PDA

View Full Version : Big Bang from Suburban Water Heater in our Cougar

John and Eileen
08-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Hi everybody, We have a 2011 Cougar Half Ton 26BRSWE & I have a question about our water heater and the loud bang it made the last 2 nights after turning on the switch for the propane to heat it up. Has this happened to anybody else? It's pretty scary (this is Eileen writing this so maybe just that it scares me more) but it's very strange that after 3 weeks of using it, suddenly big bangs for the last 2 nights. :-( What do you suggest we do?
Thank You :-)

byrdr1
08-03-2013, 03:45 AM
gas build up. the igniter is not close enough to light it as soon as the gas is in the chamber. so it builds up and you get the Boom noise. the igniter needs to be adjusted close to the gas. Mine did the same thing and its simple adjustment just don't be looking into the chamber after you do this. It will blow out a flame and you could get a face full. adjust the settings a little at a time.
randy

therink
08-03-2013, 03:49 AM
I recommend removing the burner tube. Sounds like there may be a spider Web in the tube causing air flow issues. If this is the problem it is an easy fix. You can also run a pipe cleaner through the tube without removing it.
Steve

John and Eileen
08-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks you much byrdr1 and therink ! It was a matter of bending the element more towards the tube because it looks like the tube pushed back the igniter when it had been installed. SO yes that was it, you are all so awesome, THANKS AGAIN (tx)