PDA

View Full Version : Stove Cover/Cutting board

mom2budnbug
09-01-2013, 10:56 AM
My DH's project this weekend. Made of maple and oak with legs that fit between the stove grill to keep in place and legs on the corners for stability when used on a table.

danimal
09-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Great job and it looks similar but better than the factory one that came with my trailer. It certainly does provide much needed counter space when not using the stove.

Kristi
09-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Nice! I've been looking at buying or building one of those, do you have a picture of the bottom? How did he do the legs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Woodsrider
09-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Nice! I've been looking at buying or building one of those, do you have a picture of the bottom? How did he do the legs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of us will get a picture of the bottom when the other three are complete. Basically I just cut square pieces from the scraps, centered the grate on the bottom of the board to locate the feet, and glued them down, then put a couple of 18g finish nails in them for good measure.

I have this one complete, one that is getting it's first coat of oil, one that is waiting for the glue to dry on the feet, and one that sill needs to be assembled. It cost me less that $50 in materials to make four. One for everyone in the group.

Festus2
09-01-2013, 04:25 PM
One for everyone in the group.

Woodsrider - How does one become a member of "the group"? If allowed to join, do I qualify for one those cutting boards? :D

mom2budnbug
09-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Legs of the cutting boards

Woodsrider
09-02-2013, 08:13 AM
We took the three that I had assembled to a friends house last night to show them off, and discovered that the grate on his Atwood Stove is different from mine. The cleats that I put on using my grate as a guide, would not fit his stove top. :confused:
He is going to have to rework the center cleat on the board I gave him.

I was working under the assumption that the stove tops were all identical, built in an assembly jig of sorts, but that apparently is not the case. Now I'm curious to see if the rest of the stove tops differ from mine as well.

Festus: "the group" is just our little group of friends, we all live in the same neighborhood. So I guess, you'd just have to move down here. ;)

ThePressureIsOn
09-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Sweet! Nice Job. I like the way you fit it to the stove top. Man, I hope the DW doesn't see this.:)

Kristi
09-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Legs of the cutting boards

Hmm... looks like a great project for DH. (tx)

zenbuck
09-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Another good mod... Adds that much more counter space!

cathcartww
09-05-2013, 06:23 PM
That is one great looking cutting board!

We have one we bought at Cabela's that is functional, but not nearly as elegant.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camco-RV-Stove-Top-Cutting-Board/1337934.uts?productVariantId=3147820&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=bingcashback&WT.z_mc_id1=1337934&rid=40&channel=bingcashback&mr:referralID=89428e42-169a-11e3-bae4-001b2166c2c0

I am amazed at how well the "non skid backing" - which is sort of a plastic mesh glued to the bottom of the cutting board - holds the board on top of the stove without any of the cleats like you guys used. Because of the flat non skid back, our cutting board can be used on the counter, or used as a serving platter inside or outside the trailer.

Wish ours looked half as good as yours!

Woodsrider
09-05-2013, 07:06 PM
I never even thought to use that stuff. We have it all over the trailer too. We even use scraps of it to keep the sink cover from sliding around while we are traveling.
Does it hold a lot of water when you wash the board?

cathcartww
09-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Does it hold a lot of water when you wash the board?

Not enough to notice, I guess ....

The trailer is not here - it is in storage - but if I remember, it is some kind of slightly tacky plastic - lint and stuff doesn't stick to it, but it holds it place.

I really don't remember any problems. We really don't wash the bottom - just use soap and hot water on the top.

Sorry, I guess that really isn't an answer!

Woodsrider
09-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Not enough to notice, I guess ....

The trailer is not here - it is in storage - but if I remember, it is some kind of slightly tacky plastic - lint and stuff doesn't stick to it, but it holds it place.

I really don't remember any problems. We really don't wash the bottom - just use soap and hot water on the top.

Sorry, I guess that really isn't an answer!

It isn't the same stuff as the no slip shelf liner then.

cathcartww
09-05-2013, 07:35 PM
It isn't the same stuff as the no slip shelf liner then.

Not quite the same. Sort of the same design, but not very porous - more like a molding of dried rubber cement ...

At any rate, it surprised me how well it holds to the grate of the stove.