PDA

View Full Version : Replacing bent stabilizer jack

junglecat
10-19-2013, 06:24 AM
We have a 2012 Keystone Bullet 246RBS TT. Last trip, one of the stabilizing scissor jacks on the front, slipped on uneven ground and bent/fractured. We need to replace, but the jack only says Model #J-2500, on it, and no manufacturer name. Measures 24" from end to end at center pivot point. Does anyone know who makes this? Called iyr dealer, but the parts department did not know either, and want us to bring it to them so they can see. Would be a long trip for us, so hoping we can identify and replace ourselves. Appreciate any help if anyone can answer this for us.

Festus2
10-19-2013, 06:46 AM
junglecat -

If you can attach a couple of photos of the jack, it might help us to identify it. Thanks.

JRTJH
10-19-2013, 08:27 AM
If you type in "J-2500" in either google or EBay, you will get literally hundreds of hits complete with pictures that you can compare to your existing jack. Typically, if your jacks are bolted/screwed to the chassis, you can easily replace them. If they are welded, then you can disassemble the jack (leaving the welded mount in place) and reassemble the new jack onto that mount. That way you don't require a welder and you can do the work yourself.

If you do replace the entire jack (screws and bolts) I'd suggest replacing the jacks on both sides of that end of the trailer. There is no need to replace the "other end" of the trailer jacks, but for convenience and ease of use, I'd keep both jacks on the same end the same model/manufacturer.

junglecat
10-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Thank you for your responses. I am going to attempt to attach some images of the scissor jack. I did Google J-2500 and did not come up with anything for stabilizer jacks, or scissor jacks. I have not tried it on E-Bay. My husband said they were bolted on. Thanks for the tip about getting two; I was wondering about that too.

B&T
10-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Looks similar to this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-4-quarter-ton-trailer-stabilizer-jack-96406.html

or this

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57401-Olympian-Scissor-Jack/dp/B000EDUULC/ref=sr_1_23?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1382221354&sr=1-23

Bob Landry
10-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Those scissor jacks are for all practical purposes generic and 24" is a standard size for most trailers. I just bought 4 of them off fleabay to add to my Outback for $93 delivered.

theeyres
10-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Yep, the really are generic and you can pick them up at any RV parts store or on-line.

floatflyer
10-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Try looking under LoPro or BAL Manufacturing

junglecat
10-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all of your input. I will just take your advice and not worry about replacing exactly what we had. Probably would like to go with a powder coated one that will resist rust better.

zuley
10-20-2013, 05:27 AM
If you have any dealers in your area who specialize in park models you may consdier doing as I did. We had a stab with a screw that bound up when extending with my power drill. Contacted our dealer who told us since it did not bind up when extending manually he doubted whether it would be covered. For the price of a new one I was not too concerned. He did offer us though 4 new stabilizers from a park model. Apparently when a park model is moved to site for a permanent install the stabs are removed. He said he has numerous take off stabs lying around and offered me 4 no charge. They are slightly larged than the OE's so they provide greater stability. With all four installed you'd never know they were changed up. I don't know if this is standard practice to remove the stabs from park models but perhaps worth looking into if you have any dealers close by.

junglecat
10-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Wow. That is interesting. Sure will look into that also. Thanks so much.

junglecat
10-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Try looking under LoPro or BAL Manufacturing
We decided on some BAL Classic Scissor Jacks, as you recommended. Thank you. Much nicer than the OEM ones we took off, much sturdier, better made. Coating the new ones with a rust protector before we put them on, too. Husband really likes these and he said easier to use also.

JoeBradford
03-27-2014, 02:40 PM
I am looking at purchasing a 2012 Passport. The owner said the only thing wrong is that he bent the back stabilizer jacks by raising the tongue with the rear jacks down. What are the chances he damaged the frame or anything else?