PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Steps Problem

K4BEV
10-12-2013, 06:51 AM
On our last outing the campsite that I had reserved on-line turned out to be sloped a lot from front to rear enough that the trailer's tongue was right at on the ground to level the trailer from front to back. As an added bonus the side with the doors was low and had to be raised about 4 inches to level the trailer from left to right.
This left the stairs in the back (the ones that we use most) WAY off the ground. Exiting was actually dangerous the first two days until we got kinda used to it and getting in was a stretch ;)

What do you seasoned campers use to overcome this problem?
Is there something you use to make another step (or 2)?
Do you just find another campsite?

We were at Fall Creek Falls (in TN) (http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/FallCreekFalls/) and most campsites were already occupied or reserved, so moving wasn't really an option.

OTOH - Otherwise a wonderful park and experience....

mikey98e
10-12-2013, 07:22 AM
We carry a folding step stool to add the extra step. Just make sure it is strong. We bought this one: http://www.dyersonline.com/camco-folding-heavy-duty-steel-step.html

-mike

therink
10-12-2013, 08:29 AM
While some people may not agree, I usually dig small holes on the high side for the wheels to sink into, which makes the trailer easier to level side to side and makes the low side not so low. I always repair my holes before I leave. Been doing it this way for years.

JRTJH
10-12-2013, 09:01 AM
We carry a folding step stool to add the extra step. Just make sure it is strong. We bought this one: http://www.dyersonline.com/camco-folding-heavy-duty-steel-step.html

-mike

We have the same CAMCO step and it serves well. The only "problem" with it is that the folding legs are actually "U" shaped and if you set the step on an uneven surface it can "roll" on you causing it to turn over. So, if you do get one, make certain that it is set up on a level surface and that it is stabile before you trust it.....

We also carry a shovel and if there's more than a "tad" of side to side rise, we dig out the high side tires to help make things a bit more level.

The CAMCO step is the cheapest commercial solution I've seen, but there are steps with individual legs at CW and other places that cost upwards of $75 or more that would eliminate the "roll" effect. So far, we haven't had any big issues with the roll and I've thought about riveting a longer bar across the bottom of the "U" to stop it from turning over. To date, this hasn't been necessary.

Javi
10-12-2013, 11:58 AM
We have the same CAMCO step and it serves well. The only "problem" with it is that the folding legs are actually "U" shaped and if you set the step on an uneven surface it can "roll" on you causing it to turn over. So, if you do get one, make certain that it is set up on a level surface and that it is stabile before you trust it.....

We also carry a shovel and if there's more than a "tad" of side to side rise, we dig out the high side tires to help make things a bit more level.

The CAMCO step is the cheapest commercial solution I've seen, but there are steps with individual legs at CW and other places that cost upwards of $75 or more that would eliminate the "roll" effect. So far, we haven't had any big issues with the roll and I've thought about riveting a longer bar across the bottom of the "U" to stop it from turning over. To date, this hasn't been necessary.
We invested in one of the CW steps and couldn't be happier, it folds flat for when we don't need it and is well tested to 350 pounds every time I use it so it is very sturdy. "bouncey:

pjhansman
10-13-2013, 03:11 AM
We also invested in a set of "Adjustable Leg Platform Steps" from CW. Use them almost every time we set up, so that first step is never an issue.

Somewhat expensive, but very sturdy.

Terry W.
10-13-2013, 04:56 AM
I made a step out of a 2x8 and covered it with a step cover. For leg i used 4x4 and then put 2x4 on the 4x4 with hinges incase the 4x4 were not quit enough heigth. I chose the 4x4 and 2x8 to get a solid footprint and no rocking.

justlkn
10-13-2013, 05:23 AM
Hey Terry. Can you post a photo of your step? I like that idea.

K4BEV
10-13-2013, 05:59 AM
I made a step out of a 2x8 and covered it with a step cover. For leg i used 4x4 and then put 2x4 on the 4x4 with hinges incase the 4x4 were not quit enough heigth. I chose the 4x4 and 2x8 to get a solid footprint and no rocking.

Hey Terry. Can you post a photo of your step? I like that idea.

Thank you all for the step suggestions! (tx)
I'm a DIY kinda guy and Terry's home brew step sounds like what I'm looking for.
I'd appreciate a picture of his step too - Sounds like a winner :)

BlindGuyNAR
10-13-2013, 10:50 AM
I had a similar issue with my old TT when I raise the stair side 3-4in. My son had to step to high.

I bought an "add-a-step", but it appears that company is no longer around or changed names.

The closest thing I found to it was this: http://www.redi-step.com/index.htm

My 5er has low enough steps and my son got taller so I don't use it any more.

Mine isn't made to work with curved steps like my new rig has either. The REDI-step looks like it would. It also looks to fold up and mine doesn't.

Terry W.
10-19-2013, 02:12 PM
OK Not being real computer smart but I did get some pic of steps and other mods in my profile so check there.

Pentagon
10-19-2013, 02:27 PM

-mike

Thank you for this idea, we had a similar problem, just to bad that they don't ship to Canada