PDA

View Full Version : I don't think he should have done this...

zenbuck
09-18-2013, 09:24 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_jersey&id=9252773

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/wabc/cms_exf_2007/news/wabc_091813_mahwah-1.jpg

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/wabc/cms_exf_2007/news/wabc_091813_mahwah-6.jpg

Luckily no serious injuries.. It is very windy on this bridge! I hope nobody here does this..

SAABDOCTOR
09-18-2013, 10:05 AM
They need to becarefull for a week or two till their guardian angel has to have the wings refeatherd!!!

crash
09-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Wonder if they were part of the HIGH wire act:D:D

danimal
09-18-2013, 12:48 PM
That is closer to dying than I would like to be. With that setup, how far do you think it is was over the trucks' weight carrying rating?

dave-g
09-19-2013, 02:18 AM
That is closer to dying than I would like to be. With that setup, how far do you think it is was over the trucks' weight carrying rating?

I can just hear the driver " over weight no -it pulled fine"

there is so much more to weight ratings than how it pulls or looks. This is an example.

thewhitehat
09-19-2013, 04:34 AM
He said, according to the women, the camper fishtailed and caused them to lose control of the truck.

Yup. Pullin' a long trailer over a windy bridge without a Hensley. So sad. :(

BlindGuyNAR
09-19-2013, 05:02 AM
I can just hear the driver " over weight no -it pulled fine"

there is so much more to weight ratings than how it pulls or looks. This is an example.

I don't know. That truck looks like a dually in the pics and that travel trailer doesn't look that big.

I'm thinking they may have been closed but maybe not over his weights.

Granted I wouldn't recommend a truck camper and a travel trailer together at the same time.

I think this is probably just a case of windy conditions on a bridge. Hensley arrow or pro ride all the way on this one.

tileman
09-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Was going to work wed in the am in my 16' box truck was going around 50 mph
going up the Dames Point Bridge in Jacksonville The wind was pushing me all over the road and as I get to the top one big gust pushed me about 3' into the other lane :eek:

Was very lucky nobody was there but sure makes for a wild start in the am.

http://www.johnweeks.com/cablestay/pics/dames01.jpg

hankpage
09-19-2013, 05:19 AM
They are circus people .... probably doing this all their lives ..... rules don't apply to them. The red liquid stain on the ground looks to be too large for trans fluid ..... could be red diesel???? Like I said, rules don't apply to them. I'm just glad no one was injured. I (and authorities) think there were more passengers in the truck that left the scene in other vehicles in the convoy.(Hmmmm???) JM2¢, Hank
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_96465_0_6670aa396df8fe3c35a3ac3c64782d62.jpg

fla-gypsy
09-19-2013, 10:52 AM
I read where supposedly there were two women operating the truck. Sounds to me someone had to get lost fast. Not that women can't operate a dually just fine it just doesn't happen very often and I am betting that holds true for circus performers as well.

RGene7001
09-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Well, fla-gypsy, they are performers, not campers. They live in their RVs, so usual assumptions and stereotypes will not work here. In Mongolia women will ride horses like men do pickup with auto transmission should not get them confused.
The problem here is not overload, but aerodynamically difficult situation, too much sidewall first and foremost as well as the fact that the truck was impacted directly by wind and possibly lifted.
You just can't legislate common sense. Triple towing is against the law, but who would need to carry 2 campers with 1 truck?
Not to mention that people who tow for living usually carry deep aversion, if not hatred to any weight distribution our sway control equipment.
Regardless of their national origin....

Ken / Claudia
09-19-2013, 08:05 PM
I did not read thru the article but, makes me wonder if they would have slowed down as wind hit, could it have been prevented. I have been hit with heavy side, rear and headon winds, that moved me around and I just dropped speed, once to about 35 in a 65 zone and continued. People have amazed me by traveling at 55-65 into heavy fog, smoke etc, watching vehicles ahead disappear and not thinking about slowing down.

JRTJH
09-19-2013, 08:45 PM
The speed limit on the Mackinaw Bridge (I-75) between the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan is 45 for trucks and campers and drops to 25 with any significant crosswind. I've seen the bridge actually swaying in the wind and when that happens, it closes to all traffic.

Being 150' above the water on a suspension bridge in a tall, flat-side vehicle with the "ground" under you moving and swaying while the wind pushes you closer to the edge is not a "secure and comforting" feeling.

Looking at the truck/camper on its side and the trailer overturned as well, one would have to ask just how it all happened. The answer may never be known given the driver's "moving on to follow work" after leaving the truck and RV's behind.

All I can say is I'm sure glad I wasn't driving. That had to be a very "tension producing moment" ......