PDA

View Full Version : Weight Distribution Attachment (?)

ljp
10-07-2013, 10:41 PM
The left & right side of our distribution hitch are secured to the front of the trailer frame by a single large bolt on each side. The chain on the bars attach to the U-shaped steel piece on this part used to raise/lower the bars.

It doesn't appear the bolt screws (into) a threaded piece of the trailer frame as much as it is simply forced against the frame to hold the part in place.

What I'd like to know is how much force should be applied to ensure the part does not work itself loose? I fear by continually adding pressure while attaching this part could start digging into the metal on the trailer frame.

allmi01
10-08-2013, 06:09 AM
the retaining bolt should be tight enough to keep the bracket from slipping forward or rearward. Once in place, it should not have to be tightened again. I have had this type of setup on 3 of my TT's and never had an issue with the bolt coming loose.

Mike

airforceret
10-08-2013, 07:25 AM
the retaining bolt should be tight enough to keep the bracket from slipping forward or rearward. Once in place, it should not have to be tightened again. I have had this type of setup on 3 of my TT's and never had an issue with the bolt coming loose.

Mike

Ditto... Run this setup on multiple trailers with no issues!

Andymon
10-08-2013, 07:36 AM
My instructions said to finger tight the bolt then only a 1/4 more. It says to NOT over tighten.

Ken / Claudia
10-08-2013, 09:52 AM
I think as long as they remain tight against frame there would not be any problem. Mine have 2 holes for bolts also. I took 20 mins and drilled them thru and put Heavy duty bolts into them. Now if the single bolt did get loose the mount will not. I did that only after towing and knew that the mount did not need to be adjusted or moved.

So Cal CPA
10-23-2013, 06:41 AM

Mike

Same setup here. No issues.