PDA

View Full Version : LED conversion problems

sjturbo
09-04-2013, 04:12 PM
We just got a new to us 2010 Laredo 316RL. I am trying to convert all the lights to LED's and have ran into a snag. There are two unique fixtures. A 2bulb shaded wall fixture has BAY15d bulbs. I replaced them with same type base LED's and no light. The second fixture is above the dining table. It has 3 bulbs, BA15s. Replaced them with the same type base LED and no light! Am I missing something here? Anyone have similar fixtures?

440justin
09-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Did you try to pull the bulb out and flip it around? You have to match the polarity on LED bulbs for them to work.

sjturbo
09-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Yes thanks, I know that a diode only conducts in one direction so I did try that with the 15d. You can't do that with the 15s.

440justin
09-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Where did you get the LED's from? Are they a reputable company that will stand behind their product and send you some different bulbs?

You could try to test the lights with a 12v source other than the light fixture, like taking some clip leads connected to your house or car battery and then to the light bulb. This would let you know if it is the bulb or something else in the light circuit that is the problem.

sjturbo
09-05-2013, 04:03 PM
The good, I tested the bulbs with a power supply I have and they work! The bad, I tested the bulbs that came in the fixture and the work in the fixture but short the power supply! S0, I'm thinking that the fixtures in the 5er are AC? That does not impress me! As soon as the temp goes down I will under take measuring the socket.

sjturbo
09-05-2013, 07:00 PM
I measured the fixture voltage and it is 12vdc. So tomorrow I will drop the fixture and attempt to wire the bulb directly to the source wires. It appears that the LED base is making good contact but that may not be happening. Stay tuned!

JRTJH
09-06-2013, 04:34 AM
You may want to reverse the leads going into the lamp assembly, then recheck the bulb. It may be that the lamp fixture is simply "wired backwards."

gkainz
09-06-2013, 08:05 AM
You may want to reverse the leads going into the lamp assembly, then recheck the bulb. It may be that the lamp fixture is simply "wired backwards."

x2 ... (10 chars)

SAABDOCTOR
09-06-2013, 09:00 AM
x3 third time is the charm!! good luck

Jager
09-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Ok, so the stupid question of the day is . . . So they have LED lights that you can use to replace the standard lights in your current camper fixtures? I didn't know that. I would assume that the LEDs will use much, much less power than the standard 12vs we have in there now (thus the reason for doing this conversion)?

Festus2
09-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Many members who dry camp have switched out to LED's throughout. As you pointed out they draw much less from your batteries (about 1/8th to 1/10th). This saving can result in extending your stay without power. This is quite significant when you consider the amount of lights that are in today's RV's.

If you rarely dry camp, there may not be much advantage to going to LED lighting. They also emit less heat and last longer than incandescent bulbs. You can pick them up very cheaply on line at a variety of sources. See our Sticky on LED lights in the Modifications & Upgrades section of the forum.

sjturbo
09-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Yup! I pulled the dining fixture and found that the lamp fixture was simply "wired backwards", yielding -13V. Quick swap and "lights, camera, action". Unfortunately I was not so lucky with the BA15d (wall fixture). I swapped wires but no luck. Rewired the switch but no luck! So I removed one of the incandescent bulbs and will only use it sparingly. Thanks for the idea JRTJH.