PDA

View Full Version : Leaking air mattress

Lenster
08-08-2013, 10:43 AM
The blow-up sofa air mattress springs a leak during its 3rd use. Air is coming out of the builtin pump. You can hear it and it stops if you push hard on the pump. There 6 small screws which I'm assuming will take this apart. Has anyone done this?

Contacted the dealership and found out there is no warranty on the air mattresses, presumably because of the abuse they take. The warranty guy is not returning my calls, but this is a defective pump, not a leaking mattress.

Also found out it's $280 Canadian plus tax for a replacement. Just to have another leaking pump? Did anyone replace this with one that actually lasted for more than a week?

Thanks.

Owner of 2011 Cougar 327RES 5th Wheel

brucem26
08-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Our blow up mattress on the Outback 295RE (previous trailer) leaked after not too long. I went to Canadian Tire and bought a Coleman unit for sub $100 and never had another problem with it or the built-in pump.

therink
08-08-2013, 02:06 PM
One of my air mattresses leaked at the pump after 12 uses (2 months). The dealer ordered a new one and replaced it under warranty, no questions asked. I would say that it is covered under warranty.
Steve

mr.windows1
08-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Ours leaked after 5 uses contacted dealer ordered me a new one and they told me that keystone said not to store it in the bag that attaches to the back of sofa where it's made to be stored, said they thought that they were being pinched, I think they are just cheap and should look for a new vendor, but it was warrantied

Lenster
08-09-2013, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the information. I doubted I was the only one with this issue. I have a Woods one I will use for now. Still looking for someone who opened up the built in pump enclosure for guidance.

I consider Cougar trailers as middle of road units. There's a lot of things Keystone goes cheap on, such as quality of air mattresses, size of awnings, make of TV's, etc. But as my father-in-law who owned a $100k Cedar Creek said, it doesn't matter what you spend, they're still cheap...

Len
2011 Cougar 327RES Polar Plus Silver Label Options Sedona Suede Interior
2011 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 6.0L gas 410 rear std box 18" Denali rims Line-X Spray Box Liner
15K PullRite SuperGlide Hitch ISR 2700 Series w/Reece Mounts

dankent
08-09-2013, 06:10 AM
Mine failed the first night out .. through the pump, it was replaced by my dealer. Not sure if they had it covered under warrenty .. i imagine so as it took a couple weeks to get.

jerseyphil
08-10-2013, 04:05 PM
I never liked the idea of an air mattress convertible sofa, so I just replaced mine with a traditional, home-type convertible sofa.

Lenster
08-13-2013, 07:38 AM
The dealer has informed me that most RV manufacturers have gone back to the sofa matress type sofa couches because the air mattresses are too problematic. I had a jackknife type couch in my least trailer and they were not comfortable at all.

The warranty covers the mechanical pump, so provided I can prove it's the pump and not a cut in the fabric, they will cover the replacement. So now I've got to get the mattress to the dealer about 2 hours away...

therink
08-13-2013, 08:58 AM
The dealer has informed me that most RV manufacturers have gone back to the sofa matress type sofa couches because the air mattresses are too problematic. I had a jackknife type couch in my least trailer and they were not comfortable at all.

The warranty covers the mechanical pump, so provided I can prove it's the pump and not a cut in the fabric, they will cover the replacement. So now I've got to get the mattress to the dealer about 2 hours away...

My dealer let me swap it out when the new one came into save me a trip. He just had me email him photo of mattress with dimensions.
Maybe your dealer will do this or even ship it. Much cheaper than driving.

tsenior
03-22-2014, 04:44 PM
2011 Montana with a leaking mattress used once, replaced by a second factory leaking mattress....used once. Once again...junk junk junk

Ayotte
03-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Ours was also leaking at the pump. Be sure that you have it in the proper place to hold air. Ours seemed very touchy when it came to keeping the mattress inflated.

JRTJH
03-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Any dirt or foreign material in the O-ring seal will cause the pump to leak around the valve. There is a procedure in the owner's manual that came with the mattress to clean and reseat the O-ring. We had a slight leak at the O-ring and once I cleaned it, we never had any further leaking. You might want to check the clear silicone O-ring seat, it may fix your leaking problem.

chartrand
03-23-2014, 02:59 AM
Can you replace the air mattress with one of these?

http://www.mattressinsider.com/sofa-bed-mattress.html

Not sure if those type of sofas will fold up with a mattress inside of them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

stlucia
03-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Ours leaked after a few nights use, no more than 5 nights. Dealer got a new one for me under warranty.

I agree with the rest of you guys...piece of JUNK.

aggiesailor
07-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Did anyone have luck replacing theirs after the warranty was expired? I used it twice and it completely deflates overnight. Any recommendations would be helpful! Has anyone overhauled the pump.

therink
07-31-2014, 03:09 AM
The original mattress in our bunkhouse leaked after a few months and replaced it under warranty. The second one started leaking after a few months too. Both were pinholes on the edge where it folds. Total junk. I repaired the leak on the second one with Eternabond roof tape (what I had on hand). I'm sure it will eventually develop another leak soon.

homer3
11-03-2015, 04:21 PM
So it seems as though most leaks are occurring due to issues with the pump. Mined failed right away. I mean not even 3 nights. First time I blew up seemed okay. Placed back in bag to put away couch. 2nd time my daughter and her husband slept on it. First night completely flat by middle of the night. Woke to find my son-in-law on the ground. He said that was more comfortable. 3thd time, brought it into the house to work on it, my 15 year old grand son was spending the night. Went flat on him as well. Is the position of valve that touchy. Does not seem to be leaking around any of the seams or tie down straps, used water and bubbles to test, no negative results. Just wondering if pump mechanism could really be the problem.