PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tongue not releasing from hitch ball

wms
09-10-2013, 02:52 PM
OK, so is it myself and the DH, or is there a certain way to release the trailer from the hitch ball? We have issues releasing the TT from the TV almost every time we set up. We have the proper size ball and use a weight distribution hitch. It seems every time we set up at a campground we struggle just trying to get the trailer to release from the hitch. Shouldn't the trailer easily release from the ball when you raise the tongue? Of course the lock has been removed and the locking mechanism is in the unlocked position. Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Willa and James

RaptyJon
09-10-2013, 03:07 PM
It shouldn't be hard to unhitch. If the trailer tongue / hitch ball are dirty it may be the reason it's hard to unhitch - maybe try putting some grease on the ball and inside the ball socket.

MISailor
09-10-2013, 03:47 PM
If the problem only occurs after backing the rig into a spot try pulling the TV forward a fraction of an inch after you back the TT to the spot that you want it. If you back up and set the parking brake without pulling forward just a fraction the ball is often "jammed" back against the hitch such that it won't release.

labs4life
09-10-2013, 04:36 PM
If the problem only occurs after backing the rig into a spot try pulling the TV forward a fraction of an inch after you back the TT to the spot that you want it. If you back up and set the parking brake without pulling forward just a fraction the ball is often "jammed" back against the hitch such that it won't release.

^^^^^This. Also make sure the ball is greased well! Should not be much of an issue. Greasing well is most likely more of an issue!!

wms
09-10-2013, 04:50 PM
We keep the ball and receiver sprayed with WD40 White Lithium grease. Is this sufficient, or is there something else that works better? We also set the parking break when we back the trailer into it's spot. We will stop using the break and pull the tow vehicle forward a smidge the next time to see if it releases better. Fighting this has become very frustrating.

tileman
09-10-2013, 04:56 PM
OK, so is it myself and the DH, or is there a certain way to release the trailer from the hitch ball? We have issues releasing the TT from the TV almost every time we set up. We have the proper size ball and use a weight distribution hitch. It seems every time we set up at a campground we struggle just trying to get the trailer to release from the hitch. Shouldn't the trailer easily release from the ball when you raise the tongue? Of course the lock has been removed and the locking mechanism is in the unlocked position. Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Willa and James

Do you use wheel chocks ?
If not maybe that could be it.

wms
09-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Yes, we use wheel chocks. The wheels are chocked before we try releasing the trailer from the TV.

tileman
09-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Yes, we use wheel chocks. The wheels are chocked before we try releasing the trailer from the TV.

Ok was just asking.

We have a small pull trailer its like 16' and there has been a few times it gets stuck and Its because I forgot to chock the wheels.

theeyres
09-10-2013, 08:08 PM
If none of the above suggestions work maybe the bolt that adjusts the tightness of the lock when you flip the lever down is too tight. We never have to move the truck forward or back--just go up with the jack until it pops loose...sometimes with quite a "pop" when it breaks free but it alway breaks free. Something isn't adjusted correctly and my guess would be is that when you engage the lock, it is so tight that there is no give to release it.

Robby9
09-10-2013, 08:13 PM
I use white lithium as well and it works fine. It also washes out of clothes easier than grease. I can't seem to keep from getting grease on me at some point in the trip.

My Cougar's hitch is quite a bit fussier than my prior rigs. I've noticed the coupler has the worst problems when the trailer and truck are not level with each other or when I'm not lined up perfectly straight with the camper. Usually I can back up and pull forward a couple of times and then I can get it to latch or unlatch depending on which problem I'm having.

zuley
09-11-2013, 07:20 AM
We had the exact same problem with our 23RB coupler not releasing. Ours would not release unless I banged on the lock pin with a bit of a persuader even after greasing the mechanism. It was suggested I pull forward an tad after blocking the wheels to move the ball to the front of the coupler. This improved the situation but I'm still have problems. I'm going to try loosening the cog on the underside as I'm thinking it is gripping the ball too tightly.

Ken / Claudia
09-12-2013, 03:29 PM
I did this. First couple times trying to unhitch the trailer it would not and I pulled the pin on the truck side , dropping the hitch on the ground as I drove foreword. I was pulling the hitch lever up after unlocking it. I than found out that this trailers hitch lever must be unlocked, pulled up and pulled back all the way to the end and than the ball is released. I do not recall having any hitch on a trailer that worked as this one. Could that be the problem.

wms
09-13-2013, 04:57 PM
We made it home from our Smoky Mountain trip today. After making sure TV was straight with the TT, and holding the locking pin open while raising the trailer tongue, it popped right off. Could the locking pin be closing a bit on the ball prohibiting it from releasing? This is something we will definitely have to keep an eye on.

MISailor
09-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Glad you figured it out. :)

Ken / Claudia
09-14-2013, 09:09 AM
WMS, I think we are talking about the same thing. I do not have a camera that can be transfered on here to take a photo. Did you understand what I mentioned. That locking lever on my hitch has a slot and if it is not pulled back all the way to the end after unhatched the ball will not be released. You may or may not have the same type of hitch.

wms
09-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Ken/Claudia, yes, I did understand what you mentioned earlier, and thank you so much for your suggestion. That's why we tried it this time and was excited for it to work so easily! We still have to hold ours in place, otherwise it slides back and won't let the hitch ball release. I love this forum, and appreciate all the responses and ideas!(tx)(tx)(tx)

Ken / Claudia
09-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Great, happy camping. We down to the last of nice camping conditions and we want to get out this week or next.

IdahoSRT10
09-16-2013, 01:23 PM
I wouldnt use grease..it attracts dirt and can make things worse. I use a sandwich baggie (or 2) over the ball.

Greysquirrel
10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
We have the same trailer and sometimes the same problem both hooking up and releasing after we back in to a spot, not alway but enough to annoy us.
We found out if we back the ball under the tongue with just a little showing when we lower the trailer it tends to move forward and we can get the hitch locked or sometime just jerk the TV forward and it will work OK. Unhitching is another story sometime it just opens and other times we have a problem and have to lower it back down on the ball and try again and that works but we have no idea why it sometimes wont release. I don't like these new hitches that you pull back to release I like the old ones the you just pulled up, never had a problem with those.

buzzcop63
10-01-2013, 02:48 PM
WD40 works best in dispersing moisture, the Service manager at our dealer, Curtis Trailer in Aloha Oregon said do not use WD40 for lubrication. For ball and hitch you should use heavy grease like that used for bearings, it needs to stay on even when it gets very hot out and Lithium can melt and run away.

wms
10-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Greysquirrel, we are headed to the Mississippi coast next week and are hoping we have no issues with the trailer tongue not releasing. I too agree that it is very annoying when it won't release. I'll send an update when we return. Crossing my fingers that we have it figured out.

airforceret
10-07-2013, 10:26 AM
My car trailer has always had this issue. I bought a 5 lb dead weight hammer at harbor freight. A good wrap on the frame near the tongue and it pops loose every time. It's almost like it creates a vacuum somehow and the suction is so strong inside that will literally raise the back end trying to get it loose... I even considered drilling a pinhole in the top to see if that helped.

CHIEF MK
10-09-2013, 07:36 PM
We had the exact same problem with our 23RB coupler not releasing. Ours would not release unless I banged on the lock pin with a bit of a persuader even after greasing the mechanism. It was suggested I pull forward an tad after blocking the wheels to move the ball to the front of the coupler. This improved the situation but I'm still have problems. I'm going to try loosening the cog on the underside as I'm thinking it is gripping the ball too tightly.

I have the same Trailer, and we have the same problem. If the TV isn't centered it's a bear to un-hook. I think it's getting better with time. I haven't greased it yet. Looks like the new paint came off the tongue and might be making it stick a little.

We've gone through the drill of backing up, turning left and right, pulling forward, all the tricks. Nothing except centering the truck to the TT works. If we see that the ball hitch is rubbing on one side or the other, we try to position it so all 4 sides have a slight gap in the receiver, and it usually comes off.