PDA

View Full Version : WD Setup Help

So Cal CPA
09-09-2013, 12:36 PM
New to this trailer and truck but not to rv'ing.

So Sunday I setup my WD hitch on new truck and trailer. I made sure truck and trailer was level and measured the front and rear fenders of the truck before hookup. Set the ball approx. 1" higher than the tongue of the trailer. Angled the hitch ball down (added a washer) one shim from previous setup.

Measurements of tow vehicle after hookup: Front = no change, Rear = squatted about 1.5". TV and trailer look level. WD bars very close to parallel with the trailer tongue but might be angled up a little bit (is this too much?).

So my question is; is the 1.5" rear squat acceptable? On my old TV and trailer I don't remember there being any rear squat. But my old trailer had maybe 400-500 lbs tongue weight. New trailer is the Cougar 28rbs which is very tongue heavy at between 800-1000 lbs.

Pics - First one is of the entire setup, truck and trailer sitting pretty level. Rear of truck has 1.5" squat. Second on is a close up of the WD hitch. Please any thoughts or advice.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_95365_0_7a651885a03990ee00fd3c4603c6a423.jpg (http://s855.photobucket.com/user/brianoah/media/photo_zps5250d64c.jpg.html)

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_95365_1_e93de7abbb178ae9bde59e6f5858eddb.jpg (http://s855.photobucket.com/user/brianoah/media/photo2_zps8765ec36.jpg.html)

Ken / Claudia
09-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Photos can be hard to use to make a point at times. It looks OK to me, I would like to walk around and see everything for afew mins. before after hooked up etc. I would go for a test drive see how it feels and weight the truck and trailer. Truck hooked up and by itself. If the rear is to low you will need to add air bags or overload springs maybe heavier duty tires, maybe bigger truck. My trailer hitch wt. is 900lbs with full water and gear loaded in storage. My truck rear goes down alittle, I never checked how much in inchs. I guess 1 inch. But, it also sits rear high by maybe 4 inchs for carrying a heavy load. So, my headlights are not pointed up into the trees with trailer hooked up.

homer3
09-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Should have bought a Chevrolet 2500 HD, Ha Ha, you know who. I've seen a lot worse going down the road.

So Cal CPA
09-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Should have bought a Chevrolet 2500 HD, Ha Ha, you know who. I've seen a lot worse going down the road.

Should have given me the money....

I think it's okay. Was looking for other ram 1500 owners thoughts. Sure a 2500 would be better. Maybe in a few years. Test drive next weekend. Looking at air bags too.

Like the sig pic. Pechanga?

SVichera
09-10-2013, 03:51 AM
My sister just purchased a 2013 Ram 1500 crew cab with the tow package and has the same issue; front no change, rear squats about an inch or so; she had to add airbags. Seems like the ram rear end is pretty soft.

Bob Landry
09-10-2013, 04:11 AM
If the front end height is the same both unhitched and hitched, the WD is adjusted correctly. It means that the proper amount of weight has been returned to the front axle. That is the purpose of WD, not to level the truck. You will probably get advice on here to try different tensions until the truck "drives right" or "feels good". Don't do it. That's not how you adjust WD. If you don't like the rear end squat, you can add air bags, but it doesn't change the capacities, and you'll have to readjust the WD. That's the biggest complaint with the Rams, that the rear end is soft.

Essness
09-10-2013, 04:15 AM
I put bags on mine. I did it for my 24 ft haulmark trailer but it works for the camper as well.
I keep mine at 35 lbs for the haulmark and 15 lbs for the camper. Just gives a more solid feel when towing the camper.

Javi
09-10-2013, 04:47 AM
Regardless of the W/D hitch police :D there are things you can do that may improve the ride and handling when adjusting a W/D hitch.. One is that the trailer should be just slightly nose down rather than nose high.

Another is to actually weigh the truck axles with and without the trailer because it is very possible to have the front fender well height return to the same position without transferring enough weight. The front axle weight should be very close to the same hooked or unhooked.

One more, make sure that the trailer is loaded as you will tow it... adjusting the hitch before loading the gear will not give the same ride.

Last one, the bars should never be angled up in the back, level is good.

audio1der
09-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Like the others said, if it is pulling well and the F/R measurements are within reason, some squat isn't hurting anything.
that said, I am a HUGE fan of the Airlift 1000 airbags for our platform. For under $100 they are the best investment you could make to help with sway, eliminate sage and increase towing confidence.

Bob Landry
09-10-2013, 03:45 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with adding bags if rear sag is objectionable as long as it's understood that it does not increase any of the truck's capacities and that after adding them, the WD has to be readjusted. The reason is that by changing the height of the rear the angle of hitch tilt changes and that's what changes the tension on the bars.

So Cal CPA
09-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Like the others said, if it is pulling well and the F/R measurements are within reason, some squat isn't hurting anything.
that said, I am a HUGE fan of the Airlift 1000 airbags for our platform. For under $100 they are the best investment you could make to help with sway, eliminate sage and increase towing confidence.

Ordered,pickup tomorrow, will install this weekend and adjust the wd setup accordingly.

I think it was okay as I set it up but from all the reviews I've read these air bags are way to go.

Thanks everyone. After install and wd adjustment I will repost pics. I am thinking I will have to lower the ball on the shank one hole to compensate for the airbags.

Hansel
09-11-2013, 05:36 AM
How does it tow???

I had a towing issue with my TT and after reading a ton of info here, and a phone call too my old friend Javi, my truck and TT are towing really good. I am upgrading too the Reese dual cam sway control, got it for a bargain"bouncey: but if your truck on went down 1.5" isn't bad, but I think Javi might have already said you want the trailer sitting nose down some, and then have the truck sitting where you have it. Too find out exactly how your set up is doing is to go too the CAT scale.

So Cal CPA
09-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Haven't towed it yet.

Will test tow this weekend. I am sure I will have to lower the ball one notch on the shank to achieve level or nose down after the air bag install.

From everything I've read the air lift 1000 is a great addition and for the ease of installation and price, you can't go wrong. So I pick them up today and will do it this weekend.

I don't have the anti-sway hooked up yet because I am not fond on drilling holes in my brand new trailer frame. Looking for a WD setup with anti-sway where I don't have to drill holes. the Equalizer WD looks good for this.

warsw
09-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Measurements of tow vehicle after hookup: Front = no change, Rear = squatted about 1.5". TV and trailer look level. WD bars very close to parallel with the trailer tongue but might be angled up a little bit (is this too much?).

Second on is a close up of the WD hitch. Please any thoughts or advice.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_96433_0_e93de7abbb178ae9bde59e6f5858eddb.jpg (http://s855.photobucket.com/user/brianoah/media/photo2_zps8765ec36.jpg.html)The only thing I can see wrong is that the chains should be straight up and down. The brackets need to be moved back a little. Also, measuring the tow vehicle front and back will only get you close to right. You really need to check the weights to get it right.

Straasha
09-19-2013, 04:43 PM
I think a 1.5 inch squat is about right. My 2011 2500HD squats about 1.5 inches. You want to back end to go down a little. The WD hitch's job is to transfer some but not all weight to the front. I would only worry if you were going down 2.5 to 3 inches.