PDA

View Full Version : Black Tank Leaking at Top?

Wanderlust
09-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Howdy! I've just become a member of the forum. We have been actively trailering for almost 30 years now and love this great country. We've grown from a tiny trailer about the same size as a Scamp, which we called our "Bedrock Boulder", because it looked it was from the Flintstones. Next was a 21-foot, a 31-foot and a 33-foot travel trailer. We finally have our first 5th wheel! YAY!
We are terribly pleased with all the pleasant and wonderful replies that so many folks have had with their various problems. I really hope that we can get the same help here. We have just purchased a 2004 Everest 361P that is needing just a bit of TLC. The main problem is the black holding tank valve. I cannot get it to close with the cable handle. YUCK! I am hoping someone would have an idea where the gate valve is located and how the cable is secured to prevent it from buckling (which is suspect it is). I know it's somewhere behind that underbelly fabric that is sealed up to prevent rodents and weather problems, but I cannot bring myself to cut it open to just randomly poke around up in there to find the valve. Does anyone have a specific location for me to start looking at? Is there much room between the top of the tank and the support deck? I'm thinking that there also might be a broken joint at the juncture of the drop tube and the top of the tank. I've flushed a high pressure hose down the toilet throat and have a lot of water in the underbelly that needs to be let out. HELP!!!:banghead:
Another problem is that the floor squeaks and groans just before the step-down into the rear kitchen area as well as in the upstairs bath area. I am suspecting loose flooring, but am not confident. How can I bolster these areas and how can I actually get in there to do so?
Any ideas regarding these two problems would be greatly appreciated! Glad to be aboard and hope to be able to help others as time goes by.

Festus2
09-03-2013, 11:42 AM
First, welcome to the forum. I hope we can help you out with this one and any other issues that may arise in the future.

You shouldn't have to cut the coroplast (the black underbelly covering) at random. The black tank should be either directly underneath your toilet or a very short distance away from it. If you can remove some of the screws that hold the coroplast in place, and pull down the coroplast enough so you can see inside - may need a flashlight - you should be able to see the tank. Once it is located, you can either remove more screws to drop the coroplast enough so you can check the valves on the tank.

If you can't drop the coroplast enough to access the tank, you may have to cut - on 3 sides only - a section of the coroplast. It can always be put in place again with Gorilla tape and or plastic ties.

In the meantime, drill a couple of small holes in the coroplast to allow any water still trapped to drain out.

Hope this helps. Let us know how things progress with the fix.

diugo
09-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Here's a much simpler solution. Get yourself a $21 Valterra T58 Twist-On Valve, which simply attaches to where your dump cap is. Then permanently open your recalcitrant black tank valve and use the new valve instead. It even lets you use your gray water to back-flush your black tank.

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS

therink
09-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Where ever the black 3" drain pipe exits, the tank and valve is likely going to be near there. Like mentioned, the tank itself will be located in the near vicinity of the toilet.
I recently had to cut a hole in my belly covering to access and repair my black tank valve as it would not close completely. Mine turned out to be a baby cloth wipe stuck in the valve seat that was kindly deposited down the toilet by my DD.
I cut a 2' x 2' square where I thought the valve location was. Fortunately, the black and grey valves were both here. I removed and cleaned up then reinstalled the valve. BTW, make sure you fill and flush and drain your tank about a dozen times before you attempt to remove the valve and be prepared for a not so pleasant experience.
To close up the hole, I went to a sign shop that works with vinyl graphics and got a 2.5 x 2.5 piece of black coroplast and installed it to cover my hole securing it with short self tapping bolts to the existing coroplast and then sealed the edges with gorilla tape. I now have a custom access hatch for future valve repairs.

gepaine
09-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Here's a much simpler solution. Get yourself a $21 Valterra T58 Twist-On Valve, which simply attaches to where your dump cap is. Then permanently open your recalcitrant black tank valve and use the new valve instead. It even lets you use your gray water to back-flush your black tank.

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS

If I understand the OP correctly, he has two problems: (1) The gate valve is not operating correctly, and (2) he has a leak somewhere in is his black tank or associated plumbing. The Valterra should correct the first problem, but would leave him with the leak.

diugo
09-03-2013, 03:10 PM
The Valterra should correct the first problem, but would leave him with the leak.

True. I suspect the toilet drain was simply inserted into the black tank at the factory, with no attempt to create any kind of watertight connection. Such was the Keystone QC back in '04. Since this type of leak generally only occurs when the black tank is near full, and the fix is so difficult, simply avoiding that scenario---by dumping more often---would be my recommended solution.

Festus2
09-03-2013, 03:20 PM
If I understand the OP correctly, he has two problems: (1) The gate valve is not operating correctly, and (2) he has a leak somewhere in is his black tank or associated plumbing. The Valterra should correct the first problem, but would leave him with the leak.

This too is my understanding of the OP's problem. Perhaps I am missing something here but I don't see how his issue can be corrected simply by installing a Valterra valve such as the one diugo suggested. To me, his problem is somewhat more involved.

If there is a problem with the black tank flush check valve and it looks like it could be, then replacing it would be a good start towards solving it.