PDA

View Full Version : wrong hitch...um, wth?

nwfla
09-11-2013, 03:36 PM
We picked up our 31bhpr end of july. Had an equalizer hitch installed.
Anyway, lately, I have been pming other members about their equalizers/rating. I "thought" the dealer put on the 10k, I was worried I need the 12k, anyway, reading stuff online, I bought a tongue scale, should be here tomorrow, just to see what my tongue weight is.
Anyway, I am straightening up the garage, and the hitch head and bars are in my way, I look at the bars, and they are 4k!
Sheesh, guess I should have double checked the installers work...
called them up, and man, I am not in a good mood. I have a wife and 3 kids, the last thing I need is a disaster waiting to happen rolling down the road with them.
I am going out to check which hitch head I have.

GaryWT
09-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Good luck, hope it is ok, or at least an easy fix.

hankpage
09-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Put your info in HERE (http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%20Equal-i-zer/hitchsizes.php) and the manufacturer will tell you what hitch you should have. If you have not weighed the trailer use gross weight and figure from there.

audio1der
09-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Yikes! Never assume and double-check everyone else's work...sheesh.
Hope they help you out by at least giving you credit towards the new bars (12K bars would cost more?) if not just trading you as it was their boo-boo.

BusterDave
09-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Does each bar have the 4k listing? I'm wondering if the WDH is actually an 8k rating. Both bars added together. This is how wheel rating is done, wheel rating added together meets or exceeds the axle rating. Just a thought anyway. Good luck.

nwfla
09-13-2013, 10:49 AM
It's the wrong hitch. It's rated for 4k/400 tw
Talked to them yesterday, they are ordering me the 12k hitch, come to my house and install it next week before we hit the road friday for a couple days.
I did weigh my tongue weight. Almost 1100 lbs, and that's with the front storage loaded about 1/2 way. Not full, but the usual stuff. Small grill, small toolbox,chairs, hoses,cords, chocks/blocks. Maybe 125-150lbs total.
Check your tongue weight!

chartrand
09-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Yikes, that's pretty scary! Glade you made the discovery in your garage instead of while out on the road someplace. Let us know how the 12k hitch feels once it's installed.

Pat

fla-gypsy
09-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Wow, which dealer did that? I had a similar situation when I purchased my current TT. They stuck a 6k ball on the hitch, problem is it's a 10k trailer.