PDA

View Full Version : Additional 50A outlet

Sparky
09-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Has anybody wired a second 50A outlet on their rig? Mine is located on the back of the rv and some places have their power posts located either mid site or front of the site. I would like to install one either midway or in the front. I'm guessing it probably be cheaper to just by an additional 50A power.

danimal
09-12-2013, 12:01 PM
When you use the term outlet, since you indicate 50A do you mean where you attach the shore power?

Bob Landry
09-12-2013, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't recommend it. The inlets have male prongs and if someone lifted the cover on the unused inlet, you would have exposed terminals with 240VAC on them. Get an extension cord, it's a lot safer.

Sparky
09-13-2013, 03:33 AM
Yes, an additional receptacle just like the one provided on the back of the rv.

fla-gypsy
09-13-2013, 04:13 AM
I wouldn't recommend it. The inlets have male prongs and if someone lifted the cover on the unused inlet, you would have exposed terminals with 240VAC on them. Get an extension cord, it's a lot safer.

I agree, the safety concerns and potential for fatality are great. Don't do it.

Sparky
09-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Agree! Extra cord is the answer.
Thanks for your input!

webslave
09-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Agree on the safety aspect, however, on my bucket list is changing the location from the rear to near the other utility connections. There is ample space to install the connection there and it would be more convenient located there than all the way at the back. While there are some sites where the rear is closer, most sites I've stayed at have the pedestal more centrally located and having the power cable plug on the side would be much more convenient. There is plenty of space for it and it is a simple matter of disconnecting the one in the rear and running a new line to one on the side (much closer to the converter, too). That eliminates the safety aspect (the one in the rear would be electrically dead) and be much more convenient in that I wouldn't have to lug/drag that heavy 50 amp cord all the way to the rear of the 5er just to have it plugged in back where I started...

Now all I need is the time to get around to it...

Roller4Tan
09-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Agree on the safety aspect, however, on my bucket list is changing the location from the rear to near the other utility connections. There is ample space to install the connection there and it would be more convenient located there than all the way at the back. While there are some sites where the rear is closer, most sites I've stayed at have the pedestal more centrally located and having the power cable plug on the side would be much more convenient. There is plenty of space for it and it is a simple matter of disconnecting the one in the rear and running a new line to one on the side (much closer to the converter, too). That eliminates the safety aspect (the one in the rear would be electrically dead) and be much more convenient in that I wouldn't have to lug/drag that heavy 50 amp cord all the way to the rear of the 5er just to have it plugged in back where I started....

I thought of that, too. I wonder if there is a 45 degree angled down outlet out there to take the stress off the plug..but that'd probably stick out too much,eh.
::confused:

Jim Dow
09-14-2013, 02:00 AM
I had my dealer add a front power transfer box into the front storage compartment as part of the deal. It works just like the power plug/box in the rear - 2011 Montana High Country.

I run the power cable up through an existing hole in the floor of the front storage compartment and over the bar-drive for the jacks. It does not present a problem for the cord.

webslave
09-14-2013, 08:07 AM
I thought of that, too. I wonder if there is a 45 degree angled down outlet out there to take the stress off the plug..but that'd probably stick out too much,eh.
::confused:

I've not seen a 45 degree angled connector, however, I did put a 90 degree connector on my power cable. A lot less stress on the connection at the trailer...

http://www.makariosrv.com/50-amp-90-degree-right-angle-adapter-1rpc50rv/

Stays on the cord all the time and with the weight hanging down it doesn't pull the inlet in the trailer wall. In the desert southwest, prior to installing the 90 degree adapter, I could see the rear wall deforming and figured delamination would, eventually, be the end product. With the 90 degree adapter, the weight is downward and doesn't deform the wall. Should have been original equipment...those 50 amp power cables are too heavy to have them trying to lever the inlet out of the wall.

BlindGuyNAR
09-14-2013, 08:41 PM
I added an outlet to the front of my Montana Mountainier. 50 amp outlet that looks just like the one in the rear.

I wired it to a 50 amp automatic transfer switch. Rear outlet as main input and front outlet as the generator input

That fixes the safety concerns since only one outlet will be active at any one time. If rear has power cord then front disconnects. if cord on front has power on then rear disconnects. No electric shock concerns from touching unused outlet.

I use it to plug the generator up at rest stops when I'm just sleeping For a few hrs and I don't want to run a long cord to the back or disconnect the truck. My Honda 6500 IS is not easily moved since it sits in front of my hitch in the truck bed.

This set up works awesome for me

Trent McCain
09-15-2013, 04:30 AM
My folks have their 2012 Mountaineer set up like the poster above. They ordered it with the gen prep package and had the dealer install a plug in the neck beside the pin box. They can now run off the Honda inverter in the truck bed, or the elect at campsites.

Trent

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bob Landry
09-15-2013, 04:41 AM
There are several ways to do it safely. The main think is that you do not have exposed inlet terminals that are hot. The two inlets need to be isolated by a selector switch, either automatic or manual type, such as a source selector made by Blue Sea.

Jim Dow
09-19-2013, 06:51 PM
I took your advice on the 90 degree power cable adapter; and I will install it this weekend using my front storage power transfer box. I'm confident it will be a good addition; and I can route my power cable better.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jeff_S
03-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Sparky,
I'm about to do just what you are considering. I'm going to install a second Blue Sea Easy Lock 50 amp connector on the side of my Montana High Country 318 RE. I'm going to run both inlet connections to a 3-Pole 50 Amp manual power transfer switch so I can use either the back or side connection. There are times when I want to use the rear connection but in most campgrounds it will be much more convenient to use the side connection.
Jeff_S

WaltBennett
03-05-2014, 12:54 PM
I've not seen a 45 degree angled connector, however, I did put a 90 degree connector on my power cable. A lot less stress on the connection at the trailer...

http://www.makariosrv.com/50-amp-90-degree-right-angle-adapter-1rpc50rv/

Stays on the cord all the time and with the weight hanging down it doesn't pull the inlet in the trailer wall. In the desert southwest, prior to installing the 90 degree adapter, I could see the rear wall deforming and figured delamination would, eventually, be the end product. With the 90 degree adapter, the weight is downward and doesn't deform the wall. Should have been original equipment...those 50 amp power cables are too heavy to have them trying to lever the inlet out of the wall.

That is something I'll have to get - and it's a whole lot cheaper than relocating the stupidly placed socket (unless I move the old one, but then I've got to plug the hole). Something else to figure out.