PDA

View Full Version : New trailer, slides won't operate on battery only

sdetweil
10-13-2013, 06:53 AM
I just purchased a 2013 Keystone Alpine 5th wheel, 4 slide.

I had to take it in for some warranty work and had to open the slides, to get to the area to be worked on.
on battery only they wouldn't move.. Dealer told me to start my TV and sure enough all worked ok.

shouldn't they slide with just the battery? (which is new)

up til now I was always shore connected when moving the slides.

thanks for any feedback

Sam

Javi
10-13-2013, 07:08 AM
Sounds like your battery might not be holding 12.8 volts

LZScout
10-13-2013, 07:15 AM
My 2013 Alpine 3250RL has no problem operating 4 slides on one battery. Since a battery is a dealer installed option, they may have put in a bad one or too small. Is yours a deep cycle battery? Here is a picture of the lable on mine:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/13/ynumuqa6.jpg
I used just this for several outings, then added a second one just so I'd have more staying power.

Sent from my iPhone

Jabber2Jake
10-13-2013, 09:33 AM
from KOA...gasp! "bouncey:

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformation/rvmaintenance/what-you-need-to-know-about-your-rv-batteries.asp

Excerpt:
Deep cycle batteries come in all different sizes. Some are designated by Group size, like group 24, 27 and 31. Basically, the larger the battery the more amp hours you get. Depending on your needs and the amount of space you have available, there are several options when it comes to batteries.

You can use one 12-volt 24 group deep cycle battery that provides 70 to 85 AH.

You can use two 12-volt 24 group batteries wired in parallel that provides 140 to 170 AH. Parallel wiring increases amp hours but not voltage.

If you have the room, you can do what a lot of RVers do and switch from the standard 12-volt batteries to two of the larger 6-volt golf cart batteries. These pairs of 6-volt batteries need to be wired in series to produce the required 12-volts and they will provide 180 to 220 AH. Series wiring increases voltage but not amp hours.

My 5er came with one group 24. I replaced with two group 27's
Slides work great on battery alone. Lasts long time!

SkiSmuggs
10-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Shortly before leaving on a month long trip, I replaced the year old OE Grp 24 with a Grp 27. Four days of camping in the Grand Tetons with no electric or generator, I still was able to run in two slides, rear stabilizers and landing gear with no problem, plus the furnace fan for those 30 degree nights.
I had also replaced all primary interior lights with LEDs.

sdetweil
10-14-2013, 06:51 AM
thanks all.. I am not near the coach now, but I will have the repair dealer check it out. I know its a big 12v battery.. no idea the rating.