PDA

View Full Version : Equal-I-zer hitch vs Reese dual cam

skidooxman
09-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Folks need some input here please, anybody have pros or cons to either the equal-i-zer e4 set up or the Reese dual cam setup? Both kits are the 12k kits. Thanks for the help.

I have Reese dual cam 15k on my Toyhauler but trying to get a feel for equal-I-zer E4 kit for a lighter trailer.

Concern is load equalizing and sway control, tow vehicle is a 2500hd duramax.

Thanks again

Fixjet
09-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Skidooxboy, I'm a Polarisboy.

Same truck as you and I use the Eqaul-I-zer 14k. I did have a 10k when I had a smaller trailer and a Suburban 2500. They work great for me as you can tell I bought a second one. What I like the most about them is ease of first time setup and your done. Hooking up has to be one of the easiest one the market. I like not dealing with chains just 2 bars. Plain and simply it just works for sway and WD. Rv Wholesalers had the best deal I found and free shipping. You'll get good comments on the reese too. I'm sure it's a fime system also but I whet with simple and more ground clearance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Fixjet
09-10-2013, 04:12 PM
After rereading your post I see you were talking about the e2.

As Gilda Radner would say, nevermind.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Chippewa93
09-10-2013, 06:56 PM
I have an Equalizer and the best thing is I don't break a sweat while the others are breaking their backs with tightening chains

theeyres
09-10-2013, 07:55 PM
I had the Equal-i-er on a previous trailer and loved it. Worked like a charm. I would recommend it to anybody. I do have to admit that now that we are back to a trailer after full-timing with a fiver I am seriously considering the Anderson, mainly because I got tired of dealing with the heavy bars. The Anderson looks really appealing because you just slip on that one piece under the hitch an you are done.

But between the two you ask about, the Equal-i-zer wins hands down.

campingcpl
09-11-2013, 06:51 AM
We have the Equal-i-zer brand hitch and love the simplicity of hooking up. And we have never had a problem with sway either.

allmi01
09-11-2013, 08:43 AM
I'll ad to the X whatever. I have the Equalizer 4 and love it! I have the dual cam on the 3 prior rigs I had.

What made the choice easy for me was simplicity as others stated and you don't need to be virtually straight onto the trailer to hook up. The dual cam system requires an almost stright line between the TV and trailer to be able to hook up the bars / chains.

cathcartww
09-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Check out the Reese Pro Series SC. Has the ease of set up like the Equal-li-zer, but uses the same trunion head as most the other Reese hitches. I like the "brake pad" brackets better than the brackets on the Equal-li-zer ......

MikeES
10-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Just recently installed a Reese Dual Cam, and have been disappointed. The trailer has more sway issues than the Eagle Pro WD hitch with no sway control it replaced. Several friends have the Equalizer and are happy with it, except they are noisey. As an Engineer, I thought the Reese looked much more like an active sway control with its "cams" than the Equalizer, but the reality is...

hankaye
10-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Howdy All;

Just to throw my 2 pennies into the pot...
My previous RV was a TT older 26' orphan and when I bought it
the hitch came with it, an older Equal-I-zer. So old the adjustment
for the hitch ball was wielded into position instead of having the
shims for adjustment. I digress...
Returning from Ohio to Utah I was about 15 miles East of Effingham, Il.
on I-70 when I had the Left front trailer tire blow to smithereens at
about 65 mph. Instead of acting like a 4 year old that had just stubbed
it's toe the trailer stayed right where it was supposed to as I pulled
over to the shoulder.
It worked!

hankaye

ktmracer
10-11-2013, 09:23 AM
I'll ad to the X whatever. I have the Equalizer 4 and love it! I have the dual cam on the 3 prior rigs I had.

What made the choice easy for me was simplicity as others stated and you don't need to be virtually straight onto the trailer to hook up. The dual cam system requires an almost stright line between the TV and trailer to be able to hook up the bars / chains.

We have the dual cam, and even at a pretty good angle I haven't had trouble hooking or unhooking it. By the time it gets to about 45 degrees, yes it is an issue. 15 to 20 degrees off straight, no issue at least for me.

I haven't used the equalizer. It does get great reviews. the dual cam has worked very well for us. I will say that the installation instructions for the Dual cam do leave something to be desired, especially regarding checking for adequate clearance between the bar and cam mounting bracket on turns. Once set up properly it's great, but it wouldn't suprise me if the equalizer is an easier initial installation.

IMHO either one is a good choice.

fla-gypsy
10-11-2013, 06:05 PM
I have been using the Reese Dual Cam for years without any issues. There seems to be some idea that somehow this hitch requires heavy lifting to hook up. Not so, that is what the tongue jack is for. Mine rides rock solid.

MikeES
06-27-2014, 05:37 AM
As an update to my previous response (disappointed in the Reese Dual Cam). I have purchased and installed an Equalizer and WOW! a big difference over the Reese dual cam, much improved sway control. And it is easier to hook up and unhook.

I now have a 12k Reese Dual Cam wd hitch for sale :)

BirchyBoy
06-27-2014, 06:09 AM
I did a 5,600 mile trip last month with my new trailer and Equalizer 10k hitch and it worked great. The bars are heavy and I'd get greasy sometimes, but it worked as well as I've read and the camper behaved very well. Most of the time I'm able to put the bars in place and remove them without the tool it came with, but I did need it once or twice.

One thing that does bother me though is how hard it is to make any adjustments to the main part with the shims. When I bought the combo, the shop set it up without any weight being in the camper or the TV. I think it sits a little low when loaded and I try to put more weight in the back of the camper to compensate. I don't have the tools necessary to remove the large bolts and add shims so that is a deterrent to me. It's nothing a trip to the dealer and a $100 dollars couldn't fix, but I'd prefer to not have to do that. I must say, though, that my TV never felt light on the front at all, so perhaps all is OK and I'm stressing over nothing.

audio1der
06-28-2014, 07:12 PM
We have the dual cam, and even at a pretty good angle I haven't had trouble hooking or unhooking it. By the time it gets to about 45 degrees, yes it is an issue. 15 to 20 degrees off straight, no issue at least for me.

I haven't used the equalizer. It does get great reviews. the dual cam has worked very well for us. I will say that the installation instructions for the Dual cam do leave something to be desired, especially regarding checking for adequate clearance between the bar and cam mounting bracket on turns. Once set up properly it's great, but it wouldn't suprise me if the equalizer is an easier initial installation.

IMHO either one is a good choice.

You beat me to it. I feel the Reese DCSC is an amazing setup once it's dialed in, but that can be a lengthy process. I have never had an issue backing up with the trunion arms still in place, not hooking up at an angle, and don't mind the setup each time, nut I can appreciate the simplicity of the EQ.

GMcKenzie
06-30-2014, 05:23 AM
Can I use my existing hitch head with the dual cam? I would need new bars and the hanger setup of course.

audio1der
06-30-2014, 07:22 AM
^ Which hitch setup do you have right now? The Reese DCSC needs the hitch head which holds the flat trunion bars. If you already have that, as long as it is rated for the load, it should work.

GMcKenzie
06-30-2014, 07:26 AM
I've got round bars. I thought you could use round bars with this as well. Just need the bars to have the hook in the chain end (which mine don't). Do I need trunnion style?

And how would the Anderson compare? My unit is pretty long at 34'4" and I've had sway issues.

audio1der
06-30-2014, 08:30 AM
The DCSC system needs the flat bard with the detent (curve) near the end to sit on the cam.
Sounds like you'd have to buy the whole setup- might be a chance to try the EQ system instead.

GMcKenzie
07-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Been looking online and the Equal-i-zer can be had for around $525 Cdn. This does not include the shank or ball. Any reason my existing shank won't work? It looks the same and would save $125 ish.

Also, I'm torn between the 10000 and 12000 pound setup. Trailer is about 8200 and 12% of that is 1000 (tongue weight) so the 100000 should do but is there an issue with going up to the 12000? I ask because it is cheaper on Amazon.ca for the heavier setup.

MikeES
07-14-2014, 07:30 PM
You can use your existing shank...if it is a 10,000 shank (or 12,000 if that's what you buy). The Equalizer uses a standard shank. I bought a Reese DCSC and was disappointed with its sway control. I bought an Equalizer and it works much better than the Reese.
The Reese did come with a longer shank which gave enough clearance for the tailgate to clear the tongue jack, so I am now using the longer shank that came with the Reese on the Equalizer hitch.

x96mnn
07-30-2014, 06:37 PM
The Reese when set up properly, people swear by them. The problem with them it almost seems you need a masters in engineering to set it up properly. Have had mine on two campers, both times professionally installed and I had sway. I followed a post I think on here with fantastic instructions, and I can tell you when it was professionally installed both times, neither had my tow vehicle or did the S turns to set the cams. After I installed it again, which I could not make 100% perfect as I would need to drill new holes the the frame too close to the others! it got a lot better.

Freind of mine has a husky straight line, which is similar in design although it has two cams built in, it is rock solid, the trail tows much smother then mine ever did, I was heavier but the campers were identical in length. If I was buying today I do not think I would go with the Reese based on the need to have an expert set it up and lots of dealers lack in that department.

I just fixed my sway issues once and for all, bought a 3500 dually lol.

audio1der
08-07-2014, 09:55 PM
I just had a lower drop head installed with my original shank. I thought had it dialed in last year (except I was nose-high). The new setup has the head at the same angle, I think I need to lower it a bit. Sigh. Here we go with more experimenting.
^The last poster was not kidding. When it's on, it's on. But it's a lot of work to get it there.

Tbos
08-08-2014, 09:01 AM
I use the 10K version of the equalizer and as mentioned it is easy to use and works very well. I have found their is some noise when I do slow manuevering around for parking, etc.. but I understand there are some new nylon shims that may reduce that noise. All in all I am very happy with it.:)