows down hill. Your main issue will be providing the grade to keep the flow going down hill. Most long runs have ups and downs which would need to be dug out to make it work but is possible.

Steve S
10-25-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that the lift pump can't handle solids as it handles the water run off from the sewer.
Can a maccerater pump into the lift pump or should I run a hundred feet of solid pipe to the sewer?
I just want to do this the right way without any problems down the road.

x96mnn
10-25-2013, 02:37 PM
The difference is a lift after the septic tank is not getting solids. When everything hits the tank the solids drop to the bottom pushing liquid waste up. This is what a lift is designed to handle that would have been installed to transfer the liquified waste out to the bed for perk.

If you install and dump your waste into a spot that's after the septic tank but before the septic bed it's not going to work. Will only work if your connecting before the septic tank.

Steve S
10-25-2013, 02:49 PM
OK thank you :) looks like I have to rent a trencher now.

Festus2
10-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Get a macerator pump that hooks to the sewer dump connection and dump to the septic tank via a hose. Don't dump to the pump and the field.

Our fresh water supplies are polluted enough. Use the septic system.

Steve-

Why would you even consider hooking into a system that "shoots everything off into a field" ? I am assuming that you are talking about a farm that spreads manure by means of a pump/sprinkler system? Were you considering hooking into this and combining your human sewage/crap with this manure? The farmer comes along and plants crops (corn or whatever) and we eat this stuff after you have piped in your own human waste??

Why not just drive your RV to a dump station and get rid of it properly? Or are you living it full-time and looking to get rid of it without having to move your RV?

Perhaps I am jumping to all the wrong conclusions here but please enlighten us as to what your plans are in disposing of your black tank waste in an acceptable and legal manner so that our environment isn't being contaminated with human waste from your RV.

I'm sure if you checked with our BC Provincial Health authorities, they would be able to provide you with information as to what you can or cannot do in your situation.

davidjsimons
10-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Festus, I believe he is talking about the drain field to the septic tank not an open field. At least I hope I'm right.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

Festus2
10-25-2013, 04:51 PM
David -

I hope he is not contemplating combining his sewage with the manure that is being spread on the field. His initial post did ask "if he could hook into that".

In any case, I would guess that a person just can't tie into someone's septic tank sewage system without getting approval from the local health and building inspectors to do so and to ensure that the system can handle any additional sewage coming into it.

x96mnn
10-25-2013, 05:28 PM
My assumption was the septic field, which is the common term in my area as the engineered septic bed that takes the liquid waste and filters it through sand and rock into the ground..

Steve S
10-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Festus, I believe he is talking about the drain field to the septic tank not an open field. At least I hope I'm right.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

Yes you are exactly right:):)

BobnLee
10-25-2013, 06:53 PM
You might want to check with your local Health Unit there. I know for a fact that you cannot hook into a septic in Ontario unless it is first inspected by the Health Unit and approvals are given and permits are issued.

davidjsimons
10-26-2013, 01:26 AM
The difference is a lift after the septic tank is not getting solids. When everything hits the tank the solids drop to the bottom pushing liquid waste up. This is what a lift is designed to handle that would have been installed to transfer the liquified waste out to the bed for perk.

If you install and dump your waste into a spot that's after the septic tank but before the septic bed it's not going to work. Will only work if your connecting before the septic tank.

X2 on this post.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

Jim & DJ
10-26-2013, 07:43 AM
(tx)
Sorry to say "I have a septic system" (no county system in this area) and a septic drain field that percolates into the so called drain field, four feet below the ground level. I won't even try to grow corn or whatever in that area.

Please Steve S. give us more information, like you were "not talking" of actually spraying the black tank contents into a "Field".

Steve S
10-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Please Steve S. give us more information, like you were "not talking" of actually spraying the black tank contents into a "Field".

No I'm planning to dump the black straight in to the field, I thought that it could go directly in to the lift pump but I was wrong as pointed out above.
My plan now is to dig a 100 ft trench and run it straight to the sewer tank.
That or has anyone dug a hole and put in their own tank? Does anyone have a setup that they sell to do this?

JRTJH
10-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Steve, If you have a cleanout spout on your septic tank, you can buy a macerator pump that is designed to attach to the 3" dump on your RV. Most macerator pumps will chop up the contents of the black tank fine enough to push them through a garden hose and into the cleanout spout. Most of them will pump waste through that garden hose for about 100 ft. If you dump that way and then follow the black tank with gray tanks, there "shouldn't be too much "odorus waste" left in the hose.

Even then, I'd recommend having dedicated hoses that only get used for dumping.

If you do it that way, you shouldn't disrupt your septic system's operation. Dumping 40 gallons or so into the septic tank isn't much more than dumping a couple of bath tubs full of water and since the waste is macerated, it should break down in the septic tank rather quickly. As you've indicated, you don't intend to dump into the field lines or at a point past the tank. That's the correct way to dump, into the tank (just as the house dumps into the tank) so you get benefit of settling, liquid rise to the field lines and no "solids" entering past the brush filter installed at the tank outlet to the field lines.

Sometimes you can find a used macerator kit on Craigs list rather cheaply, but full price, they're about $250. That would be much cheaper than modifying a septic system.

Steve S
10-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks John that info helped out lots :)
Having it flow a 100 ft was my concern but I now can understand how a macerator and dumping both tanks would help with the long flow.
Having both tanks on the same line makes sense as the grey water that is pretty much constant will keep things flowing.
I'm also thinking about a compost toilet, I'll post a thread about it.

michol02
10-27-2013, 12:22 AM
I use my RV as a man cave at home, and I have a Flojet macerator pump that attaches to 3/4" schedule 20 PVC pipe (via a short, clear, flexible hose). It runs 106 feet with 3 "long 90 degree" turns in it and ties into a sewer line off of my shop. At one point it goes uphill slightly. I use it often, and have only had one problem. Someone put a Lysol wipe in the toilet, and it twisted up in the macerator blades. I got it out, but it was a "stinky" job. Other than that, it chops up the waste and toilet paper well, and it pumps out a 3/4 full tank(28 gal) in a couple of minutes."bouncey:

Steve S
10-27-2013, 10:22 AM
That sounds exactly like what I have to do.
How much of a slope do you have on the pipe?

michol02
10-27-2013, 03:25 PM
There's little to no slope, and near the end, it slopes up to tie into the sewer line. There's no need to have a slope, because the macerator pump pressures it out. I hook up a water hose to the pump to clear the line after black water is finished.

michol02
10-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Pump with 1" clear hose going to 3/4" PVC. I bought clear so I can see when black water has cleared, then I pump for about 30 more seconds to clear the PVC/ sewer lines.

theeyres
10-27-2013, 08:45 PM
The macerator with a large hose would certainly be the easier answer. But if you don't want to deal with that, four inch plastic drain pipe running smoothly downhill will work just fine.

michol02
10-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Yes, if you can run drain/sewer pipe, it would be a better solution in the long run. The reason I have this system is because of the incline from the camper pad to the sewer tie-in. I buried about 60 percent of it, and the rest is up against the cement slab of the shop and I didn't feel the need to bury it(and I was wore out from digging the trench under the camper pad :yawn: )

geo
10-28-2013, 09:14 AM
(tx)

Yes, back to the original post -

There are two types of septic systems - aerobic and anaerobic. The latter, anaerobic, is the type that utilizes "waste digestion" in an oxygen-poor environment. It has no moving parts and works primarily on gravity. Sewage flows in one side, is "digested", and treated effluent flows out the other to a leach field. Every so often, the vacuum truck shows up and clears the solids from the bottom of the tank. However, in "today's world", the aerobic system has gained favor. In the aerobic system, air is constantly injected into the septic tank to promote an oxygen-rich bacterial environment to "digest" the sewage. As the effluent gathers in the "end chamber", a pump will start to aerially spray the effluent onto the treatment ground. And, yes, this system also gets visited by the vacuum truck and pumped out regularly also. Warning! Turn the aerobic system off before mowing the yard! And don't forget to turn it back on when finished! Just ask my son-in-law!

When I originally read this post, my first assumption was that the OP was describing an aerobic septic system, which I still believe is the correct assumption. Piping the black tank directly to the "lift pump" to spray on the field results in skipping the sewage treatment septic step - and would cause great harm to the aerobic septic system (and cause pollution).

I am pleased to see others joining with my macerator pump solution. It's what I have to use at the son-in-law's house! :D

Ron

Steve S
10-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, I've learned a lot and will put it to good use if I decide to go this way.(tx)

mikell
10-31-2013, 05:12 AM
I use the flowjet pump at the cabin for the motorhome and for other people to use. Always kept a white and green hose for sewer and water but the white one kept disappearing so I just use 2 green ones sewer 1 and 2. Flowjet now stays in the motorhome with a white hose

abneynormal
11-04-2013, 06:32 PM
heres the first test how much higher is the ground under your rv than the inlet in the septic tank? if its not a few feet then you have a problem. as for pumping it out into the field??

Steve S
11-05-2013, 06:27 PM
heres the first test how much higher is the ground under your rv than the inlet in the septic tank? if its not a few feet then you have a problem. as for pumping it out into the field??

I don't understand what you're saying by how much higher the ground is?
The ground is level and the trailer sits on it.

abneynormal
11-14-2013, 06:31 PM
you indicated you were running to a septic tank. you have to have so many inches of fall from the rv to the inlet in the septic tank. also note pvc pipe needs to be covered or else it will dry rot from exposure from the sun.

Steve S
11-15-2013, 08:45 PM
My buddy was asking me this morning why I can't just put a tank in the ground and run the black to the septic field and the grey to the lift pump.
Is this an option?

JRTJH
11-15-2013, 09:05 PM
My buddy was asking me this morning why I can't just put a tank in the ground and run the black to the septic field and the grey to the lift pump.
Is this an option?

Check with your local sanitation department. Chances are that would pollute the ground water table and not be legal. Before you start digging, find out what the codes are from your local authorities. There are some pretty hefty fines for doing it first and then seeking "permission" Don't get caught with a "saturday morning engineer" giving you advice !!!!!

Festus2
11-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Steve-
I would think that you would have to check with your local health/building inspector and codes regarding what you can and cannot do when hooking up to septic fields and/or lift pumps. Each jurisdiction has its own rules and regulations and they all vary from one place to the next.

Before digging a hole and placing a tank in the ground, I'd recommend checking with your municipal or city public works department or contact the building inspector's office to find out if you need permits and other regulations that you might have to follow. There are fairly strict regulations when it comes to septic tanks, septic fields, sewer hookups all of which are there to protect public health and the environment.

Do you own the land that your RV is sitting on and the adjacent field where the septic system is located or do you also have to get permission from the owner to do what you are asking about?

Steve S
11-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Yes I own the property, I'm just getting a few ideas together before I look in to permits as they need to see a plan.

JRTJH
11-16-2013, 10:42 AM
SteveS,

Rather than try to "Invent a new system" why not just contact the health department, tell them what you have and what you want to do and see what they suggest and what is legal. There's not much that is more frustrating than spending time "conceiving a project" and then being told, "NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT" :(

There are some very strict regulations in both Canada and the US with regards to adding additional septic tanks to an existing field line, adding effluent from bulk tanks into an existing septic system and modifying lift stations/pumping units. If you try to "sneak the build" you will always be looking over your shoulder when you use it or when someone decides they want to complain. Better to just do it within the regulations and be done with it, but to do that, you need to know what the regulations really say.

I'm sure you are not the first to ever want to tie in an RV dump to an existing septic system. The experts have already worked with your ideas in the past and know what works and what won't work. Find out from the experts what they suggest and then go to work conceiving your project. After all, you've talked to the "armchair experts" to get their ideas, why not talk to the "real experts" and get some ideas.

Steve S
11-16-2013, 11:33 AM
See the thing is around here is you just don't go to city hall and say hey I need a permit for this. One must have a proper drawn out plan or they won't look at it.
I'm just asking if anyone else has done it and how they did it.
If I have plans it's going to save time and money and cut out a lot of paper work.
I have two months to get this done so there's no rush. The idea of one of those large tanks in the ground sounds like a great idea but so far I haven't been able to find info on it.
There's two septic tanks and separate fields on the property and it seems to make sense to hook in to one.:)

Festus2
11-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Steve -
Following up on what JRTJH suggests in his post, I would also recommend that you go down to City Hall, get a copy of whatever rules and regulations you will have to follow, study them, and THEN draft up a up a couple of plans and see if what you have drawn up will fit the regulations.

Why not first find out what the rules and regulations are pertaining to tanks then do your research to find the type/size of tank that will comply with the regs?

You need to be aware of what the rules are before you start drawing up plans. I realize that they need a proper plan before they will give you permission to go ahead.

In addition, some of the suggestions you might get on here may work in Texas or in Manitoba for example, but they won't work where you live.

outwest
11-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Where I live you'd just dump directly into the septic tank or run a dump line that goes to the main inlet on the septic. But I live out in an area where there's no real oversight other than the very basic - land has to be perk tested before you can run the field lines, etc.

Steve S
11-16-2013, 04:44 PM
I called a septic guy today and he's coming next week to give me an idea and a cost of doing this :)

hankaye
11-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Steve S, Howdy;

Be sure your sitting down when he quotes you a price.

hankaye

Steve S
11-16-2013, 07:09 PM
Steve S, Howdy;

Be sure your sitting down when he quotes you a price.

hankaye

I need a septic field first before I an sit down!:):) I'll sit down after the $40,000 quote!:rofl::rofl:

hankaye
11-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Steve S, Howdy;

When the State of Ohio changed the State Code for septic systems,
the guide lines for the Counties to use, the cost for an avg. system
went from $5,000.00 or $6,000.00 to over $16,000.00. That was back
in, I think, 2006.

hankaye

JRTJH
11-17-2013, 08:00 AM
When we built in 2009, I installed a septic system for a 2400 SqFt 4 bedroom 2 bath house in Michigan. The total cost for the 1500 gallon tank, field lines, gravel, underlayment and overlayment material, labor and permits/inspections was $3800. A nearby neighbor just installed a similar system about 5 miles from me and his cost was $4500. So it appears it definitely depends a lot of where you're located.

Steve S
11-17-2013, 10:10 AM
If I could get it done at those prices it would be done in a heartbeat :)

mikell
11-18-2013, 11:09 AM
My mother in Michigans thumb are was quoted nearly $14,000 a few years ago and when we went for a permit 24 hours later the condemmed her old one. I cleaned the bees out of the vent pipe everything worked fine and I threw the paperwork away. They couldn't condemn it because I didn't pay for the permit. They inspected it a month later and they failed it without a reason but never heard from them again

hankaye
11-18-2013, 05:42 PM
mikell, Howdy;

Was the guy with the permits related to the guy with the backhoe???

hankaye

mikell
11-20-2013, 05:13 AM
mikell, Howdy;

Was the guy with the permits related to the guy with the backhoe???

hankaye

Probably I was over there last weekend and everything was working just fine. My cabin is by Mio and it has 2 plastic barrels with about 200 22 holes in it and has worked for 20 or so years

Steve S
11-20-2013, 12:11 PM
I did the same thing with barrels at my cabin, it's been working great for years with no issues.:)
Not to sure how well it would go over in this area as there's just 2 acre lots here!