PDA

View Full Version : New Owner Looking for Right TV

Pjburkett
08-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Hi, I am a new Keystone Cougar Xlite RV owner.. Just thought I would check out the site and review all the articles. I am actually looking to find out what has been the best tow vehicle for this kind of trailer. I took the cart before the horse. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Haven't been an owner for several years. Never had anything this big either. Its a 28 ft.

SlowPoke
08-11-2013, 04:56 PM
:wlcm:Hi Pjburkett!

I am in no way gonna try to answer any question that I haven't got the info to backup...lol But I will tell you from experience ; Make sure you pay attention to hitch, weight distribution, braking, and sway control.

Unless it's a 5'ver....Then render my recommendation useless ...:confused:

Woodsrider
08-11-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm new to this too. I aired on the side of caution and went overkill on the tow vehicle. I have a new Bullet 230BHS (27 ft OAL), and it only weighs in at just under 4500 dry. I bought a clean, low mileage 2003 2500HD Duramax and had the dealer set everything up with a 4 point sway control weight distributing hitch. The truck already had a prodigy 2 brake controller installed.
It's way more than I needed for this light of a trailer, but It sure feels good back there, and 18mpg towing is nice too.

KanTC
08-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Welcome to the forum Pjburkett, glad you joined us.:wlcm:
Please include your Xlite model number & year, so members can give specific feedback. ;)

Happy shopping!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

davidjsimons
08-12-2013, 02:42 AM
Hi, I am a new Keystone Cougar Xlite RV owner.. Just thought I would check out the site and review all the articles. I am actually looking to find out what has been the best tow vehicle for this kind of trailer. I took the cart before the horse. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Haven't been an owner for several years. Never had anything this big either. Its a 28 ft.

I own a 28RBS Cougar X-Lite and love it. My only bit of caution to offer you while selecting a tow vehicle is to be mindful of this units heavy tongue weight. It comes in at 955 lbs dry. Due to payload capacity limitations, I would recommend a 3/4 ton truck and about 148" of wheelbase for a stable towing platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hansel
08-17-2013, 07:18 AM
:wlcm:

Get a 3/4 or 1 ton, whomever make you want (Ford,Chevy,GMC or Dodge)

Happy camping"bouncey:

Loriv247
08-21-2013, 10:25 AM
We love our 2012 Ram 3500 DRW. You can barely tell there is a 5'er back there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

SAABDOCTOR
08-21-2013, 01:13 PM
I am in on the 3/4 ton and up. if you can swing the 1 ton. the next time you trade up in trailers you got the truck part covered. the secure feeling of having more truck than you need is a great feeling and even though i own a dodge all three make great trucks. :wlcm: to the forum and enjoy all the adventures.:cool:

audio1der
08-22-2013, 10:33 AM
All of the advice above is solid.
You need to pay attention to the tow vehicle's payload which is often exceeded long before max towing weight.
You should also consider the length of the trailer, not just the weight. A 28' unit presents a lot of side area to wind, passing vehicles and semi-trailers. While a properly outfitted half ton MAY be able to tow the trailer going by the book, you'll have nearly nothing left for payload and the truck will get pushed around.
Trust me; being pushed around by your trailer is NOT a confidence inspiring feeling, and you'll not fully enjoy RV'ing the way you could.