PDA

View Full Version : Starved Rock SP, Utica, ILL

antiqfreq
09-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi,

Getting ready to make reservations for this park - just wondering if anyone has a recommendation on which 'side' of CG to stay in?

East side or West side??

I will just guess if no one has a recommendation!

Thanks,

Jo
:p

Jim W
09-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Jo,
We have not camp at the State park in Utica, IL. The park dose not have full hook ups, one of my DW conditions for camping. We have driven thru the campground and I would suggest you ask the ranger at check in which site is best for you. You can always move to a better site, if no one is on it after you have made your advance reservation. I have done this at other state parks in IL. I seem to think the west side of the park was better.
We have stayed at two private parks in Utica IL one was the KOA about three miles North of the park and the other is right off of RT 80 on the North side. Nice park but you can hear the trucks go by all night, even at the very back of the campground. Both of these parks have full hook ups and pull thru sites.
I also for got to mention that there are not many 30 AMP sites here either so that may limit your choice.
We live about 1 (one) hour northeast of Utica,Il.
Jim

antiqfreq
09-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Jim,

We have been doing electric sites so much I have forgotten what full hookups are - ha ha ha -

We will be at Geneseo Campground in Geneseo, ILL for 3 nights before we get to Starved Rock! I think our dates are 9/23, 24 & 25 - so if you and the missus get a hankering to visit us - please do. We plan to go to Starved Rock on 9/26, 27 & 28........

I am gonna make the reservations tomorrow! Thanks for the info......

Jo:rolleyes:

Jim W
09-18-2010, 05:58 AM
Jo,
Hi, we are staying at the Geneseo Campground in Geneseo, IL right now this weekend. We have stayed four three nights for $84 with full hook ups and the Internet. I believe this is like a dollar or two a week to use.

We are on site 26, this is the farthest way from the store and road (not busy at all). We are close to the Hennepin Canal Parkway and brought are bikes to ride on the trail. Town is nice but small will be going there this afternoon with the DW. See wants to check out the shops today.

I would suggest that you follow RT 88 east, exit at exit 6 then take RT 92 East bound. Follow this for a couple of miles, then take RT 82 south for 5 miles. Campground is on the left, right before the bridge repair over the Hennepin Canal. The reason I suggest this is to prevent going thru town with the 5er and the underpass with a 10' clearance and only one car wide. There is a bypass around the underpass but you need to go thru town and fight stop and go traffic with the 5er.

Good luck and enjoy your trip in IL. Sorry but we are busy next week and can not get down to Starved Rock.

Jim

antiqfreq
09-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the info.
Shari (office) gave me the okay for our site today. When I arrive maybe I'll ask her if site #26 is open if it is quieter back there........
We got in Starved Rock for 9/26, 27 & 28 in site 44 on the west side. I asked DH which side (with or without trees) & he elected NO trees to see IF we can get TV reception! Our Verizon air card works 99% of the time so hopefully it will still work at Geneseo & Starved Rock!
Take care,
Jo & Jeff