PDA

View Full Version : Water Heater

CHIEF MK
10-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Hello everyone, were new to the RV world and find this forum very helpful. I do have a question about water heaters. First off on our shakedown camping trip it all went well. We didn't have water hookup because the park was closing down and winterizing there water supply.

We used the water holding tank. No big deal. My question is when you have a water hookup, how do you know when it's safe to turn the electric side of your water tank on? My thought is , you would turn the hot water handle on in the sinks until air stopped coming out and was running clear prior to turning your water heater on. Is this correct. IDK.

Thanks,

Tom and Kim

B&T
10-10-2013, 07:39 AM
how do you know when it's safe to turn the electric side of your water tank on? My thought is , you would turn the hot water handle on in the sinks until air stopped coming out and was running clear prior to turning your water heater on. Is this correct

Yes, I go a step further and turn on the hot water handle in the bath also -- just to be sure.

Jay D
10-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Before turning the water heater on I go to each faucet and turn the cold water side on 1st, getting the air out. Then I do the same to the hot side. I start at the closest point to the heater and work to the furthest one. Then after i turn on the heater and it's been on for 1/2hr or so I run water from the furthest hot water and make sure it has no air

buzzcop63
10-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Hello everyone, were new to the RV world and find this forum very helpful. I do have a question about water heaters. First off on our shakedown camping trip it all went well. We didn't have water hookup because the park was closing down and winterizing there water supply.

We used the water holding tank. No big deal. My question is when you have a water hookup, how do you know when it's safe to turn the electric side of your water tank on? My thought is , you would turn the hot water handle on in the sinks until air stopped coming out and was running clear prior to turning your water heater on. Is this correct. IDK.

Thanks,

Tom and Kim

Owner's Manual, Keystone RV Company "DO NOT start the water heater unless it has water in it. To verify there is water in the water heater, open the relief valve located on the outside of the water heater. If water is present at the relief valve, you can be sure there is sufficient water in the water heater to operate. Then verify the by-pass valve located on the back side of the water heater is set to the use position and open a "hot" water spigot on any faucet. The water will travel from the source, into the water heater and then present itself at the spigot when the water heater is full."

CHIEF MK
10-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Wow! Thank you all for the help. It's really nice to get straight answers, from folks who know what ther talking about. Digging it for sure."bouncey:

Thanks,

Tom and Kim

GaryWT
10-15-2013, 04:37 AM
For me I generally go with the pressure valve method. Also I only do this for the first trip of the year as I never drain the tank so water is in their for the year.