PDA

View Full Version : Spice rack

Jrmac22
08-28-2013, 03:12 PM
This past weekend I added a spice rack to the blank panel above the microwave. This wasted space worked perfectly. The entire project took maybe 2 hrs and looks as though it was installed at the factory. The space above the refrigerator is the next victim, maybe a bread box.....

Andymon
08-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Very nice!!

Jca3
08-28-2013, 05:26 PM
looks great. Did your trailer come with the backsplash or did you add it too?

Jrmac22
08-28-2013, 07:11 PM
I added the backsplash a few weeks ago. Smart tiles.....

theeyres
08-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Looks great. Wish we had that much space above the microwave--but we don't--or I'd do the same.

zenbuck
08-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Nice, clean mod!!:thumbsup:

JRTJH
08-29-2013, 08:44 AM
ok Ok OK !!!!! Now you've gone and done it..... My DW just printed off a picture of your spice rack and is standing here pointing at the picture saying, "See, this is what I was talking about. When can you do it?"

DA*N (darn) and I thought I could "relax" today...... <sigh>

Festus2
08-29-2013, 08:48 AM
John -
You should know by now that when your wife is nearby and you are on here looking at photos of mods and upgrades you need to quickly get rid of that page! I'm surprised that you haven't clued into this yet. Serves you right.

JRTJH
08-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Festus2,

I thought I was "safe" from prying eyes.... She doesn't usually even stay in the room when I'm on the forum. Seems that's "guy stuff" and "I'm not interested" stuff, but somehow, she printed off the picture of that spice rack and came into my office with it in hand pointing at the picture saying, "I want this" So....... I have already removed the microwave once to install the rear view camera, now to just measure for materials and see how difficult it will be to remove the panel and install the setback and drill two holes for a dowel..... Hmmmmmm I'm glad I left the reefer on and have some "adult beverages" readily available :)

michol02
08-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Nice mod Jrmac22. :cool:

mom2budnbug
09-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Very nice use of that space.

danimal
09-01-2013, 01:08 PM
X whatever number and I might surprise the wife by doing the same. Great idea and it looks perfect.

chartrand
02-21-2014, 06:45 PM
How did you make this? It looks like you removed the back panel, added more wood around the edges and then put it back on? Did you have to stain and match the wood? Details please I have to make one of these as well, but below the sink are is my extra panel.

Thanks
Pat

Bill & Deb
02-21-2014, 07:45 PM
I added the backsplash a few weeks ago. Smart tiles.....

Where did you get the tiles?

Bill

theasphaltrv'er
02-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Great mod. I made a 2 shelf spice rack that stands against the wall behind the stove top burners. Have tried to post pics of it and other mods but can't figure out how to do it.

jamesfamilytx
02-26-2014, 11:28 PM
I don't have any space above my microwave or fridge. I've been pondering making a spice rack for the wall, perhaps behind the stove or next to the sink, but then I came up with this...little magnetic containers on the vent hood for the stove.5158

Beth and Dennis James
Austin, TX
2013 Bullet 248RKS
2011 Silverado 2500 HD

chartrand
02-27-2014, 08:26 AM
I don't have any space above my microwave or fridge. I've been pondering making a spice rack for the wall, perhaps behind the stove or next to the sink, but then I came up with this...little magnetic containers on the vent hood for the stove.5158

Beth and Dennis James
Austin, TX
2013 Bullet 248RKS
2011 Silverado 2500 HD

Do those magnetic spice containers slip off during transport? Also I saw a video thread from www.gonewiththewynns.com that those spice containers have condensation issue and then the spice get wet?

JRTJH
02-27-2014, 08:54 AM
My DW is the "spice expert" (I have only recently been allowed to use salt and pepper). She says to be careful storing any spices in containers where it gets warm as that will cause them to go "bad" real fast. As for humidity, if the stove is being used to cook, I'd suppose the vapors from cooking would cause that entire area to be hot and wet. Probably not a good idea for prolonged storage of spices. I wonder if it would be possible to mount a metal strip on the wall somewhat apart from the stove and use those magnetic bottles there (rather than on the range hood).

jamesfamilytx
02-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Do those magnetic spice containers slip off during transport? Also I saw a video thread from www.gonewiththewynns.com that those spice containers have condensation issue and then the spice get wet?
No problems during transport so far and no problems with condensation, either. Should note that we do a lot of cooking outside, and when we do cook on the stovetop, we always use the vent fan. These containers came from the Container Store and you can purchase them alone or with a mountable magnetic strip.

Beth

fla-gypsy
02-27-2014, 06:51 PM
That is great work and love the back splash

Sivymp1
04-19-2014, 05:45 AM
Thats perfect, we just picked up our Passport last week and I was looking for a spice rack and that looks perfect! Be looking into this today.