PDA

View Full Version : axle modifications?

kiwi2000
09-02-2013, 06:32 PM
My neighbor has been rv ing for years and is on at least his third 5th.
He is telling me I should get a kit to replace the bushings and connectors on the unit I have. He states he has done this to all of his trailers.

His latest has the same Equaflex suspension and he is changing them over with a kit.The bushings are copper instead of plastic.
The steel is thicker on the connections and grease fittings are added.

The dextor axles manual states lube every 3 years.
I had this service provided by the dealer.

Just wondering if this kit is a good idea.

eds451
09-02-2013, 07:48 PM
I put on the Dexter E-Z Flex on my 5th wheel two years ago. The bushings were plastic and pretty much gone when I replaced them.
It seems to me there is less bounce and the overall ride in the TV is better. I also put on a MorRyde pin box to eliminate chucking.
Would I do it again on my next trailer?....YUP!!

jsmith948
09-03-2013, 05:50 AM
Our Cougar came with the Trailair Equaflex equalizers but had the standard, nylon bushings and dry bolts. After reading some posts rgarding premature bushing failures, I checked our suspension. While difficult to see while assembled, it looked like the bushings had significant wear after only 3500 miles! I added a 'wet bolt' kit which comes with bronze bushings, heavier links and greasable (wet) bolts. If you can spin wrenches, you can do it yourself. There are several threads with good, step-by-step photos. Good luck:)

kiwi2000
09-03-2013, 06:51 AM
K thanks for the replies.
I guess I will add it to the list.

Festus2
09-03-2013, 07:06 AM
kiwi2000 -
You've received good advice from the above posters. Not sure how many kms you have put on your RV but I am betting that you would be surprised to see how quickly and how much those bushings, hangers, and bolts have worn down. I replaced mine after 2 years with a wet bolt kit and the originals looked really beat. $$$ well spent.

danimal
09-03-2013, 07:10 AM
I am pretty meticulous about maintenance and have been towing TT's for years and I have never thought to check suspension parts for wear. I will do more investigation to see what might be wearing or worn out in the suspension. Thanks for the post.

Festus2
09-03-2013, 08:07 AM
danimal -

I see that you have an '05 Hornet and if you haven't had a chance to check out the suspension parts mentioned above, now might a good time to do so. A visual check won't reveal too much - you'll have to raise the unit up, take the wheel off and go from there.

danimal
09-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Festus--I plan to do that within the next week. I want to repack the bearings and check the brakes as well.

kiwi2000
09-08-2013, 07:33 AM
My neighbor says there is a better option for my trailer than the wet bolt kit. For my trailer there is an all copper option no lube required and good for 100K miles available from Lippert.

I am now wondering if I already have this item installed as my trailer is not that old.

Also what is "chucking"?
Is that when the truck does not ride smooth due to poor pavement?

If so I would like to add that MorRyde pin box as well.