PDA

View Full Version : Nevada: Winnemucca, Carson City ???

DennisT
08-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Still new to RV'ing, and plan to travel from rural E WA state to or around Carson City, Nevada, from early Sept. into October. Have been digging through RV sites along the way. Winnemucca, Carson City itself, etc. Anyone have suggestions? Will travel through Pendleton, Ore, then SE past Nampa, ID, then cut west toward Carson. All new territory to us. Reviews of RV sites seem varied, but I hate to wing it without reservations either. Also not sure of rest sites along the way suitable for short sleep sessions.

??

Dennis

jsmith948
08-21-2013, 04:18 AM
Recenly stayed one night at the High Desert RV Park in Winnemucca. Nice, friendly folks running it. The CG was very clean and quiet. The pull through sites are a little tight. The sites themselves are wide enough - just the drive through road way was bordered by pressure treated poles lying along the driveway. That combined wih the narrow roads made it hard to swing in from the road. Roadways were all gravel, but, with the wind, the dust wasn't an issue. We would stay there again- but a back in site would have been easier. :)

DennisT
08-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks, Jack. Actually, I had made reservations at the RV park just down the road from the one you mentioned. Then I read a few less-than-pleased reviews of it, so may switch to the High Dessert one you used. By your signature photo, you appear to have a 5th wheel. I have a long, full sized pickup and a 26' bumper pull. I wonder if I'd have trouble with their back-in sites where you stayed ........ I can back my outfit, but still being a bit new, .. I'm just slow.

It is nice to hear reviews/comments as I'm not yet confident about my traveling.

Dennis

jsmith948
08-22-2013, 04:58 AM
Hello Dennis - To clarify, the pull through spots are do-able. Just a little tight. Had the DW watch the right front tire so we didn't hit the landscape timber bordering the driveway. I think the back in sites would be easier as they are situated (if memory serves) around the outside 'ring' of the CG. They are angled 45 deg. to the roadway and you can back in from the 'good' (driver's) side. Good luck & have a great trip!:)

Murphsmom
08-25-2013, 03:22 PM
We stayed overnight at Rye Patch Reservoir, less than an hour from Winnemucca, when we crossed Nevada in June. It is a nice quiet overnight place to stay. Easy on and off the interstate, but a couple of miles or so from the highway. Stay in the lower campground if you want to be in the trees. It's below the dam. Spaces above the dam are more open and there are more boaters camped there. They have a free RV dump station, and the CG rates were very low. Not too sure about reservations. We didn't have them. There are also showers available for a very low fee.
http://parks.nv.gov/parks/rye-patch-state-recreation-area/

The two parks in town were less than impressive.

Are you going through Nampa because you want/need to? Otherwise just take Exit 3 off Highway 84 and head south on 95. That will take you into Winnemucca without towing the trailer through town.

Murph's mom
2013 Cougar 25RLSWE

DennisT
08-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Murphsmom:
Thanks. I checked that website and it looks nice. Depends on my wife's desires for near/in town vs rural. Also depends on how she's feeling as she has health issues. It's sure great to know options.

No, we don't need to go through Nampa. We were thinking like you, turning south closer to Ontario. I can do without cities pulling this trailer.

Dennis

Murphsmom
08-26-2013, 04:22 PM
We live right there (Fruitland) and always take 95 when we go south. Just be sure you make the left turn just after Parma and head over the overpass to Homedale. Have a great trip.

We actually ended up staying in the Walmart lot on our way down last time.... Now we can say we've been there, done that. We checked out the two RV parks and decided Wally World was our best bet.

Murph's mom

Tinbender
08-26-2013, 06:42 PM
DennisT,

I highly recommend this park in Caldwell!! We stayed there last June on our 2 week trip through Idaho and have to say this was one of, if not the nicest, park we stayed in on the entire trip. It was also inexpensive in comparison which made us a little nervous until we had boots on ground. Just our opinion but take a look here.
http://www.countrycornersrvpark.com/

As for Winnemucca, it is a dry, dusty, trashy, desert town and the RV parks reflect this condition. We have stayed at both parks in town on several different occasions because there just isn't much else out in that corner of Nevada. The stays were fine and we had no extraordinary troubles but it is still a desert town and if the wind blows your in for a treat.

Tinbender

DennisT
08-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Murphsmom:
Thanks again. I checked that intersection and see that left turn.
Tinbender: Interesting idea about Caldwell. NICE looking park.

Comments about Winnemucca are getting interesting! I always figured there wasn't much there. As for wind......we live in the middle of E WA wheatfields. Just yesterday I spent half the day cleaning the roof and washing our TT. About an hour before dusk I looked across the fields to the south and saw a high brown cloud rapidly moving our way. Extended all across the southern horizon. I came inside and sure enough, we had 40 minutes of 30/45 mph winds and a dust storm that limited visibility to about 80 feet at it's worst. Guess what I did today?

At present we're planning to leave here, (95 mi. north of Tri Cities, WA), and driving to LaGrande where we have reservations at, "Eagles Hot Lake," outside of town. Not a long drive, admittedly, but, again, I'm still a bit new at dealing with the TT and distances. After LaGrande, I see no gorgeous garden spots for a long way as we try to get to Carson City, NV.

So if not Winnemucca, what.....?.... in between?

Dennis

Murphsmom
08-27-2013, 06:17 AM
Well...it certainly isn't McDermitt! LOL. Winnemucca is just about the halfway point from Ontario, so that is pretty much your only choice.

Caldwell may have a nice park, but it will add miles to the trip and take you through town. I drive that way several times a month, so will have to check it out.

BTW, be sure to fill up with fuel at the truck stop where 95 turns south toward Jordan Valley. The stations in McDermitt are extremely high priced.

Murph's Mom

DennisT
08-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks again. Your truck stop/fuel stop must be right after Homedale at the, "tee." Ha. Yup, I finally see McDermitt at the ID/NV border. Dot on the map is so small I'd missed it.

Guess I'll see what my 35 gallon diesel tank will down that way. My problem is I usually like to run on the top half or so. I got that way from living in rural areas in the winter.

Dennis