PDA

View Full Version : No Power in Montana

pearlygate
09-30-2013, 06:42 AM
For a 2007 2955rl Montana - power to the post ok - power reads ok at internal receptacle in coach - nothing else after that... no power to any lights or appliances (battery or electric) - One breaker on fuse panel in unit is down and won't allow me to reset it. Looked at fuses and seem to look okay. Not sure where to go from here. Any help??

LZScout
09-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Messed with your battery connections lately? If you got positive and negative reversed, you may have blown the fuses in your converter. In any case, check those fuses.

If not, post may not be wired correctly. Check it with a voltmeter if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

JRTJH
09-30-2013, 07:23 AM
If you have one circuit breaker in your electrical distribution panel that won't reset, you have a short somewhere in that circuit. I'd start by leaving that breaker off and seeing if the remaining breakers are supplying power to their individual circuits. If, however, the breaker you can't reset is the main 30 amp breaker, you may well have a problem with input power. If you're not fairly well versed on AC voltage troubleshooting, be VERY VERY CAREFUL. 120 VAC can kill !!!!! Make sure to completely remove power from your RV BEFORE you start checking for loose wires, bad breakers, etc..... We'd all like to know that you're still around to tell us what you found when you fix it !!!!!

SAABDOCTOR
09-30-2013, 09:38 AM
ONE QUESTION. If you unplug the shore power, will the breaker rest? then when you plug back in it pops? If it will not reset when there is no power you may have a bad breaker rare but possible. remember what John said nogo fingerpokin when the power is on. lest ugo poff! don't want that good luck:D

pearlygate
09-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks. I will give it a try when I get home tomorrow (after I unplug before poking around behind the converter.) I'm ready to go if I go poof but I'm not wanting that to happen right yet. Keystone customer service told me they were nearly certain it was a bad breaker for the converter. I've got Tiera in Elkhart Indiana checking on a replacement for the breaker. I'll see what they come back with.

SAABDOCTOR
10-01-2013, 07:45 AM
well you still alive? how did you make out?

Bob Landry
10-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks. I will give it a try when I get home tomorrow (after I unplug before poking around behind the converter.) I'm ready to go if I go poof but I'm not wanting that to happen right yet. Keystone customer service told me they were nearly certain it was a bad breaker for the converter. I've got Tiera in Elkhart Indiana checking on a replacement for the breaker. I'll see what they come back with.

Your original post is kind of a hodge podge, but I'll try to help sort it out. First, you have to understand the difference between the 12V and the shore power systems. I would question KS customer service telephone troubleshooting. If you are plugged into shore power, the converter alone supplies 12V for lights and whatever else needs 12V. You would not even have to have a battery installed for those to work. There is one AC circuit breaker that will power the converter. if that breaker is bad, and it is possible, you would have no 12V(lights) but none of the appliances that use 120V, like the microwave and television would be affected. If the main breaker is tripped, then nothing would work, including wall outlets. If you have one bad breaker, it only affects the circuit that it feeds, nothing else.
You also did not specify if you have a transfer switch. if you have a generator, that would be the device that selects the power source between generator and shore power.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Montana will be 50A, so, are both legs dead, or does one work but not the other. We just need a little more info than you have given.

pearlygate
10-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Still alive. While removing the breaker (with power disconnected) I was able to get breaker to reset so I put it back, turned power on and everything is okay. Bothers me a bit that I couldn't get it to reset before messing with it but I will go with it as is, attributing it to my lack of full understanding of the technology and possibility of a misstep in my diagnosis. Thanks to all for response and admonition to not take risk.

JRTJH
10-04-2013, 06:34 AM
I'm glad you're back in business, but it sure sounds like there is a loose wire somewhere in your CB panel. Moving things around may have helped make a better contact and it's working now. If, in the future, you have a similar problem, start checking for loose connections somewhere in that panel. On second thought, it would be a good idea to take a screwdriver and put a quick "hand tighten" on every screw connector you can find in that panel just to be sure you don't start generating sparks or heat without knowing about it.