PDA

View Full Version : Passport Ceiling

rwood53
10-09-2013, 06:46 AM
I have 2008 Passport Ultra Lite model 200QS. I have noticed a discoloration on the interior ceiling. The discoloration marks extend the width of the unit and run the length of the trailer. The marks are in straight alignment on the width and spaced about 7 inches front to back, Some of the marks are causing a flaking of the ceiling material. The issue appears to be in an early stage. However, I'm concerned about the roof's structural integrity as these markers appear to line up with the units support frame. I've emailed Keystone, but no response.

Festus2
10-09-2013, 07:37 AM
rwood53 -
We too noticed a very, very slight discolouration on some areas, but not all, in our ceiling. They also appear in a straight line from side to side and are more or less equally spaced.
I first noticed this in 2010, a couple of years after we bought our Cougar but they have not gotten any worse nor have they spread. You have to look fairly closely before noticing them.
I believe the discolouration is caused by a reaction of some kind between the staples used to secure the ceiling panel to the roof structure -- very similar to rust. I think they apply some kind of filler to cover the staple and the reaction is taking place between the two --- like iron/steel in water so to speak.
I dabbed a bit of Kilz flat white ceiling paint on the spots and this helped somewhat. Now, they are barely visible.

In my case, the discolouration was not caused by leaks.

rwood53
10-10-2013, 05:28 AM
The staple reaction makes sense. I'll try the Kilz trick. Thanks for the info.

Jay D
10-10-2013, 08:14 AM
I have the same thing, I believe it's from the nail/staple holes and they used putty or caulk to hide the holes.