PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Camping

JB2705
08-27-2013, 08:57 AM
I recently purchased a Premier 32BHPR travel trailer, love it! I have plans to use it throughout the fall and into December. I live in the northeast and I'm concerned about the water lines freezing as the temperatures drop below freezing. Does anyone have any tips for cold weather use? Are there instructions published anywhere that I can follow?

Festus2
08-27-2013, 09:42 AM
It might be helpful if you were to indicate whether your fall and early winter camping will take you to sites with hookups or if you will be dry camping/boon docking or both.

MarkS
08-27-2013, 10:11 AM
If the temp only drops below freezing for a couple of hours at night, you probably will not have trouble. Keep the furnace on. It helps to open cabinet doors under the sinks, at night. Disconnect the city water hose at night.

You may need to brush the snow off your slide before you retract it.

If it stays below freezing for days, good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JB2705
08-27-2013, 02:56 PM
I will be camping with full hook ups. Is there a way to shut off the water to the external kitchen & the external shower? I was thinking of wrapping the exposed pipes with heat tape. Any other suggestions?

Festus2
08-27-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm not aware of any means of shutting off water to the external kitchen and shower. There are no shut offs for separate or individual water systems that you mentioned. Wrapping the pipes with heat tape is a good idea and will go a long way to keep your lines from freezing.
Some people put a small heater in one of the storage compartments where exposed lines often run through.

Running your furnace may provide a very small amount of heat to find its way into the underbelly and to your tanks but by the time it gets there and into the basically uninsulated underbelly, the tanks are not going to be protected that much. If you have time, I'd remove sections of the coroplast, go into the underbelly and add extra insulation around the tanks.

Leaving the pump exposed might be something to consider. If it is located behind a panel, take the panel off so that some of the interior warm air will reach it more easily. A small space heater placed near the pump will keep the interior warm as well as the pump and water lines that enter and leave it.

Making use of foam pipe wrap is also something to consider. You can't put electric pipe wrap around all of the lines but putting foam pipe wrap over any other exposed pipe will help.

GaryWT
08-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Not sure if you are in one place or moving around. A lot of campgrounds close or turn their water off by the end of Oct. campground bathrooms are open and heated. Most pipes will be fine exeot what you mentioned plus the low point drains under the trailer. Also the tanks are in the "heated" section but the valves are not so they could freeze shut. Just a lot more work in the cold.

mikell
08-29-2013, 08:29 AM
I've been fulltiming in Michigan for the last 4 years what do you need to know

crash
08-29-2013, 08:45 AM
I know how to cold weather camp the best ,1st point your rv south and stand on the gas pedal til you get to warm weather:DJust kidding.