PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Fan - Fantastic Fan vs Maxx Air

airforceret
10-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Since my Cougar 280RLS came with awesome everything except the piece of crap, cheesy fan in the bathroom, I'm now in the process of which fan to install as the replacement.

I have a fantastic fan in my Palomino and it's awesome, but it does mean I'll have to rip out the old vent, and once done, add a roof vent to keep out the rain.

The Fantastic Fan:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/standard-fan-tastic-ceiling-fan-vent-without-thermostat/1631

On the other hand, I could solve my problem using the existing roof vent and just adding the Maxx Air Turbo Max Roof Vent Cover that comes with the fan.

The Maxx Air Turbo Fan:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/turbomaxx-economy-model-3550-12v-ceiling-fanvent-without-thermostat/17339

One particular point of interest is the vent stack of one my holding tanks exits the roof directly behind the roof vent in the bathroom. Obviously someone wasn't thinking when they came up with that design.... If I add the turbo max, it will likely be blowing down at the vent stack on my tank, which leads me to believe it could very well force air back into the camper through the drains.

Decisions... decisions... any one have any thoughts? Input?

JRTJH
10-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Not to sway your decisions, but one of the first things I did on our new Cougar was climb on the roof, pull the "cheesy exhaust fan" and replace it with a Fantastic R4000. Two hours, a couple of scratched knuckles and two tubes of self-leveling DICOR lap sealant later, I don't have to worry about exhausting odors any more. For us, being able to still open the roof vent fully (we dry camp a lot) was important enough to not even consider a vent cover that would restrict open air access of the vent.

I think the Cougar was in the driveway maybe 24 hours when I did this mod.

airforceret
10-15-2013, 04:15 AM
I'm leaning towards the fantastic fan, but if it took someone else 2 hours, that will surely be a 4 or 5 hour job for me. thanks for the input.

JRTJH
10-15-2013, 07:50 AM
I'm leaning towards the fantastic fan, but if it took someone else 2 hours, that will surely be a 4 or 5 hour job for me. thanks for the input.

I also am AF retired, so don't sell yourself short ROFLM*O

airforceret
10-15-2013, 07:55 AM
I also am AF retired, so don't sell yourself short ROFLM*O

LOL ... I know I'm capable. I just move very slowly these days!

Lost
10-15-2013, 08:51 AM
When we got our new rig they made a mistake and put the fantastic fan in the bathroom and a cheap fan in the kitchen that you couldn't reach without a ladder. After this summer of camping I would never take the fantastic fan out of the bathroom... it works great there"bouncey: Next spring I'll be replacing the cheap kitchen fan with a fantastic fan.