PDA

View Full Version : Adding speakers

GaryWT
07-29-2013, 04:01 AM
OK, I did my mods at the beginning of the season but it seems every time out we have a new on. Our Premier has the shared TV in the living area and bedroom. It also has shared DVD player as most do with the radio. The campground this week did not have cable nor could you get any channels on the TV so my wife put a movie on when she went to bed. The movie plays through the radio speakers and there are no speakers in the bedroom. The A speakers play in the living area and the C speakers are outside but nothing is connected to B. Our son complained because we had to turn the sound up to hear in the bedroom. Looks like I am finding some speakers to mount in the bedroom.

Randy_K
07-29-2013, 05:18 AM
When I bought our Passport Elite 23RB at the show we saw the "pre production " model. One of the things I liked was the extra speakers inside. When time came to pick ours up , a few things had changed including the removal of the two speakers on the "B" channel. The dealer told me it would be hard and expensive to add them. They offered to give it a try if I brought the trailer back in 6 months when they are slow.

Let me know how you make out with your mod.

Randy

hankpage
07-29-2013, 05:41 AM
:confused: Can't you get audio from the tv speakers??? Or use "B" out put to an aux. input on tv ??? This would seem to me as easiest solution if possible with your tv. JM2¢, Hank

If you go into the tv's setup menu you should be able to select the audio from the DVD player.

audio1der
07-29-2013, 06:20 AM
Interesting. Our 'C' has nothing attached, and we have talked about using it for some small speakers in the bedroom for the same reason.
A 3rd exterior speaker towards the rear of the trailer would be nice as well... more jobs LOL

zenbuck
07-29-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm going to have to try this when I get home.....

AdkWoody
07-29-2013, 11:05 AM
That's interesting. Our speakers are - A inside, C outside, B both inside and outside. But, the tv is only used in the living area. The bedrooms each have their own hook ups. I would look to see if you can get sound out of the tv speakers myself. That would be the most ost effective route in my opinion. Good luck!

michol02
07-29-2013, 09:36 PM
You could use wireless headphones. When the headphone base is plugged into the tv, it mutes the tv speakers, so it won't bother anyone else. It may work the same by plugging it into the DVD/radio. I have 2 sets I bought at "Wally World" and they both work on the same frequency, so I only have to plug 1 base into the tv for both headsets to work. Just throwing out a different option. :)

zenbuck
07-30-2013, 04:40 AM
Same problem here... The rca plugs L, R, are connectected to the tv.. I have to pull the head unit to see where they are connected.. If there is AV out and in, perhaps they are hooked up wrong.. The system may also just bypass the connections. There may be a menu setting on the unit for that as well.. I'll get a chance tonight to look at it again..

zenbuck
07-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Connections were ok... Just a poor design.. The only way to get audio when watching a DVD into the bedroom will be to add a set of speakers to B.. I am going to look for a surface mount speaker to go above the swivel mount...

hankpage
07-30-2013, 06:31 PM
You should have a red, white and yellow video and audio output from the DVD to the TV. If so you have to change the audio source in the menu setting of the TV to that input. It is a pain but you will have to do that and than switch it back when you want to watch regular TV. If these are not connected you can run the audio to the TV yourself...... Pro: cheaper and easier ... Con: only works for DVD and most likely not radio. Hope this helps, Hank

Whohasucovered
07-30-2013, 07:09 PM
We experienced the same thing this past weekend. It was driving me nuts as I was looking at the red/white cables hooked into the audio input on the TV but still no sound. I was thinking I was going to have to take apart the enclosure around the player to see if they had mixed up the output. Seems that Zenbuck already looked into that, thank you.

TandE
07-31-2013, 01:26 AM
What I found on both my trailers dvd player was that it had one video (yellow) output and a left and right (red and white) audio INPUT not and audio ouput for the cables. The only audio out on mine is the speaker wires. So if yours is like mine the audio wires connected to the tv will do nothing unless they are connected to an audio output on the TV itself so you can have audio even watching normal tv. Again this is on my type of radio in the trailer.

GaryWT
07-31-2013, 05:05 AM
OK, have not found what I want yet but I have done some looking around in the trailer. The A buttom is for inside, the C for outside, both in for both. The B wires are untouched on the stereo as I pulled it out the other day. There is the normal 3 wire plug for sound and picture from the stereo to the TV. I have played with both the stereo and TV remotes on the set up menus to get the sound to work on the tv steakers. Cannot get that to happen no matter what I try. Read the Jensen guide but no help there. As far as watching tv it works fine, when watch a movie, that is where the speakers in the main cabin is the onlt sound for the bedroom.

At first the wife wanted a tv put into the bedroom, then she wanted speakers, now she wants car type speaks and for me to cut holes in the cabinet about the tv to install.

Will continue to play to decide what we do.

zenbuck
07-31-2013, 05:10 AM
Another option is to use a different DVD player hooked directly to the tv... Unplug the yellow, red, and white rca jacks from the head unit and plug in to the other dvd player and the tv speakers will work just fine...
I'm going to look for some type of surface mount speakers as I really do not want to cut into the cabinets.... There are 2 sets of speaker wire for channel B that are not used.. Orange & brown

GaryWT
07-31-2013, 05:38 AM
Just looked again, the connections on the dvd player are video out and audio in so I guess we will never get sound out...

So, yes I do not want to cut holes myself so... if we just use a different dvd player then we will have the tv sound for either the living room or the bedroom, or find a small pair of surface skeakers and install them to the B wires. Will have to think about that as a new dvd player could also double for when we have fireside movies and connect it to the projector we have.

GaryWT
08-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Bought a DVD player, all set now.

Whohasucovered
08-01-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm going to take an old pair of computer speakers and plug into the headphone/auxiliary input and see what happens. I'm guessing that should work as well.

zenbuck
08-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Guess what I did?... Speaker B now works... I did the cut outs on either side on the top cabinet in the bedroom.. I had replaced the A speakers in the ceiling with a set of 3 ways last week so I had an extra set.. They do sound good.. Need to paint the grills to match the wood grain and I'm set...

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_89965_0_75d7966df121d7705627ef8070d9dda9.jpg

audio1der
08-02-2013, 05:31 AM
Guess what I did?... Speaker B now works... I did the cut outs on either side on the top cabinet in the bedroom.. I had replaced the A speakers in the ceiling with a set of 3 ways last week so I had an extra set.. They do sound good.. Need to paint the grills to match the wood grain and I'm set...

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_90000_0_75d7966df121d7705627ef8070d9dda9.jpg

I need to show your pic to the wife. Some decent 5 1/4" coaxials would work great (or cheap, used stuff off ebay/Kijiji).

zenbuck
08-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Now in brown...

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_90084_0_d58ccae5369c6bcaaec047e1bf8871a2.jpg

Whohasucovered
08-03-2013, 04:03 AM
Nicely done Zenbuck!! Looks great and I'm sure they sound great as well.

GaryWT
08-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Nice job that works as well. For now we will stay with the extra DVD player but maybe someday...

Mustange65
09-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Interesting. Our 'C' has nothing attached, and we have talked about using it for some small speakers in the bedroom for the same reason.
A 3rd exterior speaker towards the rear of the trailer would be nice as well... more jobs LOL

How did this work for you? My 2013 2650BH Passport is the same condition. Is it easy to buy external speakers for the bedroom and plug these into the empty speaker jack? I guess the DVD player needs to be removed to do this?

mom2budnbug
09-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Odd that they are all so different. Our A is inside, B is outside, and C is nothing. Sure we will add more speakers down the road.

Birddog-Singer
09-07-2013, 09:52 PM
My speakers don't seem to be hooked up like anyone else's. My C is hooked up to the two speakers outside. My A is hooked up the the left inside roof speaker and the B is hooked up to the right. I was going to buy speakers, install them in the bedroom and use A for the living room and B for the bedroom. If there wasn't a stereo connection I was just going to hook them up in parallel. I just don't understand why the outside speakers would be stereo and the inside mono. I guess I'll find out when I pull the speakers down.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2