PDA

View Full Version : Jensen JE1911ACB Television- no signal

cajun4396
09-03-2013, 08:21 AM
On my 2012 31BHPR Ultra Lite the tv lost signal in the living room right in the middle of watching... I've read where the cable connectors are cheap and in trying to find out why the tv lost signal and doesn't know where it went, I must agree. The back tv on the same line works fine... But, with that said, I have reconnected all of the cable connectors, tightened, tried different cables, finally ran a cable from the front room cable outlet to the back tv and it found channels, so it looks to me to actaully be the tv itself. It's only a year and a half old, been used maybe 10 outings... HAs anyone else had a problem with the cable connector on the tv itself going out? I took the back of the tv off to expose what looks like a powerpach connected to the cable male... I have also tried to find the same model and cannot seem to find the exact ACB model, only the RTL model... Would anyone know if the RTL has been a replacement model that I'd be able to plug in and go? ANy help would be appreciated... Even comments on repairing if possible as these tv's aren't cheap are they??? :banghead:
(tx)

JRTJH
09-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Without pointing fingers at Jensen TV, most manufacturers (Keystone included) buy components in bulk from the lowest bidder, so usually the TV's included are not the "best quality" and sometimes aren't even available at local stores. It doesn't suprise me that you had an issue with the TV and would make an "educated guess" that you suffered a "major meltdown" somewhere in the RF receiver. If the TV still turns on, still has a "menu" function yet there's no picture or sound, it would probably be cheaper to get a new one than to try to repair the broken one.

If you're still in the 1 year Keystone warranty, call your dealer, if not:

It looks like you've tried to verify that it is the TV by connecting it to a "known good antenna output." I'd take it into the house, try it there on a good RF cable input and, if it still won't work, it's up to you whether to spend money to get it checked out or simply replace it. Keep in mind that most electronics service shops will charge you a diagnostic fee of $50 or so to check it out (and apply that to the repair if you say yes). So, even if you have it checked out and decide it's too costly to repair you will still owe the fee.

19" through 22" LCD sets are going for less than $100 on sale many places, 26" for about $139 and 32" for less than $200.

Yes, we seem to now live in a disposable society :confused:

cajun4396
09-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks JRTJH for the response.

Additional question to everyone... If the rv is working off of a converter do I even need a 12v compatible tv, or can I just find a tv that is 110v ac even off of battery power? The tv installed works off of an ac 110v regular outlet...

thanks again...

JRTJH
09-03-2013, 09:18 AM
If I understand your question correctly, you're asking if the 120 volt TV will function off the 12 volt "converter" you have in your trailer. The answer is NO, it will not. Converters are designed to change 120 volts to 12 volts to run the lights, furnace and refrigerator in your RV and to charge the 12 volt batteries. it is not functional and does not operate anything unless you are plugged into 120 volt shore power.

Generally speaking here is no 120 VAC supply (when not on shore power) in Keystone RV's as manufactured (there may be a few "high end" exceptions). The only way to get 120 VAC to run a TV when not plugged into shore power is either to run a generator or to "invert" 12VDC from the battery through a 12VDC/120VAC inverter. Inverters are not a "standard build" item with any Keystone and are an option only on a select few "high end" models.

We have a 32" LED (not LCD) TV in our Cougar. It is 110VAC only, when dry camping we use a 12VDC inverter (140 watts) to power the TV for about an hour each night. We try to catch the news and weather every evening. Keep in mind that even the 75+/- watts the LED TV draws will create a significant drain on a 12 volt battery system, so unlimited use is pretty much out of the question.

LED TV's use about "half" the wattage of comparable LCD TV's. Our 26" LCD in the Springdale would not function on a 140 watt inverter, we had to go to a 230 watt one to operate the TV. Some others may have different experiences, but that's generally what we've experienced.

cajun4396
09-04-2013, 08:08 AM
I'm not sure what I'm trying to say/ask... The tv that came with the rv has an AC 110 regular wall plug only. It plugs into the wall next to the cable booster... I think the tv is compatible with working off of 12 volt because the rv is set up with a transformer that transforms 12v to 110v and vise-versa? I'm trying to replace the installed tv with a new one and want to make sure I order the right type. I guess my question is do I need to buy a 12v tv that comes with a 110v ac adapter? I haven't used the tv on just battery power but I have used the stereo, which is also a Jensen, and is linked to the tv on just 12v battery power... Does the rv converter convert 12v to 110v and also convert 110v to 12v? Might be a stupid question but I just don't know...

The original tv model Jensen JE 1911ACB is discontinued I'm told and what I find is model number JE1911RTL...it's the only model in 19" that looks exactly the same with front controls...

B&T
09-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Does the rv converter convert 12v to 110v and also convert 110v to 12v?

The rv converter is 110v to 12v only.

Note: Not all Jensen Tv's are 12v, mine is not.
As far as replacement compatibility, maybe a good idea to go to Jensen for help on that.

On your current Jensen Television, have you tried going into the menu and finding the "reset TV to factory defaults", select it and then rescan for channels for your viewing input(s)(cable/off the air). Just a shot in the dark but it helped my TV that was acting strange.

cajun4396
09-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks B&T, yes I have reset it and nothing changes. What I am seeing is the cable connector male on the tv connects into a silver rectangular box that is soldered to the board. SOmething must be wrong with the box or the board... I'm writing to Jensen today to see if I can get any tech support.

Thanks again.