PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Rear View Camera

DanandDonna
10-05-2013, 05:56 PM
I have a wireless rear view camera on the back of my Pick up which makes hitching up to the TT really easy. My question to you all is does Keystone run the back up lights to the rear of the TT. I know on my 7 pin trailer plug the center wire is for back-up lights but there are no back up lights on my 21RB. If the wiring loom for the trailer has the back up lights to the rear it will be easy to connect the camera up but currently cannot locate it position on either the right or left trailer frame. Anyone have ideas where I might look to find it. If I have to run wires I will was hoping to make the job a little easier.

JRTJH
10-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Neither my Springdale or my Cougar has backup lights. The wiring is present (yellow wire) at the 7 way connector and is also present at the cable junction where the 7 way cable enters the trailer wiring harness. On both of my fifth wheels, that junction/interface is in a 5" x 5" metal electrical junction box. The back up lights (yellow wire) on the 7 way cable is capped and ends inside that box. There is no yellow wire on the RV side. So, no there is no wiring in either of my Keystone trailers to support back up lights past the junction box at the trailer kingpin.

I would guess yours is wired the same way.

DanandDonna
10-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info JRTJH just happened to be out at the TT today and found basically the same thing you are talking about a capped yellow wire. Mine is located in the front pass through storage area. Now that I know that I will have to do it the hard way and run wires back from there. Will take pics and post on the site here once it is all done. Most likely will not get to it until the spring. Again many thanks for the info.

Festus2
10-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Dan&Donna -
A few members have installed back up cameras - one who comes to mind is Jim Dow. If you are looking for some ideas on how others have done this mod, try doing a forum search on this topic and check Jim's posts and pics.

JRTJH
10-07-2013, 07:14 AM
In addition to Festus2's comments, if you're going to be running wires anyway..... Many (not all) wireless camera setups have issues sending a signal far enough to get decent video to the tow vehicle. Since you're running wires, it's not really a lot harder (if at all) to run a video wire than it is to run a "backup light wire" so if you haven't bought the wireless system yet, you might want to rethink what type of system you install.

I installed a wired backup camera on my Springdale. It was a relatively straightforward task and it worked so well that when I traded it for the Cougar, I took it off and it's now installed on the Cougar. For me, the consistent video without the problems associated with weak wireless signals made my choice easy. You might want to consider a hardwired system if you're still in the "planning stages"

DanandDonna
10-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions and will check out the posts as well I have sent an email to Yada the maker of my wireless which is on my truck. My question was in regard to signal drop and have given them the distance. Hope they will get back soon. I know my monitor will work with both wired and wireless so may just have two sets of wires under the dash.

Again thanks for the suggestions and will keep in touch.

K4BEV
10-12-2013, 06:03 AM
If you don't have back-up light wiring on the trailer just use one of the other light circuits - NOT the brake lights though.
Turn the lights on and you have a review mirror WAY back there :)