PDA

View Full Version : Leave ceiling vents open??

gearhead
08-09-2013, 03:08 PM
We have had the Cougar 18SGS for about a month now. Made one short shakedown cruise, no issues! Waiting on cooler weather to take a trip.
I had the plastic covers installed over my ceiling vents when we bought the trailer. I didn't want to be one of those going down the highway with the vent cap flopping in the breeze.
Question: Does anyone open their vents during storage for ventilation, relying on the cover to prevent rain blowing in? The slots in the cover are pointed down and it looks like it would be difficult for rain to blow in.

Javi
08-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Me :D :D :D

Jim W
08-09-2013, 03:32 PM
No. To much dirt blows in during storage.

Just my opinion.

Jim

gepaine
08-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Me too!

Our trailer is stored outdoors from October to May with one window and both ceiling vents opened about 1/4 inch. (The window opens from the bottom so rain can't get in.) We get no rain thru the ceiling vents. We also get no mold or mildew inside and we live near Seattle. (We use no moisture absorbers or anything like that.) Hard to find a place more wet and damp in the winter.

hankpage
08-09-2013, 03:34 PM
My vents are always open except when traveling. It really helps to stop condensation. The MaxxAir fan is set to auto at 95°F and with the recent hot spell has been opening most days in the afternoon.

gearhead
08-09-2013, 03:42 PM
I have had one vent cracked open while stored (outside) since new. It has been very hot the last 2-3 weeks. Heat advisories--105-108 "feels like" temps. I keep thinking the trailer is sitting out in the sun just "cooking". I think I will open it a little more and the other one too. Might rain this weekend (yea!!) and I will keep an eye on it for leaks.
Thanks folks.

Ken / Claudia
08-09-2013, 09:54 PM
We had a 40 ft park trailer for 8 years at the Washington coast. Never left vents open due to high winds and rain. Got the covers and tested them while there and NO water came in. We than left them open year around and never had water come in. They held up to a 92mph wind. Neigbor said thats what he seen on his meter during a winter storm. Since I have them on 2 campers.

gearhead
08-11-2013, 11:31 AM
We had a rain yesterday. I had the vents open about 2". No rain got in.
Thanks for y'alls info.

Retired_Jim
08-12-2013, 05:14 AM
I have 2 MaxxAir Vent covers and leave mine open all the time (except when the heat or AC is running). I am a believer that air flow through the camper is a good thing. Even in the hardest rain storms we have never had a rain issue.