PDA

View Full Version : 15 inch vs 14 inch tires - which is better

Paisano
09-26-2013, 03:07 AM
New to all this and trying to decide between two TT. PASSPORT 23RB with 15 inch tires vs FLAGSTAFF 25KS with 14 inch. TV is F150 ECOBOOST 4x4 with 3.73. Planning part time to tow tandem, pulling a 14 ft boat. Any advantage between the two in regards to tires and clearance while trying to level everything and use a 4x4 truck?

Bob Landry
09-26-2013, 03:50 AM
You can level the TT to the truck by changing the position of the hitch head. Whatever you pull behind the trailer is irrelevant. The concern is going to be the hitch for the boat and how it is mounted to the trailer strength wise.

hankpage
09-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Tire size will not be as critical as their weight rating. Adding the weight of the hitch and the tongue weight of the boat trailer to the rear of the trailer may lighten the TT tongue weight too much and increase sway. You will have to load other gear to balance the TT. As Bob L said, it is the ball height that will level the combo. That is a long combo to tow with a light TV and expect to avoid sway. Good luck with your choice of TT, I would go with the floorplan that fit my family best, Hank

warsw
09-27-2013, 06:23 AM
I think you can get better choices (higher load rating) going with a 15" tire. I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor but one of the pluses when making the buying decision.

danimal
09-27-2013, 04:33 PM
With regard to the trailers you are looking at I wouldn't make the wheel size a determining factor. It really makes no difference.

cathcartww
09-27-2013, 05:56 PM
You will have a lot more selection of tire manufacturers, load ranges, etc. with 15" vs. 14". Check out the specs - it really only makes about a half inch difference in height of the trailer and gives you many more options ....