PDA

View Full Version : Opening Propane Tank for Use

ljp
10-23-2013, 06:03 AM
How many turns should be made on the propane tank valve in order to make the equipment in our travel trailer work. Will just one or two turns allow enough gas through to work our equipment or should it be turned half-way or all the way open? Does it matter much or how little the valve is opened?

JRTJH
10-23-2013, 06:14 AM
There is a seal on the valve stem that must press against the completely open valve to prevent leakage around the valve stem. So the propane tank valve should be opened completely and slightly forced open a touch more to compress that seal.

crash
10-23-2013, 10:31 AM
(tx)I never knew that the valve had to be all the way open to prevent leakage.Well I guess thats my new thing that I learned today ,so today is complete and I can go out and have some fun:D:party::bdance:

JRTJH
10-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Heck, I didn't "learn it" till about 3 months ago, so it was news to me too :)

Ron
10-23-2013, 03:35 PM
I only crack my valves open approx 1 turn in case they need to be shut off quickly in case of an emergency, no problems here...

ljp
10-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the information.....

Ken / Claudia
10-23-2013, 10:09 PM
I always open the valve all the way. Last year at the keystone work shop they said to open the tank valve fully but, never explained why that I remember. Also years ago when the OPD tanks became law we had talked about them at the HAZ MAT class. I recall that tanks with that type valve will close off fuel if a line fails etc unlike old style tanks. So you would not need to get get to the tanks and shut them. Any current experts have same or other knowledge regarding the OPD tanks and failures.

Bob Landry
10-24-2013, 07:00 AM
There is a lot of mis-information and assumptions floating around on propane tanks, OPD valves, and regulators by well meaning but unknowing RV owners. This link is to a very comprehensive writeup on the subject. Enjoy..

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id44.html

jerseyphil
10-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Thanks everyone for the great information. I, too, did not know about opening the valve all the way, and then slightly more to snug it up.

This forum is awesome!!!

Ken / Claudia
10-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks Bob, that was good to review. I do remember a RV crash I helped at several years ago. The TT and PU flipped on their sides due to side winds/sway and the driver hit the brakes hard. That was what he told me. He had WDH but no anti sway bars. I found the 2 cylinders down the road on the shoulder. After checking to see that they were not venting I picked them up and they felt full. The valves were in the off position. They had broke loose from the TT connector/mount and were tossed and rolled maybe 100 ft. I sat them upright on the shoulder for the tow guy to get.