PDA

View Full Version : Weight Distribution grease fittings

MacinAfgn
08-02-2013, 01:41 PM
I am a new owner with a Pro Series weight distribution hitch. My dealer tech said that I should let a little paint wear away from the spring arms (round ends) then grease the grease fitting. Noticing a little wear from our inaugural tow I tried to grease the fitting today with little, if any, grease coming out. Does that grease fitting/nipple connection simply grease the round end of the spring bar? If that's the case I'll simply paint a little on the spring bars before I insert them into the hitch. Will that give me the same effect? How about the top of the ball? Does anyone here grease the ball? I have horrific "creaks and bangs" when turning and want to see those diminish. (tx)

chuck&gail
08-04-2013, 07:35 PM
ALWAYS grease the ball. Had a friend who didn't want to cause it was messy. He stopped at a layover one day and found ball almost completely unscrewed. Seems balled gauled to coupler so each turn loosened it a bit.

He is now a great believer in ball grease. Wheel bearing grease also works.

You have been warned.

Robby9
08-04-2013, 08:37 PM
I use white lithium spay on grease. It's a good lube and washes out of my clothes easier than grease since I'm always bumping into the dang hitch.

Clanton24v
08-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Yep wheel bearing grease seems to be a great " universal" grease for travel trailer use .

Ken / Claudia
08-04-2013, 10:03 PM
I have a small tube of grease in the trailer and get on a rubber glove. Apply a little on my fingers and wipe the top area of the bars and top and sides of ball. Throw away the glove. Than try and not get any on my clothes etc. Any grease willl do the job. None is not so good.

Pawpod
08-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Vaseline jelly works great. Tried this on our 3 week vacation trip after reading it someplace. 3000 k and it worked great. Had to add some more on week 2 as the rain washed some away. Went from grinds and creaks to virtually nothing. Side benefit was got some on my clothes and it washed out fine ( wife did use shout).

Sicapo
08-06-2013, 08:48 AM
I grease both WD bar and ball before each trip but I still hear some "noise" when turning. Could it be coming from the sway bar? I always thought I couldn't put grease on the sway bar, so where could it be coming from?