PDA

View Full Version : New truck and int brake controller

chris199
08-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Bought a GMC 3500HD with the integrated brake controller. Is set on 7 now. A friend with a Ford and a similar sized trailer said his pretty much locks up at 3. I just set mine with the std process. I can put it up on 8 and it still doesnt lock. Do I have to do something else to synch the controller with the trailer?

Is this setting "normal"?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Shoey
08-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Your probably fine. How high you need to set the brake controller is dependent on the number of axles, brake shoe wear, and also brake shoe adjustment. I recently bought a 2013 GMC w/ integrated brake controller and I did need to set the "number" slightly higher than by old truck with the prodogy II brake controller.

therink
08-26-2013, 01:06 PM
I run mine at 8.5 and wheels never lock. On a 12k trailer I dont think they will lock up unless roads are wet or on dirt/gravel. They never locked on my old fiver either.
I love the built in controller. The hard I hit the brake pedal, the harder the trailer brakes are applied. I have it set so the brakes grab ar same time and don't feel the jerking I used to feel with my old prodigy controller.
I am also tow other lighter trailers for work and run the factory controller between 3 and 6 depending on the loads.

jljfstar
08-29-2013, 12:30 AM
I just bought the same truck as you did and also set mine at 7. I tow 35 foot trailer and weight is 7400 loaded. Seems to be the right number.

crash
08-29-2013, 02:38 AM
I have mine set at 5 and it works great for me.

Brantlaker
08-29-2013, 09:11 AM
The Integrated Brake Controllers in the newer trucks are hooked up to the Anti Lock brake system. I'm not shore about the Chevy or Ram's but the Ford has a Anti Sway control built into it. I have never been able to lock up my brakes with any trailer that I use both RV's or utility. But they always stop and my truck brakes are only a 1/4 worn with 30,+ and 15, towing.