PDA

View Full Version : Challenger Receiver Hitch

Ginther
08-05-2013, 06:45 AM
Anyone have a 2" receiver hitch installed on the rear of their Challenger?

Mine is a 2009 Challenger 34SAQ and I'm researching better way to carry our mountain bikes. Putting them inside the trailer is a pain and messy after a day of riding in the mud and dirt.

Since my rig has a molded plastic rear bumper and enclosed underbelly I haven't taken it all apart to see what the structure looks like inside.

I prefer to do things myself, so any input or DIY recommendations are appreciated.

Ginther
03-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Bump.

Think this will work?

Curt 13703 (http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Trailer-Hitches/Curt/13703.html?feed=npn&gclid=CJSCgZXzlb0CFcli7AodSmgAPw)

Curt 13703 (http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13703)

JRTJH
03-15-2014, 07:02 PM
If you are considering using the Curt bolt on hitch to pull a small trailer with your dirt bikes on it, it may work for you. If, however, you're considering using it to carry the bikes on a ramp mounted to the receiver, you need to go to the Curt Hitch website and read the installation instructions carefully before going any further. Also, on the link you provided is the following warning:

"Warning: All non-trailer loads (bike racks, cargo carriers, etc.) applied to this product must be supported by auxiliary stabilizing straps. For use with RV-approved accessories only."

On the link, the warning is located below the FEATURES and just above the SPECS.

Essentially, what Curt is saying is that the receiver is "OK" to pull a load, but is not strong enough (in the mounts) to support the twisting forces created by supporting a static load on the end of the receiver unless additional supporting straps are installed. If you're going to have to install extra straps, you might as well just install the entire system and save the almost $400 the hitch costs. I had mine installed for $350 in July of last year by a metal fabrication company in the local area. My previous RV was a 2011 Springdale fifth wheel. I had a hitch installed on it by another local company (that no longer does private work) for $325 in 2012. You'd probably be better off doing a total custom install rather than buying a $400 hitch that needs modification to work for your purposes.

Just my thoughts...... Good Luck on whatever you decide.

Ginther
03-16-2014, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the reply. All good points.

Kinda sad that it can pull 3500 lbs and handle a 350 lb tongue weight, but let a bicycle rack with two bikes (less than 100 lbs total) wobble around a little and it may void any warranty.

:(

My bike carrier has a bolt instead of a pin that goes thru the receiver. When it's tight, the rack doesn't move AT ALL. It locks it down tight. I wonder it that would relieve the wobble stresses and need for additional straps?

" Included Snug-Tite™ receiver lock virtually eliminates hitch carrier movement in receiver and locks the carrier to the vehicle. "

Thule T2 (http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/hitch-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-t2-2-bike-916xtr-_-916xtr)

JRTJH
03-16-2014, 06:31 AM
I agree, you'd think it would be sturdier. I'm no mechanical engineer, but my theory is that the sliding frame attachment brackets aren't designed to support the rotational forces without eventually "rounding out" and allowing the square crossbar to start moving up and down.

I'd suppose that if those brackets were welded to the crossbar after being adjusted to the specific trailer frame, there would be no rotational movement and it would be sturdier. That's just my theory, I could be way off track thinking that. At any case, Curt says it's not for a static load such as a bike rack or platform without added straps to support the load.

Maybe a "real engineer" has some thoughts?

SAD
03-16-2014, 06:43 AM
.... At any case, Curt says it's not for a static load such as a bike rack or platform without added straps to support the load.

Maybe a "real engineer" has some thoughts?

I'm no engineer either....

However, just apply some simple geometry and perhaps their recommendation will make sense.

Take 200lbs supported by the hitch in two distinct scenarios...

a) 200lbs of crap in a hitch mounted tray (small generator; gas cans; some random junk your wife picked up at the flea market)

b) 200lbs of tongue weight from a small boat trailer

Each one presents the same static load to the hitch.... HOWEVER in a dynamic situation (bouncing as it goes down the road), the boat trailer's tongue weight has TWO control points -> the frame; and then the trailer axles. The pivot point (hitch ball) is in-between them.

The hitch-tray full of junk only has ONE control point... And the "tongue" weight acts as a lever against the center point (hitch ball) and the control point (frame) based upon an imaginary lever that extends behind the trailer (where the trailer axles ~would~ be).