PDA

View Full Version : Effective Wireless Rearview Camera

Jim Dow
08-10-2013, 04:52 PM
I am currently attempting to assemble my own effective/cheap wireless rearview camera for my 5er and overcome the range limitations being experienced by everyone, even with those expensive readymade wireless rearview cameras.

I purchased a nice, clear-view rearview camera unit on Amazon.com for $13.

I purchased a nice, clear-view 4" monitor on Amazon.com for $27.

I purchased a Boscam 5.8Ghz 200mW wireless audio/video TX/RX (transmitter/receiver) set for $54. Also, I purchased a backup 200mW TX/RX unit for $64 - just to ensure that I have a chance of success.

All the equipment is 12V. The anticipated transmission range exceeds 300'.

I plan to mount the camera in the tag frame on the back of the 5er.
I plan to mount the AV trasmitter in the front compartment of the 5er or in the bedroom closet, whichever makes sense in terms of best reception.
I plan to mount the AV receiver/monitor in the truck cab.

I'll let you know how everything turns out.

If anyone has tried this before, please comment.

Quad
08-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Sounds great! Hope it works well

Jim Dow
08-11-2013, 07:05 AM
The rearview camera and monitor are shown in the following pictures.

I plan on documenting this experiment for others on this forum.

DieselMatt
08-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Very interesting! I can't wait to see how this works out as I would love to do the same thing for my 5er.

Quad
08-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Is that the 3.5" or the 4.3" monitor?

Branky
08-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Hello,
I am following this with great interest.
Did you get the Boscam Rx/Tx kit from Boscam in Hong Kong in did you source it in the US?

Cheers,
...Brent...

sjturbo
08-13-2013, 09:34 AM
OK JD,
You certainly got my attention! The prices for the market units are outrageous! Looks like yours is in my budget as well as the improved distance. Please keep us up to date!! Thanks!

scuba0331
08-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Subscribed!

Jim Dow
08-19-2013, 06:37 PM
The Boscam was my first choice; and I still may go back to it. However, I found a noname 2.4/5.8 Ghz unit so that is what I am trying now - just to try out the two frequencies. It was cheaper. I expect the 5.8 will survive.

I'm not quite through with the assembly yet; but I should be finished this week. I will report later.

sjturbo
08-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the report card.

Jim Dow
08-20-2013, 05:05 PM
OK, I hooked up the wireless transmitter and receiver today on the bench; and everything worked as planned - good reception.

Now, I have to assemble the power supply portion of the system and lengthen the cables (power/video) for the camera and test them - hopefully tomorrow (Wednesday).

Perhaps on Thursday, I will test the range between the transmitter and receiver - if I'm successful tomorrow. I expect to be successful.

I will not be able to make the final install until next weekend when we go down to the camper.

Jim Dow
08-20-2013, 06:10 PM
OK, I hooked up the wireless transmitter and receiver today on the bench; and everything worked as planned - good reception.

Now, I have to assemble the power supply portion of the system and lengthen the cables (power/video) for the camera and test them - hopefully tomorrow (Wednesday).

Perhaps on Thursday, I will test the range between the transmitter and receiver - if I'm successful tomorrow. I expect to be successful.

I will not be able to make the final install until next weekend when we go down to the camper.

Jim Dow
08-21-2013, 10:51 AM
OK, I'm mostly successful. Here is the wireless transmitter/receiver doing their job on the bench. This setup includes the long wiring (power/video) necessary to operate the camera in the back of the TT with the transmitter in the front of the camper to minimize the amount of TT the signal has to pass through.

So far I have about $120 in the equipment. I still have to have the power sources - cigarette lighter plugs with inverters to power the transmitter/receiver - another $50.

Next step: Plug it all up in the TT which will occur the end of next week.

In the video system picture, the gray box in the center is a power supply used for testing.

Jim Dow
08-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Well, I burned in the unit on a test bench all day yesterday and last night; and it was still working this morning.

Today, I hooked it all up in the TV and everything worked just fine. I was getting well over 200' range - clear line of sight.

Next weekend I will install it in the TT; and I don't expect any problems.

Total cost of the unit was about $170.

See Pics!

Jim Dow
08-23-2013, 05:36 PM
I have tried several times to update my progress; but this forum will not take a valid input. I'll try later.

WYO 85
08-24-2013, 05:03 AM
Jim could you list the parts you are using and where they were bought, I would like to try this too.

Jim Dow
08-24-2013, 07:16 PM
After burning the wireless camera in over a 24 hour on a test bench, I installed the camera system in the TV and ran it successfully - with a range of approximately 200 feet.

Next weekend, I will attempt the install in the TT as well. I expect to be successful.

sjturbo
08-25-2013, 06:23 AM
Sounds like you've got a winner so far! Can you estimate the size of the field of view yet?

Jim Dow
09-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Well, after losing a couple of update posts on the forum, I finally installed the wireless camera in the TT; and it worked as planned.

(1) I mounted the camera on the ladder in the back using regular tie-wraps.
(2) I ran the video cable (Radio Shack) and the 12V power wires from the back of the TT (ladder) along the frame forward to the front storage compartment.
(3) I replaced the standard battery box for my second 12V battery with a marine battery box - to gain easy access to 12V power (+/-) lugs [to test the wireless receiver one last time] along with a 12V cigarette plug outlet [to provide power to the wireless transmitter].
(4) I mounted the wireless transmitter on the back wall of the front storage compartment - shortest distance/fewer obstructions to the wireless receiver in the truck. Done with the transmission!
(5) I mounted the wireless receiver in the TV using the cigarette lighter outlet to power both the wireless receiver and the monitor. Done with the receiver.

I tested the now wireless rearview camera system and got about 300' range, as expected - with the storage compartment closed - more than sufficient. I was using the 5.8Ghz transmission/reception signal rather than the optional 2.4Ghz mode. There was little to no interference detected.

Success!!! I'm now ready to take it on the road!!!

Jim Dow
09-02-2013, 06:22 PM
I posted the final note on the Technical session - rearview camera.