PDA

View Full Version : I40 across Oklahoma

campingcpl
10-14-2013, 07:30 AM
In a couple of weeks we will be traveling west and was planning on taking I40 across Oklahoma but have heard that the route is very rough speacialy around Oklahoma City. I was wondering if anyone has traveled I40 from Fort Smith over to Amarillo here recently and can fill me in on what parts to avoid. Thanks for any help!

sleeplightly
10-14-2013, 04:10 PM
It has been a few months since I have been through OKC but is has been rough for years. this summer I took 240 around downtown on the south side of the city. It wasn't to bad but prepare for some bumps. Just slow down a bit and consider it like riding a bull:)

sjturbo
10-14-2013, 05:53 PM
I recently picked up a 5er in Tulsa and headed west through Amarillo. Once you get out of the Tulsa/OK City area the roads are fine. There was a lot of construction in the T/OK area with single lane in much of the area. But It was not bad, just slow and annoying.

campingcpl
10-15-2013, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the response.(tx) Looks like no matter what route we take through Oklahoma City is going to be bumpy. I have heard that the Kilpatrick turnpike isn't that bad but also heard that the tolls can be a little on the high side.

Barbell
10-17-2013, 05:53 AM
We came across I-40 from Flagstaff to Eastern Tennessee in early September. If you can avoid Texas, do so. Also, rough roads around OK city. Also if you can't avoid Texas altogether, try not to buy any diesel fuel there. Every time I do, mileage drops at least 2-3 mpg and its mostly flat so it is not the terrain.

campingcpl
10-17-2013, 06:42 AM
We came across I-40 from Flagstaff to Eastern Tennessee in early September. If you can avoid Texas, do so. Also, rough roads around OK city. Also if you can't avoid Texas altogether, try not to buy any diesel fuel there. Every time I do, mileage drops at least 2-3 mpg and its mostly flat so it is not the terrain.

Thanks for the info. We was planning on heading out I40 from Pigeon Forge and running that over to Amarillo and then US 287 up to US 50 and over to Pueblo, Co.. I'm thinking we might want to look at another route but will have to wait and see what everyone else wants to do. Thanks again for the info. (tx)

geo
10-21-2013, 02:40 PM
I heard today that there is construction on I-40 from Memphis to Little Rock. That stretch definitely needed some work, but hear the detour back-ups are horrible. Major truck route.

Ron