PDA

View Full Version : towing motorcycle behind a 5th wheel

danimal
08-14-2013, 03:56 PM
My 2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS 5th wheel has a 2" receiver attached to the bumper with U-bolts. I would like to attach a motorcycle dolly to this receiver to pull my Harley Sportster 1200 behind the 5th wheel. With this dolly, the front wheel of the bike would be off the ground attached to the dolly which is inserted in the receiver and the rear wheel would be "trailering". My questions are has anybody ever tried this and would the bumper have sufficient strength for this type of setup? Thanks

Festus2
08-14-2013, 04:23 PM
While I don't tow anything, I would not recommend the setup you have. If you value your m/c and the safety and lives of others, have something welded or bolted onto the frame of the RV. Then you'll be fine.

LittleJoe
08-14-2013, 04:46 PM
The bumpers on these trailers are not fit to tow anything on.
I second the suggestion to have a receiver hitch welded by an experienced welder to the frame of the trailer (or bolted with grade 8 hardware).
Then you will at least never need to worry about the hitch falling off.

Outbackmel
08-15-2013, 06:18 AM
1. Know the LAWs b4 doing anything.
2. If u do it, find the best welder you can and do a frame mount.
3. Pray ( a lot as you travel) you cannot see back there unless you mount a camera.
4. Whatever loose interpretation of the law u choose, nothing happens until
an accident. Those TV ad attorneys will be contacting you through the legal process.

1a. Hide your assets. You have a high probability of transfering your wealth to others! Get your insurance coverage for any modifications in writing, clearly explained, in detail and what they will pay.

I looked at similar options for 3 years snd gave up. Rent a Harley Sportster where you go thru Eagle Riders and enjoy yourself. Ps; have 2 bikes and been a licensed rider for 55 years.

SAABDOCTOR
08-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Outbackmel That is some of the best advice I have ever heard well done.:)

danimal
08-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Thank you for your responses. I thought the bumper seemed kind of flimsy for towing anything. My guess is that it was probably installed for a bicycle rack. I do know a great welder and I will have him weld something to the frame, probably replacing the current bumper with larger, stronger, square tubing. I do not know the laws regarding towing doubles but I have sure seen much speculation about them on this site. That said, not sure if this would constitute a double trailer tow. I certainly would not have any length or weight concerns with my rig. Lastly, I spent many years as a business turnaround consultant and court ordered liquidator so all my assets are protected and untouchable. Not that I do anything whereby I would run a risk of losing anything, but in this litigious society, better safe than sorry.

tsenior
03-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Has anyone here tried the Idaho Tote? I'm really intrigued but hesitant because I can't see the bike while it's being towed....scary.

unyalli
03-23-2014, 03:54 AM
Out west here people tow all sorts of things behind their fivers even some with TT's. I know one guy towed an enclosed trailer with two bikes inside behind his TT for years without issue. In Cheyenne we have a welding shop has been welding things to the rear of all manner of trailer for decades. Local RV dealers will bring your RV to them for a hitch before you take delivery. I've seen very large boats with twin engines going up I25 behind large fifth wheels so a small trailer with a bike on it would be nothing. Just make sure you get a good hitch installed. Curt even has bolt on RV hitches. I'd rather get one welded on. I would also get a camera. Many of the Jaycos come with a hitch from the factory.

Wireless Camera (http://www.4ucam.com/Wireless-Backup-Camera-7-inch-Monitor-9901-Color-RV-Cam-Truck-Trailer-Rear-View-IR-Night-Vision.html)

Curt RV Hitch (http://www.curtmfg.com/Category/13/RV%20Hitches)

-Jeff

bsmith0404
03-23-2014, 04:31 AM
I've towed a boat and ATV trailer behind mine many times. My dad has been towing a boat behind his for at least 15 years . Biggest lesson learned, tack weld the nut on the trailer ball, do that on any ball hitch. They will and do come loose from time to time.

A camera is a great tool for keeping an eye on things

crash
03-25-2014, 02:28 AM
How about one of these made by Blue Ox ,looks pretty well made.I see them all the time behind rvs,agian you would need to do something with your bumper.Just my two cents:D

bsmith0404
03-25-2014, 02:47 AM
How about one of these made by Blue Ox ,looks pretty well made.I see them all the time behind rvs,agian you would need to do something with your bumper.Just my two cents:D

I have one of those for the dirt bike as well. They work great, but I'm not sure what the load rating is on them. It was very easy to load a couple hundred pound dirt bike on it, couldn't imagine trying to load a 700 lbs street bike on it.

limey
03-25-2014, 05:14 AM
Crash - you will find that those "bumper carriers" can only be installed on a very limited number of vehicles, especially if you want to carry a 600+lb motorcycle. The rear of a 5er is simply not designed to support it.

Take a look at "swivel wheel" trailers. The BIG advantage to them is that they are considered part of the 5er, not a trailer. So, provided you do not exceed the max length limitations, you are legal in all states!

crash
03-25-2014, 05:18 AM
I agree on the bumper ratings ,I was just throwing out ideas ,We dont have that problem on hauling toys we have a 14ft garage in our Raptor,I can put 2 harleys and a golf cart in there ,its close but it has been done several times just saying:D

fibromob
04-03-2014, 04:28 PM
before you transfer so much weight at the back you need to make sure you keep 15% of the weigh of the set up on the truck .
not having tong weight will make your trailer fish tail like crazy and this is how many people end up losing control of their units and crash
I seen 2 in the ditch in the last 2 year both over losing control of a fish tailing trailer

Edited after seeing you pull a fifth wheel
left it for others that could think to do this mod and make sure they account for the weight distribution