PDA

View Full Version : Do you run your generator with the hatch door closed, slightly or all the way open?

ToyTLH
08-27-2013, 05:28 PM
I have a 2012 Raptor 300MP that we bought like new late last fall has an Onan Marquis 5500 generator. We have used it several times and we love it.

Are you supposed to run the generator with it's hatch door closed, or just open a few inches, the way it hangs vertically/slightly open from it's own weight, or full open with the hatch clipped to the under side so it is at 90 degrees open?

Or is it a function on hot it is outside? I know it cools from the bottom, but on hotter days, it seems like it really gets hot if the hatch door is closed.

Thanks for the great forum and Keystone for the great 5th wheeler!

SAD
08-27-2013, 05:37 PM
I no longer have a 5er TH, but when I did, I never opened the door unless I was checking or changing the oil.

maxx1963
08-27-2013, 06:20 PM
I have ran mine when it is like 90 outside with the door open, it just seems like it gets to hot in there for that door to be closed. just don't make the same mistake i did, i let it run with the door open for about 2 hours then shut the door right as i turned it off and it warped the door from the shock of heat. Luckily its not really noticeable.

crash
08-28-2013, 03:25 AM
Ive run mine both ways ,but on the longer runs I will just let the door swing open under its own weight it will stay open acouple inchs just enough to get the air flow that I think it needs,Just my 2 cents:D

SAD
08-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Puzzled

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13330

Festus2
08-28-2013, 02:50 PM
ToyTLH -
Seems like you started two identical threads in two different sections of the forum. I've deleted one of duplicate threads along with 2 or 3 replies. Duplicate posting results in members having to choose where they are going to respond and replies/answers end up being scattered over two threads - confusing for members who might want to a search on a topic.

That Girl Racing
08-30-2013, 03:59 AM
The door they refer to in the owner/service manuals that must stay closed is the actual cover for the generator. It is part of the generators cooling system. Leaving the trailers access door open won't hurt anything. Anyone on here having trouble with the generator running six or seven hours, then shutting off and giving a 36 fault code?

SAD
08-30-2013, 04:07 AM
The door they refer to in the owner/service manuals that must stay closed is the actual cover for the generator. It is part of the generators cooling system. Leaving the trailers access door open won't hurt anything. Anyone on here having trouble with the generator running six or seven hours, then shutting off and giving a 36 fault code?

I've ran mine for 4-5 days straight.