PDA

View Full Version : New 5th wheel

vallboss2
08-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Just traded our Bullet Premier 30REPR for a 2014 Alpine 3600RS 5th Wheel. Never owned a 5th Wheel, but everyone says they are easier to tow. The dealer said I needed a slider hitch with air bags for my Ford F250 Lariat diesel short bed crew cab. Is he right and is the 5th worth the extra bucks. Since I am new to the 5th wheel towing and camping, give me some tips. I pick the new Alpine up next week. Will post new photos.

tileman
08-31-2013, 05:35 PM
Got my 1st 5th wheel toy hauler back about 15 months ago.

I installed air bags in our dodge 3500 DRW make the ride not so harsh and made the truck ride more level.

The thing I found out that the trailer takes a tad longer to respond to the input of the steering while backing up for me it dose.
Also it will track slightly inside of the truck so allow more room on turns.

I had a guy help me get into a spot once I kept trying and trying and he says just pull up more then you think you need to I was ok...
well it worked great got it in the spot the 1st try.

Just take it slow and have fun :)

http://oi43.tinypic.com/24w95p5.jpg

danimal
08-31-2013, 06:54 PM
I went from a TT to a 5th wheel and have found that it is a much more comfortable tow. My Slverado 2500 also has a 6 1/2 foot bed and I do have a slider hitch although I have never had to use the slide feature. Whenever I am cutting a really tight turn (either forward or backing) I do keep an eye on the corner of the trailer to ensure it will not hit the cab but it has never really come that close. If I pushed it to the limit the trailer would hit the cab but that would have to be nearly a 90 degree turn. I am not sorry that I bought the slider, though, it may come in handy someday...you never know.

Ditto previous response that backing up is different than with a TT in that the initial turn and subsequent turns are not quite as responsive.

Can't comment on the airbags since I do not have them. My trailer only has about 1200# pin weight (dry) and when hitched (ready to camp) it barely compresses the springs and the truck drops maybe 1/2" but not even an inch.

Terry W.
09-01-2013, 04:43 AM
I went with a slider hitch. When we stop to check in at the campground office I slide it just for saftey. Then when I finish at the dump station I slide it back to tow position. Also help with the responce when backing up.

I went with super springs on my F-250. It is just a slight stiff unloaded but real close to level when towing, no headlight flashing at me anymore.

vallboss2
09-01-2013, 06:20 AM
This is why I like beng part of the keystone family, everyone is so helpful! Thanks!