PDA

View Full Version : Trailer is not stable when parked

gregsimard
09-13-2013, 06:22 AM
We have a 246rbs, and no matter what I do, the trailer jiggles and wiggles when one of us walks inside the trailer. I put the tounge jack and the four stabilizer jacks down 'till they all have some weight on them. Not enough to lift the trailer, but they all are tight. I also put 4 tire chalks under the tires. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks

therink
09-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Here is what I do:
1) when backing into campsite, and setting wheels, first off Iiuse a good set of heavy duty wheel chocks (not the $5 plastic). I then back up onto rear chock enough so that the tire is almost riding up it and then set the truck parking brake. I then jam the front chock in at the front of tire, and then release parking brake. This sets the wheels very firmly avoiding most fore aft movement.
2) I have Bal locking stabilizer bars installed on my scissor jacks and landing gear. These things minimize 90% side to side movement. The Bal stabilizers run about $90 per set and easy to install.

If I am at a site for more than a few days, I may put a bottle jack under the frame near the axles to minimize suspension movement (bouncing) of the center frame. This works well for me.

billb800si
09-13-2013, 09:47 AM
The O.P. is referring to a travel trailer ( I believe). That being the case there's a couple of things you may want to try.
First make sure your tires have max pressure ( mine have 65 PSI). Because the trailer is resting on the tires you don't want them soft (rubber bounces).

Next there is a trick some use: they first level the trailer left to right and then front to back. Then people will lower the front hitch jack a little and snug up the rear stabilizers and finally raise the front hitch jack. This puts some pressure on the rear stabilizers.

Chocking your wheels is always a good thing because it not only reduces some shaking it also is a safety feature to prevent the trailer from moving once you disconnect your tow vehicle.
I have found that if you mount a pair of stabilizers just in front of the axle (on the frame) this also adds to stability.
Finally if all else fails then you may be a candidate for something like these:
[/URL]
or:
http://www.steadyfast.com/
or:
[url]http://www.jtrv.com/our_products.html (http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-020106-RV-Stabilizer/dp/B001UGJPXQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1379094020&sr=8-3&keywords=trailer+stabilizer)

Your choice.
Happy trails,

Dutch & Di
09-14-2013, 08:24 PM
I agree than an aftermarket permanently installed stabilizer system is the way to go. We have been using a different brand for almost 8 years and absolutely love them. Would never be without them. Hugs, Di

Robby9
09-19-2013, 08:18 PM
X-Chocks between the wheels will eliminate most of the wobbling you're feeling.

dandjh1958
09-20-2013, 07:43 AM
+1 on the X-chocks. They work great. Just remember to tighten up again after the tires cool off. I usually wait 30 minutes after initial setting.

KJcachers
09-21-2013, 10:42 AM
I have 1 set of X-Chocks on mine and I still get the "bounce" especially in the rear bath. I'm thinking even with the stabilizers down we are getting spring flex due to the axles being in the middle. I have a friend who puts a couple bottle jacks under his frame near the axles and he is rock solid. It's my next mod for my camper. Just need to find a couple cheap bottle jacks at Wal-Mart and give them a try.

BldrRob
09-21-2013, 03:02 PM
+1 on the x-chocks! Won't go without them now. I also try to stabilize as much as possible because the shimmy and shakes bug me. We do the following:
X-chocks both sides (go pointer noted above about checking them after tires cool, thx for that!)
4 corner factory stabilizers (I've heard that the less you can lower them, aka add blocks, it will help the stability as well)
2 stabilizers under the living room slide out
1 jack stand on the back side of the stairs
And if I'm feeling ambitious then I'll add another jack stand by the rear stairs.
My buddies with their auto-levelers on their class A and class C laugh at me but our rig is ALOT more stabile than theirs any day of the week.

Good luck..