PDA

View Full Version : Why buy a Motorhome

Randy_K
09-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Ok , I don't want to offend anyone who owns a motorhome but why ? I just returned from a two week camping trip and took notice of the motorhomes. Every one we saw , either pulled a car behind it or the DW / DH drove a second vehicle. Educate me please , I don't understand.

Randy

Robby9
09-06-2013, 02:20 PM
I agree. However, it's what they want. I don't have a good reason for owning a travel trailer other than I want one.

ctpd814
09-06-2013, 02:26 PM
I do not nor have I ever owned one. With that being said, the only advantage I have come up with is that it is more comfortable for the passengers to ride in. The dw and I discussed buying a motor home prior to purchasing our current unit and decided that there were far more disadvantages for us at this time.

danimal
09-06-2013, 02:56 PM
If I had the money and the place to put one it wouldn't be bad. Included in the money part would be the additional overall maintenance and fuel costs as well as a TOAD. I like my truck too much and you can't tow a Corvette.

Festus2
09-06-2013, 04:09 PM
You realize of course there are motorhomes and then there are motorhomes. They vary in size and shapes from Class A to B to C.

Some reasons that I can see... they are:
1) generally easier to maneuver - again depending upon their size.
2) easier to get into campground sites - no backing up a trailer or 5th, which for many is a real turn-off.
3) are subject to less bouncing and sway while on the highway making for a more comfortable ride. Although sitting in today's newer trucks isn't what I would call uncomfortable.
4) easier to set up and take down -- most have a number of push-button hydraulic levelers.
5) overall - a bit less hassle and fussing about.
6) almost mandatory for anyone 70+ years. :eek:

Some folks have trouble getting in and out of a truck. If they tow a car, then they can go off and do their thing not having to get in and out of a truck.

While on the road, someone can go back into the unit, make a nice, scrumptious snack and bring it to you without having to stop. Sort of like a drive-in on wheels. Same with potty and pee breaks for the passenger(s). No need to stop at Rest Areas.

Some may have air horns --- Now what better way to let people know to get out of my way! Can't do that on a little old pick up.

You know a motorhome is sounding better and better all the time........

Ruffus
09-06-2013, 05:47 PM
After towing fifth wheels for 25 plus years here is my take on it. If a motorhome is towing a dingy it is no different than someone towing a trailer, still two different vehicles. If your just a weekender camper or a short trip person then trailers and 5vers are great, but what if. Our trips last anywhere from a few days to a few months. Pulling my 38 foot fifth wheel I averaged 10 miles per gallon of diesel at over $4.00 a gallon. My new motorhome gets about 10 miles per gallon of gas at $3.29 per gallon. That was reason #1.
Last summer on an extended trip from Georgia to Colorado and back the average temperature was well over 100 degrees everyday. When we stopped for the night around 5 PM the temp inside the fifth wheel was about 120 degrees so we would have to plug into shore power, turn on the A/C and a large box fan and go sit under a shade tree for about an hour until the temp inside got down around 90 degrees, reason #2. With the MH we are cool when we decide to stop and if it gets to warm in the back of the MH all I have to do reach down and hit a button to start the generator and the big A/C fires up. So for the long haul I prefer my MH. For watching TV and putting my feet up and drinking a beer I prefer my fifth wheel. I guess that is what you call pros and cons.:soapbox:

Ken / Claudia
09-06-2013, 10:33 PM
I would like a 30-32 ft. class C. Queen bed on floor level not on a bunk. With a powerful tubro diesel engine. Then I can pull my boat, or ranger truck or nothing when traveling. They cost 90,000 or so new. The trailer was less than 1/3 of that. Even if I sold the F350, artic fox camper, exploxer, it would still be a BIG cost. I do like the trailer and am happy but, a motorhome would be nice to. So for me it is all about the cost of the purchase.

JRTJH
09-07-2013, 06:27 AM
As a previous owner of a 33' Seabreeze motorhome and a "borrower" of a 28" Holidar Rambler class C RV, I agree with many of the "pros and cons" listed here. One thing, however, that hasn't been mentioned yet is "rattles." Every pot, pan, lid, dish, piece of silverware, stove grate and canned good that are left "just laying" in a cupboard, unsecured, not rolled in a towel, etc will make life miserable as they all "sing" in anything but harmony with every bump, crack or pothole on the road.

And, as for "casually" getting up to go make a snack for the driver..... I well remember the one time my DW got up to get me a Coke and some chips while going down I 75 at about 70MPH. She opened the refrigerator door and a dozen eggs "launched" themselves at her. Yes, there was still "crusty stuff" in the carpet at the end of that trip. More than once trying to open the refrigerator as the motorhome "rocks and rolls" on the highway ended in disaster. And, it seems that all those "singing pots and pans" did get into some sort of harmony as they "chuckled" about the mess on the floor.

So, life's not always "great" on the "other side of the fence" I'll keep my fifth wheel, there's no plans to "cross over to the other side" again.

danimal
09-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Didn't know diesel fuel is cheaper for a motor home.

DieselMatt
09-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Didn't know diesel fuel is cheaper for a motor home.

Its not. He had/has a gasser MH.

ctpd814
09-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Some of what figured in our decision not to buy a mh was the cost of registration and insurance. On our trailer there was a one time $300 registration fee and insurance is about $400 per year. On a mh the registration would be a minimum of $150 per year and insurance would be at least $900 per year. Depending on what was purchased it could be higher.

Trent McCain
09-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Whenever we go to a campground my 7yr old daughter says "Daddy, we need an RV." I tell her we have one already....a 5th wheel is an RV....she says "no Daddy like that" while she points to a Prevost, Newmar or other $350,000+ coach. Atleast she has good taste, but I tell her that's not in Daddy's budget!When I ask her why she wants a motorhome, she has the obvious reasons, "I could fix you a snack, or watch TV or go to the bathroom without you having to stop." All valid points. We are a young family, and prefer the 5th wheel for several reasons. We can pull the boat behind and still have a vehicle to launch it. We pull with an F350 diesel and use it to pull other trailers as needed. Sometimes we use our 5th wheel in our trucking business to house us and the crew. A bunkhouse works great for the family or business use. We need a truck anyways so as our needs/wants change we can upgrade coachs and keep our present power unit. Insurance and property tax on our 5th wheel is inexpensive. There are pros and cons to each. For us at the present time, this makes more sense.

Trent

Birddog-Singer
09-07-2013, 09:15 PM
I've never owned a mh but besides the cost it doesn't seem like there is as much space as a trailer has. I own a large travel trailer but I think my preference over all would be a fifth wheel. The bedrooms are huge and so is the living space. I can certainly see the advantages of a mh but my opinion is unless you are a full timer and always on the move I'd rather have the space over the convenience (money no object). What no one has mentioned and I don't know the answer to is, which depreciates faster?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

mikell
09-08-2013, 03:30 AM
We fulltime in an Alpine then have a 26' class C for road trips like this weekends tractor show.

JRTJH
09-08-2013, 03:36 AM
I've never owned a mh but besides the cost it doesn't seem like there is as much space as a trailer has. I own a large travel trailer but I think my preference over all would be a fifth wheel. The bedrooms are huge and so is the living space. I can certainly see the advantages of a mh but my opinion is unless you are a full timer and always on the move I'd rather have the space over the convenience (money no object). What no one has mentioned and I don't know the answer to is, which depreciates faster?
Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Good question, but let's look at an example: Luxury fifth wheel: $150,000. Luxury motorhome: $450,000. Even if the motorhome depriciates half as fast, you're still going to lose 2X the investment in the same length of time.

I see luxury motorhomes that sold for half a million on sale 3 years later for $150,000. That's a $350,000 loss. Even if you "give away" your $150,000 fifth wheel at the end of 3 years, you're still $200,000 ahead :cool:

SAD
09-08-2013, 04:35 AM
Good question, but let's look at an example: Luxury fifth wheel: $150,000. Luxury motorhome: $450,000. Even if the motorhome depriciates half as fast, you're still going to lose 2X the investment in the same length of time.

I see luxury motorhomes that sold for half a million on sale 3 years later for $150,000. That's a $350,000 loss. Even if you "give away" your $150,000 fifth wheel at the end of 3 years, you're still $200,000 ahead :cool:

Good point!

Javi
09-08-2013, 07:28 AM
My parents had a very nice class A motorhome and loved it but dad refused to tow a toad so if they went somewhere and needed a car they rented one for the duration. It seemed to work for them but they were the exception I think. I don't think I'd ever want a MH just to much expense for the limited use I'd give it.

JeffS
09-12-2013, 06:25 PM
You realize of course there are motorhomes and then there are motorhomes. They vary in size and shapes from Class A to B to C.

Some reasons that I can see... they are:
1) generally easier to maneuver - again depending upon their size.
2) easier to get into campground sites - no backing up a trailer or 5th, which for many is a real turn-off.
3) are subject to less bouncing and sway while on the highway making for a more comfortable ride. Although sitting in today's newer trucks isn't what I would call uncomfortable.
4) easier to set up and take down -- most have a number of push-button hydraulic levelers.
5) overall - a bit less hassle and fussing about.
6) almost mandatory for anyone 70+ years. :eek:

Some folks have trouble getting in and out of a truck. If they tow a car, then they can go off and do their thing not having to get in and out of a truck.

While on the road, someone can go back into the unit, make a nice, scrumptious snack and bring it to you without having to stop. Sort of like a drive-in on wheels. Same with potty and pee breaks for the passenger(s). No need to stop at Rest Areas.

Some may have air horns --- Now what better way to let people know to get out of my way! Can't do that on a little old pick up.

You know a motorhome is sounding better and better all the time........

Here ya go Festus2!!!!!!!
http://www.jcwhitney.com/complete-train-horn-package-for-pickup-trucks/p2024189.jcwx?filterid=b2619c2553u0j1

SAABDOCTOR
09-13-2013, 05:10 AM
OK MY 2 CENTS Here in Connecticut a motor home registration is based on weight.very$$$$$$. my 5er is registered as a camp trailer cost $18.00 every two years. No motor home in my future!!:D yes I am cheap.