PDA

View Full Version : Lose awning anchor screws

lclark65
09-07-2013, 07:14 AM
I have a 2002 cabanna and the bottom awning anchor screws are loose. I know that one of them is in soft wood because of leaking. What is the best way to repair, for someone with few mechanical skills?

Thanks, leo

danimal
09-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Pictures mean a thousand words if you could add some.

That can be relatively simple to fix or somewhat difficult and expensive to resolve. I am sure there are dozens of solutions but since the wood is "soft" it is not a 5 minute fix. How to correct the problem depends on a number of factors including but not limited to the extent of the the water damage and access to the area from inside the trailer. In our previous trailer the bottom awning mounting screws came loose as well but there was no wood rot. That was an easy fix as I had access inside the trailer under a bench that took about an hour but my fix would not work in your situation.

Festus2
09-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Leo -
I just did a Google search on "Rotten Wood Repair/Rotten Wood Repair" and found several sites that you might find helpful. There are a number of products out there, including some good marine epoxies and compounds that may work for you.

As mentioned above, depending on the extent of the rot, it may be fairly labor intensive and time consuming. I don't think there are so much mechanical skills involved as being able to work with fiberglass, glues/epoxies and wood.

Check out these sites and see if there is something out there that looks promising.

lclark65
09-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Hi- it looks to me like I either have to remove the outside siding or go underneath and open up the bottom. There does not seem to be easy access otherwise. Which option is better?