PDA

View Full Version : First time - How do I wash her?

MicheleF
08-19-2013, 12:26 PM
We're back from our first trip with our new-to-us Alpine FW. She's FILTHY...

Black goop all over, and millions of bodies from various insects.

How do I wash her, and what do I use? Can I use an electric power washer? Do I need special soap? Some people have mentioned waxing - how the heck do I wax something that big?~!

Also - I don't like ladders. :o

hankpage
08-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Some people have mentioned waxing - how the heck do I wax something that big?~!

Also - I don't like ladders. :o

Get yourself a good long handled brush, (Auto or marine store) Auto, RV, or marine wash and wax, a good bucket and go to town. You don't have to finish in one day. Some folks use wet dryer sheets to remove bugs, I just wait for a rainy day to keep them wet and scrub, scrub, scrub. Glad you enjoyed your trip cause now the fun begins. "bouncey: JM2¢, Hank

msuron
08-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I've had good luck using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads to remove the bugs. Just wet down and scrub!

ctpd814
08-21-2013, 12:11 PM
I use a good vehicle wash and wax and an extendable brush. I always clean the roof first and then work my way around the sides doing about a 4 to 5 ft section at a time from top to bottom. It usually takes me 2 to 3 hours.

Ayotte
08-26-2013, 07:06 PM
You may not believe this but I have found one of the best soaps to remove bugs is Avon bubble bath. Have used it in the past on cars, trucks and campers. Works great and won't harm the surfaces.

BeaverRZR
08-27-2013, 11:22 AM
The Mr Clean magic eraser is a must have tool in any RV'ers junk drawer. Just be careful as it can remove some of the shine if used too hard. The wet dryer sheet thing has worked great for me in the past removing bugs

therink
08-27-2013, 02:35 PM
I do not recommend using a power washer. Good old elbow grease, soft brush on painters extendable fiberglass pole, good detergent (I use Dawn) and a few hours of your time.
It also helps to hand apply a good polish on all vertical surfaces (I use Nu-Finsh) once per year to make washing and removing bugs so much easier.
Steve

hankaye
08-27-2013, 06:56 PM
MicheleF, Howdy;

A few decades ago, I was taught how to wash an airplane.
They are generally quite large and one of the main points was
for the soap to NOT dry out on the sides or other parts of the
fuselage(body).
Pick a side, and wet it all over then start washing from the
bottom to the top. This way the dripping soap will slide down
and keep the lower parts wet. When you go to rinse start at
the top and rinse down. Use lots of water the more the better.
Move on to the next side. For the long sides break them down into
manageable chunks, like 10' to 15 ' sections.
For the roof, I'd suggest utilizing the search function and choose
a method and cleaner to your liking. If you have a helper they can
help flush the residue down the sides and keep the black streaks
form appearing.

hankaye