PDA

View Full Version : inverter and new converter install

chris7913
10-13-2013, 05:24 PM
hello all, i am the proud owner of a new sprinter 320 bhs. i am looking to install the go power weekender kit. i have done plenty of work on 12 volt systems in my time. the install kit for the inverter comes with 2 gauge wire but the battery charger comes with no wiring to complete the install. i would be installing the inverter and charger within 10' of the batteries in the front bunk room under a bench. my question is would it be suitable to run the 2 gauge wire from the batteries into the compartment and use a distribution block that would normally be used for car audio to connect the positives and negatives. the inverter and battery charger would never be on at the same time as the kit comes with an auto transfer switch and i wouldn't have the inverter on when im on shore power.

BlindGuyNAR
10-13-2013, 06:52 PM
You'll be fine

diugo
10-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Although I am a firm believer in reasonable prices, and the car audio market has resulted in a lot of otherwise affordable componentry, I do have two concerns:

1. The finishes and platings commonly used seem more intended for glitz than function. Under high current, I would be concerned they might heat up, deteriorate, and create high resistance connections.

2. I would imagine the connection screws and threads are not manufactured to the same tolerances as more expensive distribution blocks, so they might have a tendency to loosen up.

I found some NOS Ferraz Shawmut "finger safe" blocks on eBay for like $7 each for my rig's distribution panel and like them a lot.