PDA

View Full Version : stabilizer bolts - Passport models

08quadram
08-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Got a call from my dealer today. Said Keystone issued a recall for the bolt (self tapping/drilling screws) holding the stabilizer jacks on could fail. First thing he said to me was "your going to get a kick out of this". I had one of the rear jacks fall off bringing it home new from the dealer. the other rear jack had a screw fail as I was jacking it up. They ended up replacing both jacks (they were rusty and one was missing) with no complaints. Shipped it to me and I installed.
He said they Keystone would provide no warranty service until any open recalls were taken care of. Crap. The nearest dealer is an hour away for a 20 minute fix. The dealer I purchased from is 2 1/2 hours away. He suggested finding a closer one or if I was going to be in the area camping sometime before the warranty goes out.

I looked at the Keystone site. they don't have it listed yet, but it may be just issued by the sounds of it.

Carmen D
08-19-2013, 11:46 AM
We checked ours and each of the stabilizer's has two bolts on one side and two self taping screws on the other side. Glad you shared your information.
Thank you, Carmen

08quadram
08-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Mine are nothing more than the screws. They were over torqued for sure. When I replaced one of my stabilizers (rear) the screw shanks were rusty where they were sheared off. meaning the sheared off end was rusty. Someone got a little driver happy and cranked up the settings.

Terrydactile
08-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Makes you wonder about what else was assembled with an incorrect torque setting on a screw gun.

GMSIMS
08-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Got a letter in the mail today from Keystone on this issue.

Recall: 13V-338
Safety Advisory: 13-196

Certain Model 2013 Bullet and Passport Travel Trailers

"it has been decided that Keystone RV Company has experienced a limited number of failures with the mounting fasteners for the stabilizer jacks in the population listed above. The head of the fastener may snap off and cause the jack to become loose and separate from the vehicle in transit. If the fastener fails the jack separates from the vehicle, there is an increased risk of personal injury and property damage"

GMSIMS
08-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Should I take the trailer to the dealer or just ask Keystone to send me the new fasteners? Seems like an easy fix

-Greg-

08quadram
08-23-2013, 04:07 AM
My dealer said they have to do it. I've replaced fasteners at both rear jacks (jacks also), but they would need to do it again. 5 hour round trip for 16 screws seems hardly worth it. he suggested finding another closer dealer if possible for this one due to the distance or wait until i'm in the area.

fla-gypsy
08-23-2013, 05:06 AM
Not sure if this was posted yet;

2013 KEYSTONE BULLET RECALL - #13V338000

RECALL FOR EQUIPMENT

Keystone RV Company (Keystone) is recalling certain model year 2013 Bullet and Passport trailers manufactured October 1, 2012, through March 5, 2013. The mounting fasteners for the stabilizer jacks may fail causing the jack to become loose and separate from the vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GaryWT
08-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Received a letter for my premier bullet, will have to take a look.

trikerbob
08-23-2013, 09:43 AM
My letter came yesterday, and mine also has the two bolt/two self-tapping screws. I haven't talked to the dealer yet, so we'll see what gives. I, too, am in the situation for a six hour round trip drive to do a one hour fix.

Robert:confused:

08quadram
08-23-2013, 12:05 PM
my letter came today. Mine has 4 screws per jack. I was about that close to welding them on.

trikerbob
08-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Talked to my dealer's service manager today. Because this is considered a DOT issue, the dealer has to do the service work. Since there is no time limit on the repairs, and since we are so far away, he told me to let him know ahead of time when we come camping in their area, and he would work me in, do the repairs, and we could be on our way to the campsite. That sounds fair to me. So that's what we'll do.

See ya,
Robert:)

erjs05
08-25-2013, 06:19 AM
What a pain in the butt, received my recall letter in the mail. We leaving for our camping trip next weekend and I don't really have time to go before then as I work a 10 hour day. I decided to check the screws to see if it could wait till after our trip. As I was checking to see if they're tight just by trying to turn them with my fingers 1/2 of a screw came off in my finger and another stabilizer is also missing a screw. Now I have to try to figure out a way to get this done before next weekend, I'm just amazed at the stupidity and how much more this is going to cost them now. Sorry for the rant I'm just really annoyed about it.

BulletOwner1
08-25-2013, 07:20 AM
These RV manufs just make one scratch there head and wonder "what were they thinking?". On my 2012 Bullet the jacks are attached using two bolts and two self drilling screws. So in 2013 they went to just 4 screws? I thought that model year changes were supposed to be for improvements :dizzy: !!!! Silly me.

MarkECampr
08-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Hi Group.
I was in DC last week when I got my recall letter. So I didn't see it untill Sunday 8/25. Upon reading it my first thought was, "over-torqued and the bolt heads were shearing off". Sure enough I had lost one screw head on the front right jack of my Bullet. (Just picked it up the end of May)
The front jacks only had two screws each, the rears had three. It'll be interesting to see if they take the time to drill out the bolt or try to talk me into just moving it farther in on the frame.
I wouldn't want to see one of those jacks bouncing down the road. Especially after tearing up the underside of the trailer. :eek:

08quadram
08-28-2013, 08:20 AM
It'll be interesting to see if they take the time to drill out the bolt or try to talk me into just moving it farther in on the frame.
I wouldn't want to see one of those jacks bouncing down the road. Especially after tearing up the underside of the trailer. :eek:

I used a needle nose pliers to remove the ends of the screws. they protrude on mine into a welded on tube. Didn't need to drill anything. new screws and I was set. Now, the dealer can do it again.

MarkECampr
08-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Just got off the phone with two local upstate NY dealers - neither knew too much about the recall so I fax'd it to them. The parts have to be ordered from Keystone and he said that it looks like they're using 4 bolts per jack. We'll know more when the parts come in. His parts order and work sheets all have to have the VIN number.

erjs05
08-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Dropped the camper off to the dealers at 9:30 this morning and was done before lunch. Glad my dealer took care of it. The service manager told me Keystone is only paying them for 1/2 hour labor. He said it's been taking them an hour which is what the recall notice said. I don't think the dealer should have to pay for Keystones mistake. I really like our dealer, they've been great to work with from day 1.

MISailor
08-29-2013, 02:12 PM
recalling certain model year 2013 Bullet and Passport trailers manufactured October 1, 2012, through March 5, 2013. --

My TT is not covered by this recall based on the manufacture dates listed since mine rolled off the line on 8-1-12 but I thought I'd give a look at my attachment situation just the same. What I found is a hybrid of what others have found. My front jacks are mounted on closed channels with 4 screws each while the rear jacks are mounted on open channels with 2 screws and 2 bolts arranged diagonally. All 4 jacks appear to be secure (at the moment) but it seems like maybe my situation should be covered by the recall too.:confused:

erjs05
09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Dropped the camper off at the dealer last Thursday at 9:00. At 11:00 the dealer called and said it was all set, great service. Dealer was not happy with Keystone, he said they were only paying for 1/2 hour labor and it's been taking them an hour. I should him the recall notice that say's it takes an hour and he asked if he could keep it. This shouldn't cost the dealer money and I hope he makes out. Replacements are much larger and shouldn't break off.

KJcachers
09-21-2013, 07:03 PM
I have the 2 bolts, 2 self tap screws and no letter and I just got my trailer back today from the dealer for another issue and they said they had no other recalls on it....yet. 2013 Bullet 246RBS date Code 4/3/2012

Randy_K
09-21-2013, 08:55 PM
I got my letter as well. Most of mine were had the self tapping screws broken off. Had one stabilizer held on by one screw. No way im going to spend 4 hours driving plus gas to have a dealer do the repair, even if I could get them to do it. I will drill out the old screws and replace then all myself. I had to fix everything else my self so this is no different.:banghead:

PT RV`er
11-01-2013, 05:28 AM
I just bought my 2013 Passport 3220 FB and it`s still at the dealer. I need to call them and see if they are aware of this recall. If not, I`ll let them know and make sure they check all jacks before I leave with it.

CHIEF MK
11-07-2013, 11:26 AM
I have a 2014 23RB Passport, and my stabilizer's have 4 bolts with nuts and lock washers on all 4 sides. Guess I got lucky, or they corrected it on the 2014 models.

PT RV`er
11-08-2013, 04:22 AM
I have a 2014 23RB Passport, and my stabilizer's have 4 bolts with nuts and lock washers on all 4 sides. Guess I got lucky, or they corrected it on the 2014 models.

That's the way it they should have been mounted from the get go. With the weight and movement the jacks have to endure when set up, can`t believe they thought screws would hold up. For now, mine are secure, but I might replace them all with a bolt and nut. That's the way my old Dutchman had them mounted.

fordmastech
11-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Just Had mine done on my 2013 passport I'm going to. Pick it up tomorrow for lunch then headed to the campground

Sent from my iPhone

Davepitt
03-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Hi Chief,

I have the same trailer as yours and it looks fine. Hopefully we will have no recalls.

David

AWC ret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08quadram
03-26-2014, 08:14 AM
I received a call from Keystone directly out of the blue. They are going to send me the jacks/hardware and I will install. The dealer is over 2 hours away.

CHIEF MK
03-31-2014, 04:15 PM
Hi Chief,

I have the same trailer as yours and it looks fine. Hopefully we will have no recalls.

David

AWC ret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good deal Chief, and thanks for your service. :)

Family Hideout
09-04-2014, 01:56 PM
We just purchased a 2015 27 DBS Hornet Hideout and have the same issues with the bolts rusted thru and falling off. Taking back to dealer to get repaired. I cannot believe they would sell a new 2015 camper with rusted jacks.